Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Speeding ticket

Speeding ticket

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

bishbash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speeding ticket

I hope somebody can help me please, I have received this Saturday a speeding ticket from the 4/10/2011 and the letter dated 22/11/2011 I have tried to pay it on line and it wont let me it said I have to go to traffic I live in the uk what should I do? I dont want to break the law but I cant believe it took so long to reach me.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speeding ticket

Not sure what you can do Bishbash, hope someone can help, although you can now receive and download speeding fines from traffico you still have to manually go to the bank and pay in yourself. Do you not have someone here in Spain who could pay this for you ?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply the problem is it wont let me pay on the internet because the ticket is now out of date to pay, I have had a fine before and it came recorded delivery(i am not a speed merchant I was working in Madrid) lol I just dont know what to do now.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bishbash
Thank you for your reply the problem is it wont let me pay on the internet because the ticket is now out of date to pay, I have had a fine before and it came recorded delivery(i am not a speed merchant I was working in Madrid) lol I just dont know what to do now.
You could wait until you get a court judgement and then let the bailiffs take your TV
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - my previous post wasn't helpful. Similar thing happened to me - I emailed the chief of police in whose name the ticket was issued explaining the circumstances and eventually I was allowed to pay by direct bank transfer (although I do have a spanish bank account which made it a bit easier. I did have to pay the penalties and redoubled charges though - it added up to quite a bit. Because of a nifty bit of EU law (sponsored by Ken Livingstone to catch congestion charge evaders) the traffico can 'sell' your debt to an English debt collector who will then pursue you through the civil court in the UK - and then send the bailffs
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

If you don't pay it they will put an embargo on your Spanish bank account, they did it to us.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

To the op -
Did they provide any proof that you were actually speeding? Or even that it was actually your car?
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Speeding ticket

Some great news I got a friend who is Spanish to ring dgt for me and explain about the letter and to my great surprise the lady at the other end said forget it it's an I.T.problem you should never have been sent the letter and has e-mailed me to confirm.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Sorry - my previous post wasn't helpful. Similar thing happened to me - I emailed the chief of police in whose name the ticket was issued explaining the circumstances and eventually I was allowed to pay by direct bank transfer (although I do have a spanish bank account which made it a bit easier. I did have to pay the penalties and redoubled charges though - it added up to quite a bit. Because of a nifty bit of EU law (sponsored by Ken Livingstone to catch congestion charge evaders) the traffico can 'sell' your debt to an English debt collector who will then pursue you through the civil court in the UK - and then send the bailffs
Perhaps like a lot of the EU regs, the UK is the only one that obeys them.
Nationally about £3.6million was written off - or more than 160 or £10,000 or 500 penalty points a day -following a survey of speed camera partnerships.
Problems arise with foreign drivers and non-UK registered vehicles because it is difficult to access their records and there is no offence for not providing the driver’s details for those based outside the UK, unlike for UK residents.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bishbash
Some great news I got a friend who is Spanish to ring dgt for me and explain about the letter and to my great surprise the lady at the other end said forget it it's an I.T.problem you should never have been sent the letter and has e-mailed me to confirm.
Is it just me, or does this strike anyone as a little odd?
How many foreigners would get a Spanish friend to ring up, only to be told to it's all a mistake?
99% would probably have just paid up and heard nothing more about it.
A clever scam going on perhaps?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:59 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Can the non payment of the congestion charge in London be pursued here in Spain though ?
I am thinking about Spanish cars/tourists who are most probably ignorant of the system there.
Old May 16th 2012, 6:20 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting this, I note that many say they have received a speeding fine to pay, even when in the UK.

I know some one who received a letter this week that had to be signed for with passport number too, asking for confirmation of the driver with a photo of her car date time and speed (37km) over, 20 days to let them know or it is a 900E fine on top, no mention of paying the speeding fine, I guess that will come later, but does anybody know why she didn't just get a fine?
Old May 16th 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Further to my post #5. I was reading in the ST Travel supplement this weekend that the EU Directive which harmonises a number of disparate bi-lateral agreements on traffic offences and fines will come into force in 2013. From then wherever you are in the EU you can be pursued for fines incurred in other member states. Apparently one of the keenest countries for the introduction is France - because of the number of UK drivers which happily flout their traffic laws and ignore fines - mainly by speeding down the autoroutes (to Spain?).
Old May 16th 2012, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Interesting this, I note that many say they have received a speeding fine to pay, even when in the UK.

I know some one who received a letter this week that had to be signed for with passport number too, asking for confirmation of the driver with a photo of her car date time and speed (37km) over, 20 days to let them know or it is a 900E fine on top, no mention of paying the speeding fine, I guess that will come later, but does anybody know why she didn't just get a fine?
This must be equivalent to the S172, which you get along with a NIP if you are caught speeding in the UK, which requires you to declare who was driving at the time of the offence. Failure to respond and disclose comes with a minimum of 6 points and £500 fine. The reason is that the law can only prosecute the actual driver for speeding and not the registered keeper.
The full benefits of EU harmonisation now becoming apparent :-)
Old May 17th 2012, 11:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Further to my post #5. I was reading in the ST Travel supplement this weekend that the EU Directive which harmonises a number of disparate bi-lateral agreements on traffic offences and fines will come into force in 2013. From then wherever you are in the EU you can be pursued for fines incurred in other member states. Apparently one of the keenest countries for the introduction is France - because of the number of UK drivers which happily flout their traffic laws and ignore fines - mainly by speeding down the autoroutes (to Spain?).
Well I hope they soon sort it out, I know someone who was done for drink driving in France, he was an HGV driver and had had wine with his lunch. He got a driving ban in France, but was still able to work in the UK and Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.