Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Language Classes?

Spanish Language Classes?

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:28 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Language Classes?

I hear from a number of people in this town and in the surrounding areas that the Ayuntamientos have free Spanish language classes for Brits.
I've been in Spain nearly two years now and I've never had a Spanish lesson in my life......and I wouldn't go to one even if I had the time. Which I don't. Me and classroom environments just don't get on I'm afraid.
However....one consistent factor with all of these classes I've heard about is the same. And frankly I'm baffled by it!
And that's the fact that none of these Spanish language teachers can speak English.
So how can they possibly teach Spanish? It makes no sense to me whatsoever!
And I've seen the results of people attending these sessions for a long period of time....they seem to know hundreds of irrelevant words they'll never use, yet are totally incapable of doing anything with the language.
Last week I had one of them ask me to ring up Telefonica for him to tell them he had no ADSL. Seems he knew the words for every obscure animal and kitchen utensil on the planet, but yet couldn't conduct a simple conversation.
Anybody had experience with these type of classes where the teacher speaks no English? Cos I'd be interested to know how exactly they manage to teach......sign language? Matchstick men on blackboards? Cartoons?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Karmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spanish Language Classes?

Originally Posted by XTreme
I hear from a number of people in this town and in the surrounding areas that the Ayuntamientos have free Spanish language classes for Brits.
I've been in Spain nearly two years now and I've never had a Spanish lesson in my life......and I wouldn't go to one even if I had the time. Which I don't. Me and classroom environments just don't get on I'm afraid.
However....one consistent factor with all of these classes I've heard about is the same. And frankly I'm baffled by it!
And that's the fact that none of these Spanish language teachers can speak English.
So how can they possibly teach Spanish? It makes no sense to me whatsoever!
And I've seen the results of people attending these sessions for a long period of time....they seem to know hundreds of irrelevant words they'll never use, yet are totally incapable of doing anything with the language.
Last week I had one of them ask me to ring up Telefonica for him to tell them he had no ADSL. Seems he knew the words for every obscure animal and kitchen utensil on the planet, but yet couldn't conduct a simple conversation.
Anybody had experience with these type of classes where the teacher speaks no English? Cos I'd be interested to know how exactly they manage to teach......sign language? Matchstick men on blackboards? Cartoons?
Is it not just reverse psychology, we think we are there to learn Spanish but really its a clever trick to get us to teach them ENGLISH!!!!

Ha, you have to get up early to catch me out!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:11 am
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karmen
Is it not just reverse psychology, we think we are there to learn Spanish but really its a clever trick to get us to teach them ENGLISH!!!!

Ha, you have to get up early to catch me out!
You could be onto something there K!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have brought this up before in other threads, but it appears to be usual.
Also peolpe from the UK teach English to classes in France, Italy etc with no local language knowledge, I can`t remember the name of the alleged certification of it.
Like you say, it must just be picture stuff similar to showing a young child a first reding book.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Well we started classes on Monday and go again today. Our teacher is Dutch and can speak Dutch, German, English and Spanish. My husband really didn't want to go because he was worried about picking anything up but to be honest he was better than me. We have a course book and a homework book and have paid for classes until the end of January. Will let you know how we got on after that time!!!!!!

P.S. Certainly were not free though!! I had heard that the courses were also free but are paying €32 each month as we are on padron - €42 if not on padron

Last edited by SueG; Oct 4th 2007 at 7:55 am. Reason: Added P.S.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
Well we started classes on Monday and go again today. Our teacher is Dutch and can speak Dutch, German, English and Spanish. My husband really didn't want to go because he was worried about picking anything up but to be honest he was better than me. We have a course book and a homework book and have paid for classes until the end of January. Will let you know how we got on after that time!!!!!!

P.S. Certainly were not free though!! I had heard that the courses were also free but are paying €32 each month as we are on padron - €42 if not on padron
Is the 32 euros each or for you as a couple? Also how did you find out about the classes?

Rosemary
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:10 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

ours are free and start next week it is a PC based course so no need for the teacher to speak english
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Is the 32 euros each or for you as a couple? Also how did you find out about the classes?

Rosemary
Afraid not €32 each. You would be very proud of me rang the Council and asked in very hesitant Spanish did they have anyone who spoke English and was then transferred. Told to just come to the class on Monday at 9 with our padron. Needless to say was there at 8.45 (good girl!) and then waited around until 12.45 which was our lesson time but all good fun.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Karmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant futureKarmen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gallerie9
ours are free and start next week it is a PC based course so no need for the teacher to speak english
Well dont keep it to yourself! If your getting free lessons computer based or not SHARE the DETAILS, How, when, where, I WANT ONE!!!

Otherwise its deemed as just BRAGGING!!!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:22 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Is this organised by the town hall? Unfortunately our town hall is not providing any classes and have not been able to tell us where we might be able to go for lessons. We desperately need classes in order to gain practice.

Rosemary
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:29 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Is this organised by the town hall? Unfortunately our town hall is not providing any classes and have not been able to tell us where we might be able to go for lessons. We desperately need classes in order to gain practice.

Rosemary

They do them here in Oliva as well, start every October, but they are hugely subscribed to with 60ish to a class.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 9:55 am
Mucho Macho

How can there be no need for the teacher to speak English?

How do you ask questions or clear up points of confusion?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

SHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud ofSHERGAR has much to be proud of

We are learning spanish on D V D.Its a course by a guy called Micheal Thomas.We find it excellent as it involves NO books or writing.You can also play it as musac in the background an its amazing how you pick things up without realising it.It is published by a company called Hodder and Stoughton.We are travelling over to spain tomorrow(calpe) and will be learning as we drive.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

ZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really niceZoeOddJob is just really nice

Originally Posted by XTreme
How can there be no need for the teacher to speak English?

How do you ask questions or clear up points of confusion?
I went to a language school where the teachers did not speak English in class. The class size was never over 6 people, and the level was intermediate. At first I felt like you, how can they clarify any confusion or misunderstanding, but it did work. If you don't understand a word or phrase, then it is put to you in a way that you do understand, with words that you do understand. Also we used a book that was completely in Spanish, but with the use of examples, pictures, cartoons explained everything, including all of the grammar. We were allowed to use dictionaries, however the teacher did not really like this and preferred us to ask, at which point he encouraged the other students to explain, or he would if they couldn't. I learnt a lot on this course (it was quite expensive though) and it really filled me with confidence. I learnt a lot of conversational skills, how people in Spain actually talk, which is not how I was taught back in the UK (by Spanish teachers who always reverted to English).

The teacher told us that they also use this method with beginners, presumably the text book would have more use of pictures. I spoke to some of the beginners and they said they'd learnt loads and felt really confident.

So for me this method works, more so than reverting to English for explanations etc, it makes you think about how you can get your point across without having all of the vocabulary.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:20 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SHERGAR
We are learning spanish on D V D.Its a course by a guy called Micheal Thomas.We find it excellent as it involves NO books or writing.You can also play it as musac in the background an its amazing how you pick things up without realising it.It is published by a company called Hodder and Stoughton.We are travelling over to spain tomorrow(calpe) and will be learning as we drive.
First time I listened to that I fell asleep to the drone of his voice. ;-))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.