Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Probate

Spanish Probate

Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Dido1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Probate

Has anyone had to use a Spanish Solicitor to deal with Probate in Spain? We've been quoted 3000 euros to deal with a simple transfer of the property from my father and Mother's joint names into my Mother's sole name. We've been advised the process will be simple as they both had Spanish wills, we're both residents for over 7 years and paid Spanish tax so no inheritance tax would be payable. In comparison to costs in england for the same process I think this quote is quite high and wonder whether we are being taken advantage of. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Probate

I have been through the exact same process. Tranferred the house into my name, two Spanish wills etc, same circumstances regarding paying tax and been here 6 years at the time, used a Spanish solicitor. Mine did have a couple of extra pieces of paperwork that should have pushed the cost up slightly more but even then the bill was a little over half what you have been told. I had been quoted slightly more which I paid when asked to but when they finished the work they refunded the difference.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Probate

Originally Posted by Dido1972
Has anyone had to use a Spanish Solicitor to deal with Probate in Spain? We've been quoted 3000 euros to deal with a simple transfer of the property from my father and Mother's joint names into my Mother's sole name. We've been advised the process will be simple as they both had Spanish wills, we're both residents for over 7 years and paid Spanish tax so no inheritance tax would be payable. In comparison to costs in england for the same process I think this quote is quite high and wonder whether we are being taken advantage of. Any help would be appreciated.
I think the big cost will be all the taxes and fees that have to be paid in any property transaction Notary, Land Register etc plus Vat on top. Ask for a breakdown of costs.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

Probate costs £45 in the UK unless the estate is less than £5000 when it is free. I suspect the main cost is the transfer costs - you've got to pay for all those functionarios doing nothing.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:56 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
Probate costs £45 in the UK unless the estate is less than £5000 when it is free. I suspect the main cost is the transfer costs - you've got to pay for all those functionarios doing nothing.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rosemary, i'm back in the UK now so I'll pass that info on to my Mum, whereabouts in Spain are you, my mum is in Cabo Roig, Torrevieja
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rosemary, i'm back in the UK now so I'll pass that info on to my Mum, whereabouts in Spain are you, my mum is in Cabo Roig, Torrevieja
I am in a small town south of Valencia. A lack of Brits in the area may account for the price differences.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Yes it certainly sounds that way, i'm beginning to find the Brits in Spain are an easy target :-(
Old Jun 27th 2013, 12:49 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I am in a small town south of Valencia. A lack of Brits in the area may account for the price differences.

Rosemary
Yes it certainly sounds that way, i'm beginning to find the Brits in Spain are an easy target :-(
Are you trying to say that Spanish lawyers can be opportunist, low life, scumbags who over charge if they think they can get away with it, and take advantage.

Never......
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by me me
Are you trying to say that Spanish lawyers can be opportunist, low life, scumbags who over charge if they think they can get away with it, and take advantage.

Never......
Spanish lawyers or English lawyers all the same to me and do not know the nationality of the one that the poster is talking about but it comes up time and time again that Brits seem to be charged more than Spanish people.

Rosemary
Old Jun 27th 2013, 2:46 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Can someone please explain why there will be no Spanish Succession tax to pay when inheriting half of the house (plus other assets)?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

There WILL be succession tax, unfortunately!
Old Jun 28th 2013, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought certain areas if you had been resident a certain length of time and married possibly not?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 2:44 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

The OP mentioned that there would be no inheritance tax to pay. I think there will be but it may not be much.

I have never heard that there is 0 tax to pay. In some areas there is a 99% allowance if passing an estate to wife/husband but I don't know if that is the case where the OP lives.

This is a useful link -Spanish Succession Tax

Last edited by snikpoh; Jun 28th 2013 at 2:48 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Jut a quick look at your link under the Andelucia part does mention from 2008 there are specific instances where it could be 0 whether that applies in this case?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.