Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Residency thru Property Purchase

Spanish Residency thru Property Purchase

Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Residency thru Property Purchase

I read a few months back that the Spanish govt were going to give Spanish residencies to non-EU nationals if the purchased a property over a certain value.

Has this been adopted yet?

I am a UK national, with a non-EU spouse, and am considering purchasing in Spain, and this would be another tick in the pro column if it is in place...
Old Jan 31st 2013, 6:16 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Residency thru Property Purchase

Why would it be useful to you - as the spouse of an EU national your wife automatically gets residency and they will even give her a proper residents card that most of us would like to see reintroduced!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

it's useful because as a UK national your non EU wife has to get an entry visa for 27 months then after she has done the time and passed the Life in UK test she 'may' get indefinite leave to remain (now the biometric resident permit).

If she gets the resident permit simply for being a spouse and owning property then its a useful shortcut.

Ask me how I know.....

The UK system seems to make it difficult for those who have legitimate reasons for being there and easy for those who seek asylum (legitimate or otherwise).
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:56 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mykap
it's useful because as a UK national your non EU wife has to get an entry visa for 27 months then after she has done the time and passed the Life in UK test she 'may' get indefinite leave to remain (now the biometric resident permit).

If she gets the resident permit simply for being a spouse and owning property then its a useful shortcut.

Ask me how I know.....

The UK system seems to make it difficult for those who have legitimate reasons for being there and easy for those who seek asylum (legitimate or otherwise).
none of which has anything to do with Spain

as spouse of a resident EU citizen resident in Spain she can exercise treaty rights & live here with him (subject to income requirements which I understand are lower than required in the UK)

there's no need for him to buy a property here nor for her to become resident in the UK first
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
Why would it be useful to you - as the spouse of an EU national your wife automatically gets residency and they will even give her a proper residents card that most of us would like to see reintroduced!
I am also the spouse of an EU national. With this residents card could I then work in Spain? And the EU? Or would I need a residents card from the country I was in?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:56 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reggiedh
I am also the spouse of an EU national. With this residents card could I then work in Spain? And the EU? Or would I need a residents card from the country I was in?
yes - if your spouse is resident & Spain & they grant you residency as exercising treaty rights as spouse of an EU citizen, then you can work here in Spain

Your spouse has to be resident here first though, & has to continue to be resident - your residency is dependent upon theirs

it is in no way dependant upon your residency (or otherwise) in any other country
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Talk about miss the point.
The process to get residency in the EU is easier by this route, its not about UK rules.

The OP appears to be a UK national.....

Jeez

Last edited by Mykap; Jan 31st 2013 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:27 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

The process to get residency in the EU is easier by this route, its not about UK rules.

Jeez
so are you saying that she could get UK residency more easily by virtue of having residency in Spain

in any case - the OP was asking about residency in Spain
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez
If you bother to read the original post, the OP wishes to come to Spain and asked about residence in Spain.

In which case as others have pointed out, there is no problem.

Your post only serves to confuse the issue.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Well I did 'bother' to read the original post, I also noted the OP was a Brit in Bangkok and had lived in various locations around the world.

So my interpretation was that he was weighing up the options of residency for his non EU spouse in Europe. Its an exercise I have done. As a Brit obviously one looks at coming back to the UK, however the the process is quite long (contrary to popular belief marrying a non EU citizen does not give them an automatic right to live with you in your country of birth). So if the Spanish give out resident permits simply on the grounds of property purchase its a seriously good quick option to get your spouse legally residing in Europe.

Maybe I am wrong and the question is simply about living in Spain and has nothing to do with ease of residency application success.....

Perhaps the OP will revert and clarify.

Last edited by Mykap; Feb 1st 2013 at 2:21 am.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
so are you saying that she could get UK residency more easily by virtue of having residency in Spain

in any case - the OP was asking about residency in Spain
No that's not what I am saying.
Neither am I saying she becomes a UK resident first.

I am saying it may be easier to get residency in Spain than residency in the UK and that the OP is considering his options regarding residence in Europe with his non EU spouse.

Therefore when considering returning to Europe with a non EU spouse (the OP is in Bangkok) it is as he says - another tick in the pro column if it is in place...

As I said to Fred I may have misinterpreted but I am speaking from experience, in my case we decided to take the UK route to residency and its been a long hard, stressful and expensive journey.

If the option of using my Spanish house as a basis for residency had been available at the time I would have given it very serious consideration.

In any event the original question 'Has this been adopted yet?' - has not been answered.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:35 am
¿Dónde estoy?

No that's not what I am saying.
Neither am I saying she becomes a UK resident first.

I am saying it may be easier to get residency in Spain than residency in the UK and that the OP is considering his options regarding residence in Europe with his non EU spouse.

Therefore when considering returning to Europe with a non EU spouse (the OP is in Bangkok) it is as he says - another tick in the pro column if it is in place...

As I said to Fred I may have misinterpreted but I am speaking from experience, in my case we decided to take the UK route to residency and its been a long hard, stressful and expensive journey.

If the option of using my Spanish house as a basis for residency had been available at the time I would have given it very serious consideration.

In any event the original question 'Has this been adopted yet?' - has not been answered.
we don't disagree that it can be easier to get residency for a non-EU partner in Spain than in the UK

but the point is that there's no need to buy a property for an EU citizen to establish residency in Spain

all an EU citizen has to do is live here - even in a rented property - & register as resident (subject to the income & healthcare requirements)- then the non-EU spouse can apply

owning a property doesn't make you resident - living here does

as to the question 'Has this been adopted yet?'.......... not to my knowledge, & I'm pretty sure if it had been, we would have heard about it

I'm happy to be corrected though

Last edited by lynnxa; Feb 1st 2013 at 4:47 am.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Residency thru Property Purchase

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
I read a few months back that the Spanish govt were going to give Spanish residencies to non-EU nationals if the purchased a property over a certain value.

Has this been adopted yet?

I am a UK national, with a non-EU spouse, and am considering purchasing in Spain, and this would be another tick in the pro column if it is in place...
I think the answer you are looking for is NO as it is still being debated by the government. The proposal is that if someone spends more than 160,000 euros on a property then they have the right to residency. This is mainly for the benefit of the Russians and Chinese but others will also be included including Indian friends of mine.