Reload this Page >

Spanish MOT(ITV)

Spanish MOT(ITV)

Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:45 am
Just Joined

colinhea1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Spanish MOT(ITV)

I have just purchased a spanish registered car in the UK which I intend to
bring to Spain .I have been told that a vehicle must have the same spec that it left the factory if not it will fail the ITV.This car had alloy wheels but these have been changed to ordinary wheels,would this fail the ITV?

THANKS FOR ANY INFO ON THIS
Colin
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish MOT(ITV)

Originally Posted by colinhea1
bring to Spain .I have been told that a vehicle must have the same spec that it left the factory if not it will fail the ITV.This car had alloy wheels but these have been changed to ordinary wheels,would this fail the ITV?

Colin
Afaik It has to be exactly as the registration document. For instance my car was a UK reg and has alloy wheels which are not factory spec ... now these tyre / wheel sizes are shown on the reg doc, I cannot change them.

Convesresly a friend imported a car with standard wheels and wanted to add larger rim alloys, but has been told she cant.

Look at the Matricula and see what it says under neumaticos
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter what wheels you have, it's the tyres that are important.

The log book only mentions the tyre sizes. They must be the same size and the speed/load ratings must be the same or higher. If you wanted to fit larger wheels you could in theory but then the tyres would have to be bigger and that is not allowed as Mitzyboy pointed out.

These ratings are the last two such as 85H. My car has 85H on the logbook but was factory fitted with 91V.

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 4th 2008 at 2:49 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It doesn't matter what wheels you have, it's the tyres that are important.

The log book only mentions the tyre sizes. They must be the same size and the speed/load ratings must be the same or higher. If you wanted to fit larger wheels you could in theory but then the tyres would have to be bigger and that is not allowed as Mitzyboy pointed out.

These ratings are the last two such as 85H. My car has 85H on the logbook but was factory fitted with 91V.
AND... worth noting that they're also fussy about having the same brand and spec of tyre on the same axle... you can't mix and match.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:15 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colinhea1

Colin
Just a futher note; unless you've done your homework you might find once the official ownership change over is complete you may be landed with a large bill for backdated taxes.

This happens a fair bit when buying Spanish regged cars in the UK!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
Just a futher note; unless you've done your homework you might find once the official ownership change over is complete you may be landed with a large bill for backdated taxes.

This happens a fair bit when buying Spanish regged cars in the UK!
If you contact a gestor over here Colinhea1 they should be able to find out whats oustanding for you
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Afaik It has to be exactly as the registration document. For instance my car was a UK reg and has alloy wheels which are not factory spec ... now these tyre / wheel sizes are shown on the reg doc, I cannot change them.

Convesresly a friend imported a car with standard wheels and wanted to add larger rim alloys, but has been told she cant.

Look at the Matricula and see what it says under neumaticos
very true, someone wrote to a local paper about the cost of getting his car matriculated, he had had extensive modifications done, and was eventually quoted some 20,000ā‚¬ just to bring it back to its original spec as in the reg doc. He complained to the motoring correspondent, who owns a garage, and they had a look at the car and could only agree with the quote, as he aid in his article, don't bother bringing a much modified car over here, it's just not worth it.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:14 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
don't bother bringing a much modified car over here, it's just not worth it.
But I have .......... and it was
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:44 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But I have .......... and it was
I think you'll find that you were one of the lucky ones and I'd imagine the major contributing factor into it all was it's a 'rare' car that afaik was never available in Europe, which probably helped your case

I'm sure if you have a messed about with BMW or something it would have flagged up much more problems.

Slightly off topic but did you see that Spain now has the automatic plate recognition for uninsured cars? obviously at the moment it will only work on Spanish plated cars but the EU has been working on a combined database for a few years now.. So it might only be a matter of a short time before they start picking on uk plated cars!

Good is what I say! since the vast majority are uninsured or not insured properly!

Last edited by zel; Feb 5th 2008 at 4:47 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:38 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zel
I think you'll find that you were one of the lucky ones and I'd imagine the major contributing factor into it all was it's a 'rare' car that afaik was never available in Europe, which probably helped your case

I'm sure if you have a messed about with BMW or something it would have flagged up much more problems.

Slightly off topic but did you see that Spain now has the automatic plate recognition for uninsured cars? obviously at the moment it will only work on Spanish plated cars but the EU has been working on a combined database for a few years now.. So it might only be a matter of a short time before they start picking on uk plated cars!

Good is what I say! since the vast majority are uninsured or not insured properly!
Yes but the GC don't have many. We understand there is only one car fitted out with this equipment for the whole of Galicia.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Yes but the GC don't have many. We understand there is only one car fitted out with this equipment for the whole of Galicia.
Correct me if I'm wrong... but when I overheard this on the Spanish news I am sure they said there where only 12 cars with this throughout all of Spain! but with more to come in the future.

I think people would be shocked at the number of uninsured cars and mopeds there are on the roads here, I have had many conversations with people who have had brushes and the other party where not insured.

Even in the UK, wasn't it an American advisor of Cherie Blair who lived in London was caught uninsured in her very expensive car, only a couple of months ago!

The more they catch the better , being uninsured can cost others a lot of money.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Correct me if I'm wrong... but when I overheard this on the Spanish news I am sure they said there where only 12 cars with this throughout all of Spain! but with more to come in the future. .

That's quite correct and they are only operating in some provinces. Malaga is not affected but Granada is. It's only a matter of time before they are everywhere and a good thing too.

With the huge number of uninsured drivers in Spain, one car could pick up more uninsured drivers in one day than it could process!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:18 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Correct me if I'm wrong... but when I overheard this on the Spanish news I am sure they said there where only 12 cars with this throughout all of Spain! but with more to come in the future.......
That is what we mean for the country the size of Spain it is not enough. Galicia is about the same size as the Netherlands. One car is not a good enough deterrent.
From what we hear on the news there are more and more cars not insured in the U.K. too. And that is with all traffic cars fitted with similar devices.
In the Netherlands you cannot own a car without insurance. The government department will simply send you a fine if the car is uninsured or with out an APK (MOT). The only exceptions are: One if you are an owner of a garage, then you are coved to drive all cars in your possession (but your own private car must still be covered) and two: if the car is under a long-term restoration project.
Sending a fine through the post is a nice easy solution.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
That is what we mean for the country the size of Spain it is not enough.
I agree totally, 12 devices for the whole county is not enough.... 12 per province maybe...