Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish working contracts.40hrs.. I work 48!??!!

Spanish working contracts.40hrs.. I work 48!??!!

Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of
Default Spanish working contracts.40hrs.. I work 48!??!!

Been back in my old job now since July and I work 8 hrs a day, 6 days a week. A fellow collegue pointed out that because I work 48hrs like everyone else then this shoudl show up on my wage slip as days extras. I questioned a couple of other staff on this and they told me that this is singled out on their wages slips but I dont have it on mine.
Have been told basically that since July I could have been working 4 days in the month for free as this is legally meant to be stated on my contracts. I dont have a copy of the contract and the admin girl is on holiday.
Does this seem right what the others are telling me.?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish working contracts.40hrs.. I work 48!??!!

Certainly doesn't seem right to me, but nothing would surprise me! However, I'm certain I would know exactly what I was working, and exactly what I was going to get paid long before I started. In another forum I read of someone that had worked for 8 months but hadn't been paid! Surely someone would be mad to work for that time without getting paid. I guess whilst there are people like that about, bosses will try it on. Are the other workers Spanish or Brits.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 12:08 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by agoreira
Certainly doesn't seem right to me, but nothing would surprise me! However, I'm certain I would know exactly what I was working, and exactly what I was going to get paid long before I started. In another forum I read of someone that had worked for 8 months but hadn't been paid! Surely someone would be mad to work for that time without getting paid. I guess whilst there are people like that about, bosses will try it on. Are the other workers Spanish or Brits.
Dont get me started on this one. I have a 40 hour contract as well. Last month I had to cover a colleague who was off sick. In total I worked 80 hours extra that month and they offered me 200 euros (in black money which I still have not received) Basically they said that extra hours dont exist in the company but if I didnt work them when required I would be looking for another job. I work for a large company and have worked here for over 3 years. They are playing on the situation at the moment with so few jobs around.

Last edited by CBANDY; Nov 26th 2009 at 12:11 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:49 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The reason so many people tolerate getting a shorter contract than the hours they actually work, and this happens all over Spain and to all nationalities, is because in most cases the employer knows they will not leave the job.

The main reason that people will not leave a job is because the will get no dole, you can only claim dole if your contract has finished and the compny lets you go.

The months of dole that you have accumulated are set aside but cannot be paid to you until you are left with no job. That means you must be "sacked" and not just want to leave for whatever reason.

In a lot of cases they have got you by the short and curlies.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 11:41 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what contract you have you may have them by the short and curlys. A "contrato indefinido" is probably the best you can have and if you look into things properly you have lots of "legal" rights when you hold this contract which means you can denounce anything you're not happy with that you can prove and if they do sack you it's going to cost them a lot in compensation. My Spanish OH is having problems at work and has this contract so decided to do something about it. Short story is my OH now has exactly the pay, hours and conditions promised during the interview and the manager couldn't be nicer if she tried. You have legal rights so use them!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:42 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Depending on what contract you have you may have them by the short and curlys. A "contrato indefinido" is probably the best you can have and if you look into things properly you have lots of "legal" rights when you hold this contract which means you can denounce anything you're not happy with that you can prove and if they do sack you it's going to cost them a lot in compensation. My Spanish OH is having problems at work and has this contract so decided to do something about it. Short story is my OH now has exactly the pay, hours and conditions promised during the interview and the manager couldn't be nicer if she tried. You have legal rights so use them!
That is part of the problem. Too many people dont protest as they are scared of loosing their job. I have a contrato indefinido and am also a member of the U.G.T. so I think I have covered most angles. The thing that worries me is that they might try to find a reason to sack me and then I have no pay off. I have a new boss as of 2 months ago and he is making things quite difficult for me.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:20 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CBANDY
That is part of the problem. Too many people dont protest as they are scared of loosing their job. I have a contrato indefinido and am also a member of the U.G.T. so I think I have covered most angles. The thing that worries me is that they might try to find a reason to sack me and then I have no pay off. I have a new boss as of 2 months ago and he is making things quite difficult for me.
If they sack you they have to give an extremely good reason for doing so, trust me, we've really looked into everything recently. Also they will have to pay you a compenstion, also you can still denounce. IF and I mean IF they sack you when they give you your finiquito to sign, on the bottom also write "no conforme" and take it to your lawyer.
Best advice I can give you now is to go to your union or try and speak with a free lawyer, you've already got them on a bullying act with
Originally Posted by CBANDY
I have a new boss as of 2 months ago and he is making things quite difficult for me.
. After you have seen your union (or preferably a lawyer) make it clear to your boss that you have taken legal advice your boss will then, pardon my Spanish,shit bricks!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:10 pm
Yaaarp

On another note with regards to any form of bullying, whenever anything is said or done to you stop what you're doing and take a notepad and pen from your pocket, write down exactly what was said and done, the time, day and date along with any witnesses that heard or saw what happened. This is not only important for accurate reference but just the sight of this will have your boss / manager thinking very carefuly before they do anything again, never underestimate the power of notepad & pen.