Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

Old Jul 21st 2012, 9:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: As a Spanish resident, do I have to change my driving licence?

Originally Posted by MaryJones
reports locally tonight: now officially law that if u have a uk drivers license and lived in Spain minimum 2 years, you have to get it changed to a Spanish one and take the tests that go with it. 200€ on the spot fine for those who don't.

This is on Gran canaria from a partner of a policia local.
What would the Policia Local know about it - they are not the Guardia.

Unless you can provide a link to this new "law" - which would contravene EU law - I suggest that other forum members ignore your post.

I think someone here is confusing some of the conditions of the new EU licence law which has not come into effect yet.

That new directive says that the new EU licence should be issued for 10 years but that if you choose to do so it may be issued for 15. (Typical EU fudging).

If you have a 15 year licence and go to live in a country that has a 10 year licence then the new country can renew that licence for a period applicable in that country after the person has been resident for 2 years.

We are talking about the new EU licence which hasn't come into effect yet and may not be introduced until 2017. And anyway, UK licences which are valid for 10 years would not be affected.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

Fair enough but when people get an on the spot fine, its worrying for those, like me, who want to do the right thing, but this is what we're told (and fined for)
I have in my car and in my hand bag the paper saying its voluntary and all the bits of paper I have from trafico hopefully that be enough to show that 'I'm trying'.
I didnt say that it was policia local saying it, just that they are a partner of - and I assume from that that they have more contacts than most to find out what is being said within the police.
I'm sorry that this thread is going on and on.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:27 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaryJones
I'm sorry that this thread is going on and on.
Don't worry - they always do!
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just as a matter of interest what happened to the English guy´s illegal car? There are two transit vans and a car parked in a road near us all with the tax out of date some by years.
He was forced to matriculate it - given something like two weeks to get it onto Spanish plates. The GC didn't believe him when he said he had just brought it over from the UK. They insisted that the car had been over here for years. Cost him about twelve hundred euros to get it all done.

He's now completely legal with Spanish registered car, Spanish Licence, Spanish insurance. Understandably, he's a bit peed off with having all this hassle and expense, but you can't really have any sympathy with him when most of us do try to be legal.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The solicitors to whom I referred to in an earlier post tell me BOE número 138 de 8/6/2009 is the relevant law.

Some other points - Whatever you read on any UK Gov site is irrelevant for law in Spain. EU directives have different conditions which can be implemented differently by each EU member state. Try telling GC something is legal here because it says so on the Uk Gov site!

Yes I understand renewal periods might also be changing (extended) but that has nothing to do with the actual exchange.

Local papers in this area are also reporting that GC are issuing fines to persons who are long term resident and have not exchanged.

Anyway to my simple way of thinking why don't people who are resident just do it and then they won't have a problem in Spain. I have also hired cars and driven in the UK with my Spanish DL without any proble
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

I'm trying to do it but its not happening!! I'm resident and kept getting different views on what I should do. Most people were telling me that I could carry on, on my UK licence. The we were told its ok with UK licence but over the age of 45 you have to have a medical.

Then my photo ran out on my licence, so rather than renewing it with a UK address, I thought it would be easier and better to change for spanish one. I dont have a problem with that at all and it might be better as an ID here anyway.
Its been 2 months since I went, had a medical, paid for the exchange etc. I'm waiting now for the papers from the DVLA showing I have a clean licence etc, as trafico havent requested them and then I'll trundle up to Las Palmas to see what they say and what seems to be the delay.
Husband did his the same time as me, DVLA have sent his papers direct to trafico but havent recieved any contact from trafico for him either.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

If you are registered as resident in Spain to renew a DL using a UK address is illegal and could cause insurance problems and other complications.

My local traffico (Alicante) is fairly efficient but I expect they vary. Also the actual licence production is centralised in some high security building (so I am told) and production is slow and probably at this time of year even more so.

Last edited by spainrico; Jul 23rd 2012 at 11:30 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico
The solicitors to whom I referred to in an earlier post tell me BOE número 138 de 8/6/2009 is the relevant law.

Some other points - Whatever you read on any UK Gov site is irrelevant for law in Spain. EU directives have different conditions which can be implemented differently by each EU member state. Try telling GC something is legal here because it says so on the Uk Gov site!

Yes I understand renewal periods might also be changing (extended) but that has nothing to do with the actual exchange.

Local papers in this area are also reporting that GC are issuing fines to persons who are long term resident and have not exchanged.

Anyway to my simple way of thinking why don't people who are resident just do it and then they won't have a problem in Spain. I have also hired cars and driven in the UK with my Spanish DL without any proble
Yes that is the relevant law. However the 2 year rule only applies to foreign licences that have a validity greater than 10 years. These have to be exchanged after 2 years of becoming resident.

This is also clearly stated in the EU directive.

All UK photocard licences have a validity of 10 years so this rule does not apply to them.

If you want to check it out it is Article 15,4 of the law you referred to which is at http://goo.gl/IGw1h and it is in article 2,2 of the EU directive which is at http://goo.gl/if0x0

The validity of Spanish licences was extended a year or so ago in line with this new law and the EU directive to 10 years up to the age of 70. It used to be 5 years between 45 and 70.

As you say, and I have been saying for ages - the easy option is to exchange your licence. The next easiest solution is to get it endorsed.

Keeping your UK licence may be an option but it is increasing resulting in the holder being fined by the Guardia, particularly as they now seem to think the 2 year rule applies to all foreign licences.

It is wrong and you can probably contest it but that process is far more daunting than exchanging it in the first place.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Well DVLA sent me the papers that should have been requested by trafico. Although we hadnt received any request for attendance to trafico we went anyway. They had received information from DVLA for my husband. They werent interested in the ones we had.
They took his medical and a photo, took away his UK licence and gave him a green card as a temporary licence. He should receive a new licence in the post... mmmmm....postal service isnt that reliable but hopefully i will be proved wrong.
They hadnt received anything from DVLA about me and showed me the papers they had faxed. Didnt want my version that I had received. They wait 2 months before re requesting the papers so said that they'll fax again. Dont know if they would have done this if i hadnt gone. So now I'll wait again
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James

Keeping your UK licence may be an option but it is increasing resulting in the holder being fined by the Guardia, particularly as they now seem to think the 2 year rule applies to all foreign licences.

It is wrong and you can probably contest it but that process is far more daunting than exchanging it in the first place.
Well, the forms on the DGT website for exchanging or having it endorsed, clearly state ESTE TRÁMITE ES VOLUNTARIO. They are both dated 1/7/2012, so they are clearly uptodate.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
Well, the forms on the DGT website for exchanging or having it endorsed, clearly state ESTE TRÁMITE ES VOLUNTARIO. They are both dated 1/7/2012, so they are clearly uptodate.
Yes we all know that - the trouble is that the Gurardia ignore it.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

I carry around in my glovebox, the 'poster' from DGT saying that its voluntary. Unfortunately I've never had the chance to show it to Guardia
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Culebronchris is an unknown quantity at this point

I exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one valid through to 2022. Is it safe to presume that I will not need to do the "medical" until the time comes to renew the licence?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 5:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Culebronchris
I exchanged my UK licence for a Spanish one valid through to 2022. Is it safe to presume that I will not need to do the "medical" until the time comes to renew the licence?
I think that you will find that it depends upon your age.
  • Every 10 years if you are aged between 18-45
  • Every 5 years if you are aged between 45-70
  • Every 2 years if you are aged over 70

However, it may have changed recently.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 6:54 am

It changed more than 2 years ago.

It is now 10 years up to 70 and 5 years thereafter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.