Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish public primary schools in Galicia and living in Galicia.

Spanish public primary schools in Galicia and living in Galicia.

Old Jul 27th 2019, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Chicarona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish public primary schools in Galicia and living in Galicia.

Hi there,

​​​​​​I'm Irish, my husband is Spanish and we have two young boys aged 9 and 6. We are considering moving to Galicia for a year for the boys to attend school there to immerse them in Spanish to improve their Spanish. Can anyone recommend any Spanish public primary schools in Galicia? We'd like some pointers or recommendations also in relation to areas to live. We want to be as involved as possible in the Spanish community and would love somewhere that has a lot of children and where, if possible, that the boys can play outside also. My husband's family live in Madrid, but we much prefer the north of Spain. We would like to rent a house, not an apartment and will be renting our house here while away. The children understand Spanish but don't speak it unless they have to (hence the move) and although I can speak some Spanish my level wouldn't be high enough yet for work. That said, we both accept that we will probably not work for the year as unemployment in Spain is so high.

Any recommendations or information would be great. Thank you.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 11:20 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish public primary schools in Galicia and living in Galicia.

Your children will go to a school in the "catchment area" you live in. you do not have a choice.
The language in Galicia is Galician so expect that Spanish may come in second in some areas of education.
I would advise you against moving here just to allow your children to speak Spanish. There are other areas in Spain which are better suited for this.
As for advise as to which area, We cannot advise you as we do not know what you are looking for.
Old Jul 27th 2019, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Chicarona is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Casa Santo Estevo,

What areas would you suggest as better for immersion in Spanish? We have had our annual holidays for the last ten years in the areas of Meira, Vigo and Gondomar and like these places so would like similar places.
Old Jul 28th 2019, 6:23 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

What areas would you suggest as better for immersion in Spanish?
Any area of Spain that does not have 2 official languages.
Meira, Vigo and Gondomar are all very different from each other. But it looks as if you want coast line.