Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spark plug gap and feeler gauge - What do markings mean?

Spark plug gap and feeler gauge - What do markings mean?

Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spark plug gap and feeler gauge - What do markings mean?

Hi, tried Googling for this, but still baffled!
I have a set of feeler gauges each marked 2,3,4,5,6,8,10,12,15 & 20.
I am trying to set some spark plug gaps which require 1,02mm or 0.040 inch.
What on earth do the markings on the each gauge stand for and which should I use please to achieve the correct setting? After each number neither mm or inch are indicated.
I'm guessing a combination of gauges 20,15,5 would get me 0.040 inch, is this correct? Or are the numbers MM and If so how do I achieve 1,02?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by Countryboy1; Mar 5th 2015 at 9:27 am.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:30 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spark plug gap and feeler gauge - What do markings mean?

Numbers don't make sense, they could be imperial, but missing some numbers go & buy a metric set from the chinese shop.
Metric starts with 0.05 up to 1.00

Suzi

Last edited by Grebo; Mar 5th 2015 at 9:32 am.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grebo
Numbers don't make sense, they could be imperial, but missing some numbers go & buy a metric set from the chinese shop.
Metric starts with 0.

Suzi
Perhaps good advice! Although the numbers must have made sense at some time!
Thanks.

Brian
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:42 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Perhaps good advice! Although the numbers must have made sense at some time!
Thanks.

Brian
Brian imperial feeler gauges used to be measured in thousanths of an inch and that is most likely what the numbers refer to imho but it has been more than 30 years since I last used them.....
Old Mar 5th 2015, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
Brian imperial feeler gauges used to be measured in thousanths of an inch and that is most likely what the numbers refer to imho but it has been more than 30 years since I last used them.....
Mine are very old ones, so I guess they are imperial, but it would be nice if it said "inch" on each blade. Perhaps they are so old it wasn't deemed necessary!
Thanks again.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:41 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

As Mike has said they are in thousants so just add the numbers up to 40 & they are the fellers you need.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VFR
As Mike has said they are in thousants so just add the numbers up to 40 & they are the fellers you need.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated & to all who responded.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 5:55 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grebo
Metric starts with 0.05 up to 1.00

Suzi
There are no number missing - you simply use two 'leaves' to make the 'missing' number.

For example - 7 is not there so use the 2 and the 5.

Yes, they are in thousandths of an inch.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
There are no number missing - you simply use two 'leaves' to make the 'missing' number.

For example - 7 is not there so use the 2 and the 5.

Yes, they are in thousandths of an inch.
Thanks, I'd realised the need to add together certain numbers to make another! Believe it or not I was an engineer many, many years ago and it's a long time since I've picked up feeler gauges for spark plug gaps.
It's confirmation of them being thousands of an inch that's helped.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Normally there is a clue somewhere on the feeler or the cover and occasionally they have thous on one side and the nearest metric equivalent on the other side.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Normally there is a clue somewhere on the feeler or the cover and occasionally they have thous on one side and the nearest metric equivalent on the other side.
Thanks for that, but mine don't. Pretty sure now they are thousands of an inch which is fine.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for that, but mine don't. Pretty sure now they are thousands of an inch which is fine.
Thanks again.
Mine usually end up too rusty to read
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:18 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Mine usually end up too rusty to read
lightly oil them Fred - shame on you
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
lightly oil them Fred - shame on you
I do/ did

But it's not red rust

They seem to get a sort of black patina? that makes it impossible to read the figures.

However from the above query about metric / imperial I note that in Europe most measuring instruments ( tape measures, depth gauges , feeler gauges ) are metric whist in the USA they are imperial.

But in good old UK they are bilingual unlike the population
Old Mar 6th 2015, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, done the job and replaced the six spark plugs. All going smoothly until number four which I unscrewed but the plug didn't extract with the plug spanner. After a moments studying why, I realised that the rubber ring inside the plug spanner which is supposed to grip the plug in order to assist its removal was missing! Must have remained around plug number three!
Anyway it needed a pair of long scissors to grip the undone remaining three to remove them.
Why aren't these rubber rings inside the spanner glued in place so they don't stick to the plug?
Anyway job seems to be OK as engine starts well enough. Will tell more when I take it out for a run!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.