Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spend it ! or save it for the kids ??

Spend it ! or save it for the kids ??

Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spend it ! or save it for the kids ??

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Did you use bramleys bought in Gib or somehow manage to find them over here?
I find the big apples in super sol are fine for apple pie, I do add a shed load of sugar though!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
The Ferrier, know it so well, kids had friend that lived there as you say I'm sure at the beginning it was OK, planners don't really think their designs through, mainly because they have never lived in anything like the Ferrier.
I lived in SEL from 1953 -72, eveywhere were street after street of terrace house's, great big places with lovely peeps, community spirit, they knock everything down except for where I lived and built the Aylesbury Estate round us. What a nightmare that has become, my sister still lives there, she seems happy enough.
isnt it a small world

My brother lived on the Aylesbury for about 4 years

Maryann - I used to work at British Gas at Sydenham til they re-located us to Croydon in 1995

Think this thread has gone off topic somewhat sorry everyone
Old Feb 11th 2007, 3:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd hate to be a kid starting off in work right now. I started work in 1972, and from what I see nowadays it was a doddle comparably. Theres so much pressure and stress these days in work, plus from my daughters point of view she also has a sizeable student loan to pay off eventually.

So, doubtless she'll find her own niche in life, but I will be more than happy to leave her a little nestegg when I shuffle off to wherever I'm shuffling off too.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:16 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maryann
My son has to sleep in a Charlton Pj set everynight, my hubby and his family are all 'addics'! We moved from sydenham just before our first daughter down to west malling. My family are millwall and depford born. Thre is something about a S.E londoner!
I had all my treatment for my babies in Tommys as well. Th O.K.R. Has very special memories!
Was a Man U fan until I got my season ticket with Charlton, now it is Charlton all the way, OH is for the Hammers but even he will show interest for them. My dad, brother and brother in law and nephews all support Millwall , well some one had too.

When we were looking to move back in 2001 had to make up our minds, Spain or ........ wait for it.... West Malling, see some lovely place's there, fell in love with a little cottage just off the high street. Know what you mean about being a S. E Londoner, just something about us. My in laws moved from East Street up to Crystal Palace back in 1972 when all the slum clearance was going on.

I worked at Guy's hospital, then we became a Trust with Tommies in my opinion that was the beginning of the end for Guy's, I can say that now I don't work there, mind you I said it often enough when I did. Worked in pathology there, I know from another thread you found this a hard time but really we always did everything in our power to benefit the patients and there families.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Spend it, there will alway's be the house or flat left which is a pretty fair gift.

Wouldn't have minded one of those myself as a gift.

I like most of us on here started with nothing and just grafted
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by spain
isnt it a small world

My brother lived on the Aylesbury for about 4 years

Maryann - I used to work at British Gas at Sydenham til they re-located us to Croydon in 1995

Think this thread has gone off topic somewhat sorry everyone
Hey Spain

Ferrier to the Aylesbury, now that's progress, I am well impressed!!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'd hate to be a kid starting off in work right now. I started work in 1972, and from what I see nowadays it was a doddle comparably. Theres so much pressure and stress these days in work, plus from my daughters point of view she also has a sizeable student loan to pay off eventually.

So, doubtless she'll find her own niche in life, but I will be more than happy to leave her a little nestegg when I shuffle off to wherever I'm shuffling off too.
Have to agree, I started back in 1969 and it was Fun, things are so much more pressured now for the kids, if they are lucky enough to get work in the first place. One of my daughters went to Uni and thankfully we were in the position that we could afford to keep her debt free, it meant we went with out for that much longer but then that's what you do for your kids. I now she left at the end of 3 years with a £600 over draft, but I paid that off for her so she could start her working life debt free. None of the others wanted to go down this line, they are all in work but the boys are never going to be in a position where they could buy their own homes they have just moved in together in a rented house, we are trying to convince them to buy a place together. Last week my youngest daughter phoned and said it had just dawned on her that she is 27 and it looks like she will never earn enough to buy her own place. When they say something like that I say to OH lets sell up take our savings and buy a big place somewhere so they can all come and live with us again, five kids, partners, grandchildren. He just looks at me, he does not utter a word, just looks....
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Was a Man U fan until I got my season ticket with Charlton, now it is Charlton all the way
I'm gutted, how can you change your allegiance like that. I'm a Man U supporter and my old business partner was a Charleton Fan (and a shareholder) so I was always commiserating with him for one reason or another!!
Old Feb 11th 2007, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm gutted, how can you change your allegiance like that. I'm a Man U supporter and my old business partner was a Charleton Fan (and a shareholder) so I was always commiserating with him for one reason or another!!
Sorry, but needs must, lived in Charlton for 30 years, our house was in the turning opposite the Road that the football ground was in, we could not only see the lights from our front garden but heard every yeeessss, and every nooooooo that was uttered there for 30 years except for when they moved to Crystal Palace ground, then we could park the car no problem....I realised I was a true fan when I went to see my much beloved MU play, I was to see Beckham play my dream was coming true, no score until the last minute and then Beckham scored. I have never in my life felt such a hollow pain in the pit of my stomach as I did that day along with every other Charlton fan there.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

With inheritance tax if you don't get rid of it before you die, the goverment will take the bulk of it anyway. I think it depends on whether you leave enough for you to be looked after when you stop working, or if you become old and reliable on others to look after you. If you blow everything whilst you can and then live to 90 plus are you expecting your children then to help you and support you financially?

