Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish language courses

Spanish language courses

Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish language courses

I am interested in doing a crash course in Spanish. Say two months to get me started. I do speak French and can work my way through a Spanish menu and directions etc, already. What are the best institutes to go to? ad the best places (I'm thinking Grenada, Sevilla, Cordoba or Orgiva) but don't mind being on the English speaking Costas for two months
Old Nov 27th 2015, 7:32 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish language courses

If you heading for Andalusia then maybe the following video will be of help.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wJgr_mwcR1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old Nov 27th 2015, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that short courses in languages are not worth the money. If you have already learned a language then you have won half the battle. Get a decent textbook and hire a teacher for an hour a day.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

I'm 3/5ths of the way through Rosetta Stone and while it's OK I wouldn't spend too much money on a copy. The concept is fine but I find certain niggles with the program namely the lack of any translations or grammar explanation, the fact the speech recognition is iffy at best and the fact the program prevents you copying sentences into your clipboard to paste into a 3rd party translation program (which I always run concurrently).

I've no doubt RS is improving my Spanish and it's easy to get into the habit of spending 30mins a day on it .... any more and boredom really does kick in. As I've said before one of the most invaluable resources in the little App 6,000 Spanish words, only £10 for the paid for version and it is a really fun way to add to your vocab.

I'd like to hear others opinion of RS.
Old Dec 3rd 2015, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
I am interested in doing a crash course in Spanish. Say two months to get me started. I do speak French and can work my way through a Spanish menu and directions etc, already. What are the best institutes to go to? ad the best places (I'm thinking Grenada, Sevilla, Cordoba or Orgiva) but don't mind being on the English speaking Costas for two months
I'd agree with Scot47, above. Invest your money in a private teacher for an hour, which could cost €20, depending.
When I did 2 years of advanced Spanish in the Escuela de Idiomas in Bilbao we used the text book "Español lengua viva", which has a workbook and CD's. You might want to look at them in a bookshop to get an idea of your level; you could be at A1 or A2 level. They're good books.
Try also the online "Prueba de nivel" in the Escuela de Idiomas website to see your level.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been using a 'free' on-line language course - Duolingo which, surprisingly, is actually very good.
Old Dec 10th 2015, 6:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigmomma1
We have been using a 'free' on-line language course - Duolingo which, surprisingly, is actually very good.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Old Dec 10th 2015, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary