Spanish tax

Old Jun 30th 2022, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish tax

Originally Posted by Barriej
Yep but its not that cut and dried.
I spoke to the firm doing ours and they have stated that a tax return needs to have been filled and then actioned by the tax man here, before they will agree and issue the cert.
Its not just a case of declaring you will pay, you have actually now got to file the first time and get into the system.
As far as I'm aware you have always had to submit a Spanish tax return first before they would issue a certificate of fiscal residence, it isn't any kind of new requirement.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Martin Nash is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all of the replies, this has made things very clear on how to pay tax whilst living in Spain.

Thank you,

Martin
Old Jun 30th 2022, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

A link to the Spain Individual Double Taxation Form and guidelines

Form Spain-Individual (hmrc.gov.uk)
Old Jun 30th 2022, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Yes I get that it can push the tax bracket up but that isn't the same as actually being taxed twice on it in my view. That is why I declare fully what I have had and if I have or haven't already paid tax on it.
Your point re not choice of where one gets their UK state pension paid is exactly how I understood it hence I have mine paid Gross to spanish bank account and pay tax on it in Spain. However not that long back on this forum similar was being discussed and someone I can't remember who stated one could choose to have it paid and taxed as I do or paid to UK account and taxed in the UK, hence I said I personally wasn't sure on that. I certainly know many people here in Spain who have it paid and taxed in the UK which I thought wasn't correct.
Old Jun 30th 2022, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of tax- this is the day they raid your account!!! You should find that your Renta goes on the 30th June!! I just got a ping from my bank and lo and behold 300 euros gone!!! Ha hahaha!!
Old Jun 30th 2022, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

€300, oh how I wish!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 1st 2022, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

OK let us cut out all the if and buts crap - and in an attempt to keep it simple:-

If you receive UK State pension and a private pension and are resident in Spain you will pay tax on ALL pensions and yes the tax will probably be higher because the allowances are less here.If you are a UK citizen, you must complete form FD9 to apply for UK income tax exemption and get UK tax code NT (no tax)

By completing this form you are consenting to the Spanish Revenue, certifying to HMRC that you are resident in Spain for the purposes of Spanish tax.

Old Jul 1st 2022, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 2nd 2022, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

BTW way Lynn your link does not work.

I completed an FD9 years ago it now looks like it has been renamed - Spain Form Individual.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ain-individual

When I filled out my FD9 I then took it to the Spanish tax office who stamped it to prove I was resident in Spain and thus must declare for tax in Spain - it was then sent to the UK tax office which processed it and gave me the NT code and from then on my pensions were paid gross with no tax deducted at source.

The form is obtained online from HMRC and has to be sent to the UK along with a fiscal residency certificate once completed.

Old Jul 4th 2022, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

dooper will become famous soon enough

Hi all, is it true that if you are in receipt of your UK state pension in spain that it does not rise very year via the triple lock mechanism? If so, then how does it rise or does it just stagnate ? Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2022, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NO it is not true - that is for Expats outside of the EU ie Oz, Canada etc.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#pensions
Old Jul 4th 2022, 7:19 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Full list of countries:

Countries where we pay an annual increase in the State Pension

The Canadian view of the UK's pension "policy":

The U.K.'s policy on overseas pensions is costing Canadian taxpayers
Old Jul 4th 2022, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

dooper will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spainrico
NO it is not true - that is for Expats outside of the EU ie Oz, Canada etc.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain#pensions

Thanks ,it does seem an unfair and harsh policy, i mean its a pension thats been earned over many years.
Old Jul 4th 2022, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dooper
Thanks ,it does seem an unfair and harsh policy, i mean its a pension thats been earned over many years.
Yes, from the pensioner's point of view, it does seem harsh. But the way the government looks at it is it's very expensive to uprate pension yearly, as it has come from current year revenue, so they only uprate for pensioners living abroad if there is legal obligation to do so, such as under EU rules (when UK was a member), Brexit withdrawal agreement and reciprocal social security treaties. Also they argue that overseas pensioners aren't ploughing their pensions back into UK economy but spending them elsewhere.
Old Jul 5th 2022, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Patrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the roughPatrick2976 is a jewel in the rough

Personal pension plans in the UK from life companies such as Aviva, Aegon etc will pay UK tax at source. If you are taking benefits as a Spanish resident and do nothing about this then you have to invoke the dual tax treaty and all the admin that comes with it. What you should do is apply to HMRC for a 'NT' tax code as a non UK tax payer. This negates the requirement for your pension provider to pay that tax at source leaving you to receive gross benefits from which you can pay Spanish tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.