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Another small decision which has to be made as we all get older is what do you do with all the money you have made over the years ?

Your property or propertys hold the bulk of most peoples money . along with savings and any other assetts .
Now whats the views on do you watch the pennies through your older years keep working til you cant work anymore ,thus ensuring your Children have a easy life through inheritance and the such like .

Or do you spend spend refinance or sell your assets and blow the money you made so when you die theres nothing left ?

My view is spend spend spend after all they have been wet nursed all there life anyways !!
And let them get working and make there money from hard graft as i did ..

But maybe i am just a hard old breed fella ?

Whats your views on this scenario which everyone with kids will have to choose one day !
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

helenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant futurehelenp has a brilliant future

I don't think these days there is as much emphasis on leaving all your money to the kids, both of our parents are quite sensible and don't take any risks. I think we live for the moment though, I will leave property for them to do with as they wish and help them out if i can but i am no good at saving for a rainy day, known a couple of people who have done that and have snuffed it before the rainy day comes.

Helen
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Was a Man U fan until I got my season ticket with Charlton, now it is Charlton all the way, OH is for the Hammers but even he will show interest for them. My dad, brother and brother in law and nephews all support Millwall , well some one had too.

When we were looking to move back in 2001 had to make up our minds, Spain or ........ wait for it.... West Malling, see some lovely place's there, fell in love with a little cottage just off the high street. Know what you mean about being a S. E Londoner, just something about us. My in laws moved from East Street up to Crystal Palace back in 1972 when all the slum clearance was going on.

I worked at Guy's hospital, then we became a Trust with Tommies in my opinion that was the beginning of the end for Guy's, I can say that now I don't work there, mind you I said it often enough when I did. Worked in pathology there, I know from another thread you found this a hard time but really we always did everything in our power to benefit the patients and there families.
LOL, I wonder if it was my cottage you looked at off the high street! You made the right choice, Spain is better than west malling.!
I know what you mean about the lions, someone has to!. I must say though the treatment I got at Tommies saved my children, it was Maidstone that messed us up. We did a lot of fundraising and awarness for Tommies. It must very frustarating to watch something your work just get messed up by a bunch of accountants. Lets stop there, we will be going on all night otherwise! I know in another thread how dedicated you have been to work.

night night.

love

mary x
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:52 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenp
I don't think these days there is as much emphasis on leaving all your money to the kids, both of our parents are quite sensible and don't take any risks. I think we live for the moment though, I will leave property for them to do with as they wish and help them out if i can but i am no good at saving for a rainy day, known a couple of people who have done that and have snuffed it before the rainy day comes.

Helen
i know a few myself who have snuffed it before retiring also , that was a big life shake up for me but thats another story.

But a lot of people more so women mainly live for there kids dont they? and go without for them .
My view is the kids are in a cocooned world already spoilt rotten and we as adults arent doing them any favours , but they are guaranteed something like you said from the property ..Unless i can think of a way of spending that as well
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:57 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
With inheritance tax if you don't get rid of it before you die, the goverment will take the bulk of it anyway. I think it depends on whether you leave enough for you to be looked after when you stop working, or if you become old and reliable on others to look after you. If you blow everything whilst you can and then live to 90 plus are you expecting your children then to help you and support you financially?
Thats a good point inheritance tax , they even get us when we die !! A good reason to spend it in my opinion.

If i reach 90 it would be a miracle , and so grateful and a physical and mental wreck i wouldnt care less .. my Mum bless her lived to be 80 but what a waste of life she was stuck indoors needed help , spent most her time taking pills and staring at a blank tv screen bless her , i told the wife if i get like that please bump me off as thats No life ...

My kids wouldnt keep me they have a theory whats theres is theres ! whats mine is going to be theres ...

Last edited by Big Pete; Feb 11th 2007 at 9:58 pm. Reason: spelling went worse than normal lol
Old Feb 12th 2007, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Well my Dad is 80 and although he has spent the last few years in and out of hospital and we think we are going to have to bury him, he comes alive and bounces back without having to have anyone help him. Although the doctor has given him enough pills that I'm sure that I hear him rattling when he walks and wonder if he really needs them.

I'm like you, I hope that if I become dependent on someone else, that they have brought in voluntary ethunasia and I think if I get to a point I think I may be reliant on someone to give me bed baths.....I will find something to put me out of my misery, or maybe give the local yobs a fiver to do it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.