Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:00 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Spanish Wines... any favourites?

I'm quite partial to a nice Ribera - Protos and Pesquera being favourites. Any recommendations out there be they Riberas. Riojas, whites or reds? Not looking to break the bank, but prefer it in a bottle to a tetrabrick...
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Wines... any favourites?

Originally Posted by Lochy
I'm quite partial to a nice Ribera - Protos and Pesquera being favourites. Any recommendations out there be they Riberas. Riojas, whites or reds? Not looking to break the bank, but prefer it in a bottle to a tetrabrick...
Now when we first came here we challenged ourselves to buy the cheapest wine we could, thinking it would be crap. But we got down to under a euro and still didn't find a really bad one. Did go for the tetrabrick once though and that made me ill.

But we like Enterizo Reserva & Marques de Caceres Rioja
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:06 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Now when we first came here we challenged ourselves to buy the cheapest wine we could, thinking it would be crap. But we got down to under a euro and still didn't find a really bad one. Did go for the tetrabrick once though and that made me ill.

Nearly all the White Rioja's, what a discovery they were in Jerez!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:08 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

we're into cheap & cheerful too........might splash out a few euros at the bodega around the corner on a special occasion though - they always let you try before you buy, so it's usually different each time

the worst wine ever has to be the free stuff they used to give away in Scallops...............haven't been there for a couple of years now, but they used to do a good brekkie, and you got a free bottle of wine to take home

instant headache - before you get through the first glass
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we're into cheap & cheerful too........might splash out a few euros at the bodega around the corner on a special occasion though - they always let you try before you buy, so it's usually different each time

the worst wine ever has to be the free stuff they used to give away in Scallops...............haven't been there for a couple of years now, but they used to do a good brekkie, and you got a free bottle of wine to take home

instant headache - before you get through the first glass
Agree with you about the wine they give away but the red makes a great Spag Bol.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Nearly all the White Rioja's, what a discovery they were in Jerez!
Any special recommendations?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Agree with you about the wine they give away but the red makes a great Spag Bol.

Rosemary
& the white's good for marinating
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:14 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochy
I do not particularly like the taste of alcohol so I tend to like very light smooth white wine and my current favourite is Laderas.

OH is a red wine drinker and he is into Rioja Campo de Gules.

Both are very cheap and cheerful.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Any special recommendations?
Familia Martínez Bujanda Blanco, a brilliant Bodega anyway.

Luis Cañas Blanco, very good producers of high end wines,

Altos del Cabriel Viura Oak-Aged, a spectacular wine!!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:31 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

there is a bodago in Jalon that does the most delicious sweet red wine, trouble is you can knock it back thinking its RIbena then not be able to stand up!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:58 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

I would never touch the stuff when I lived in the UK, but spending years living in Jerez rubs off on you in the end. Now I have no problem whatsoever knocking back a good sherry at any given hour of the day. I like the dry whites better than the sweet ones.

Sometimes if you ask for a glass of "white wine" in a bar here you will automatically be given a glass of dry sherry! That took some getting used to.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:59 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by keithwalters
I would never touch the stuff when I lived in the UK, but spending years living in Jerez rubs off on you in the end. Now I have no problem whatsoever knocking back a good sherry at any given hour of the day. I like the dry whites better than the sweet ones.

Sometimes if you ask for a glass of "white wine" in a bar here you will automatically be given a glass of dry sherry! That took some getting used to.
Gotta love Pedro Jimenez though mate, its just one of life's guilty pleasures!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:01 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

I have no guilt. I am shameless.

In fact all this talk of wine has made me decide to go and open a bottle from the fridge right now. Yum yum.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:05 pm
has got a huge member

Actually the white Riojas is something we haven´t really looked into - I´ll give one a try next time we´re out.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:18 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Actually the white Riojas is something we haven´t really looked into - I´ll give one a try next time we´re out.
First time I tried one I had a smoked pork loin at a restaurant in Jerez, at a place that was plastered in photo's of famous people. It was just off a square next to a church.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.