Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

spanish number plates

spanish number plates

Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:34 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default spanish number plates

please can anybody help me with some info. brother in law who has his english car here in spain has just decided he wants to get spanish number plates and change the car over to register it here in spain. the car is 10 years old and he has had the headlights changed and had a mot.
Thing is does anybody know how much the number plates could cost and also the rest of the process. the car is only worth about £1000. thanks v much
Old Nov 29th 2006, 2:40 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spanish number plates

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
please can anybody help me with some info. brother in law who has his english car here in spain has just decided he wants to get spanish number plates and change the car over to register it here in spain. the car is 10 years old and he has had the headlights changed and had a mot.
Thing is does anybody know how much the number plates could cost and also the rest of the process. the car is only worth about £1000. thanks v much
Don't really think it's worth it, could well cost around €500 just for the transfer. I did see someone locally who was advertising a car for sale, on the UK number plates he wanted €5,000, but he would sell it transfered, and if you wanted that, then he wanted €6,500
Old Nov 29th 2006, 3:30 pm
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Little point bothering if RHD in my opinion.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BritBull
Little point bothering if RHD in my opinion.
Total cost of transferring my car to spanish reg, including fees for Road tax, ITV and Gestor was 650€, car was LHD, 4 years old and valued at £7500 (previously registered in France. Process took about 3 months using an Gestor, you can do it yourself cheaper and probably quicker but it is time consuming and frustrating.
Most important document was a Declaracion de Baja, (NB must be less than a month old when submitted), obtained from the British Consulate for 30€, this effectively reduce the import tax liability from 12% to 4%, I would never have heard of it if my Gestor had not pointed out the savings ( My bill otherwise would have been approx 1400€!!!)
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Total cost of transferring my car to spanish reg, including fees for Road tax, ITV and Gestor was 650€, car was LHD, 4 years old and valued at £7500 (previously registered in France. Process took about 3 months using an Gestor, you can do it yourself cheaper and probably quicker but it is time consuming and frustrating.
Most important document was a Declaracion de Baja, (NB must be less than a month old when submitted), obtained from the British Consulate for 30€, this effectively reduce the import tax liability from 12% to 4%, I would never have heard of it if my Gestor had not pointed out the savings ( My bill otherwise would have been approx 1400€!!!)

Yes if you register your vehicle within 30 days of taking residency there is no tax to pay anyway

Unfortunately I had to register at Padron before my UK car was ready (as I bought a Spanish Car also). Cars 11 years old but I can't part with it!!
Old Nov 30th 2006, 5:32 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes if you register your vehicle within 30 days of taking residency there is no tax to pay anyway

Unfortunately I had to register at Padron before my UK car was ready (as I bought a Spanish Car also). Cars 11 years old but I can't part with it!!

thanks to you all for replies
Old Nov 30th 2006, 6:43 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, My partner and I have now changed around 100 cars in Chiclana. PM me and I will send you an A4 sheet of the paperwork you need. We reckon that it normally takes around three weeks and costs up to 650 euros plus headlights. There have been other threads on this subject if you want to go ahead. There are many ladies that prefer right hand drive around here as the ditches are not protected by the side of the narrow roads Dave
Old Nov 30th 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Hi,

When transfering to spanish plates can i ITV a UK registered car on the UK docs, before completing with a gestor. The only reason i ask is that we were still waiting for my wifes green doc on her spanish car when we recently tried to ITV and were told we could not on tempory cert from Gestor, our gestor issued another 60 day temp cover until new docs arrive.
Old Nov 30th 2006, 12:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulLes
Hi,

When transfering to spanish plates can i ITV a UK registered car on the UK docs, before completing with a gestor. The only reason i ask is that we were still waiting for my wifes green doc on her spanish car when we recently tried to ITV and were told we could not on tempory cert from Gestor, our gestor issued another 60 day temp cover until new docs arrive.
No, The ITV can only be done on Spanish plated cars, if you do find somewhere that will do it it will be illegal as the test is only allowed on cars palted in the same country, same as you couldn't get a foreign plated car MOT'd in the UK.AFAIK they are usually all done together, as the ITV station has to apporve the car for re registering. Can't see why it is taking so long as there are a number of firms out here quoting around 500€ and a time scale of 7 days. You have to ensure that your car has has NO alterations made since it was bought, no window tint added, no change of type of wheel, addition of spoliers etc, as the car will have to be restored to its original condition BEFORE it can be ITV'd and re registered, this is something that has already been covered on this forum in other threads.