Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Wills , Who to leave it all to ?

Spanish Wills , Who to leave it all to ?

Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Spanish Wills , Who to leave it all to ?

Hi Everyone
We are in the process of getting our Spanish wills .
Apart from our parents ( who we should out live baring accidents) & each other we have no close relatives to leave our Spanish assets to
Can you leave them to anyone including charity ?

I drink in Isla Canela Marina if anyone wants to buy me drinks all night so they can try to make me believe they are a long lost cousin.

Chris
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:57 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Wills , Who to leave it all to ?

I'll PM you my address!
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Hi Everyone
Apart from our parents ( who we should out live baring accidents) & each other we have no close relatives to leave our Spanish assets to

I drink in Isla Canela Marina if anyone wants to buy me drinks all night so they can try to make me believe they are a long lost cousin.

Chris
Thats a shame, cos I will probably go before you Chris. lol
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:13 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone

Chris
See you there
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:17 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
See you there
It could be handy for you Sam, ;-))
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

See you there
Hi Pam
I forgot about you ,we are over the end of the month probable see you in the new club house .
If you are trying to convince me you are my long lost cousin I drink anything as long as it's large & strong
Sue is an an animal lover bring your dogs along I am sure she will leave them a few euros in her will

Chris
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:27 am

Hi Pam
I forgot about you ,we are over the end of the month probable see you in the new club house .
If you are trying to convince me you are my long lost cousin I drink anything as long as it's large & strong
Sue is an an animal lover bring your dogs along I am sure she will leave them a few euros in her will

Chris
I have sent you lots of luuuvverly karma, dear cousin
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I have sent you lots of luuuvverly karma, dear cousin
Hopefully I am playing golf with Mr Ragomuffin on the 26th ,I am sure we will be on the 19 hole afterwards if you fancy a tipple & are passing I am sure Chris would not mind you joining us.
We are not doing the wills until the 27th ( I drink most things but I like Vodka just to let you know )

Chris
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:18 am
Account Closed

alisonbelle is an unknown quantity at this point

I was a First Oficial for a Notary for 12 years. In Spain, if you have no sons, and your parents are alive at the moment you are making your will, you only need to leave them what in Spain is called "la legítima estricta" (what you are oblied by the law), the rest is for your spouse, unless you want to use "el tercio de libre disposición" (a third for free disposition), and this part is what you can leave to whoever you want, including charity. I hope you are not doing what some elder women want to do: leave it to a Virgin or a Christ. In this case, you will have to leave this part of your assest to the priest in charge of the church what this Virgin or Christ is.
If you have some question, pm
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Dear cousin Chris,
Its been ages since we last spoke. I have started a tab at your local, please feel free to get your self a large one!!
If they ask you to pay up, just give them some cash I will settle up when i see you.
Regards,
LMJ Mortley
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by lmj50
Dear cousin Chris,
Its been ages since we last spoke. I have started a tab at your local, please feel free to get your self a large one!!
If they ask you to pay up, just give them some cash I will settle up when i see you.
Regards,
LMJ Mortley
Hey back off matey..........the money is mine, ALL MINE!!!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alisonbelle
I was a First Oficial for a Notary for 12 years. In Spain, if you have no sons, and your parents are alive at the moment you are making your will, you only need to leave them what in Spain is called "la legítima estricta" (what you are oblied by the law), the rest is for your spouse, unless you want to use "el tercio de libre disposición" (a third for free disposition), and this part is what you can leave to whoever you want, including charity. I hope you are not doing what some elder women want to do: leave it to a Virgin or a Christ. In this case, you will have to leave this part of your assest to the priest in charge of the church what this Virgin or Christ is.
If you have some question, pm
What you say is correct for a Spaniard. For us foreigners the inheritance rules do not apply so we can leave it to anyone we like (subject to the will being contested in a Spanish court by legitimate heirs/family etc).
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

alisonbelle is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I thought they were asking about Spanish law for will. For UK ones I was sure they knew it.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:19 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alisonbelle
Sorry, I thought they were asking about Spanish law for will. For UK ones I was sure they knew it.
The same applies for a Spanish will made by a foreigner.