Spanish ITV

Old Feb 17th 2006, 9:12 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future
Default Spanish ITV

I'm due to take my English car for an ITV (the Spanish equivalent of an MOT) soon - I'm feeling a bit nervous as I haven't done this before and my Spanish is still in it's infancy.

Is this a major challenge? I know people offer to take your car and do it for you so many people must also be put off from doing this themselves.

Is it straightforward or a nightmare!

Thanks

Mark
Old Feb 18th 2006, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Spanish ITV

Last month I used the local ITV station, here in Malaga, with no problems at all. I suggest you get there as early as possible to avoid the rush. Take your paperwork for the vehicle and check in at the office. I recall I paid around 35 euros. They then allocate you a line to join with your vehicle and away you go.

If your Spanish is not up to the level required, no problems, as hand signals seem to work well. You remain in the car throughout the test. The whole thing from start to finish took me around an hour. They do seem to be pretty thorough.

After the inspection is complete I was given my stamped car document back and a sticker which you should attach to the windscreen.
Let us know how you get on !
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confirm for you Meseta is quite correct, it is an easy process and if you do not speak Spanish hand signals will suffice, also if your car is under ten years old the ITV lasts for two years.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 10:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Just to confirm for you Meseta is quite correct, it is an easy process and if you do not speak Spanish hand signals will suffice, also if your car is under ten years old the ITV lasts for two years.
Thats good to know .... I used to take my motorhome for MOT's in the UK and it was a nightmare as you couldn't hear what the examiners were saying to you in the busy testing shed. I was a bit worried about taking a car to ITV as my Spainsh isn't up to it yet!
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

The good thing here is that it is a dedicated centre, Government run and hence you are not in the hands of the local MOT garage as in UK. So they do not rip you off with bogus problems. Also if a minor problem you have 14 days to sort and take it back and they retest free.
Very clean and an excellent test.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
The good thing here is that it is a dedicated centre, Government run and hence you are not in the hands of the local MOT garage as in UK. So they do not rip you off with bogus problems. Also if a minor problem you have 14 days to sort and take it back and they retest free.
Very clean and an excellent test.
Yes, the MOT for a motorhome in the UK over a certain weight limit has to go to the DOT testing station because of its size. They're used to dealing with commercial vehicles and therefore bark out instructions whilst you're sitting in the cab and get annoyed when you don't react! However you can't hear them due to the amount of trucks, vans and motorhomes lined up along side you.
I'll have more chance of understanding a Spaniard than I did them
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I have been told by an ex artic. driver that the ITV is very similar to the DOT ones in UK.
When we changed our number plates the cars were also measured despite having already having this done by the technico, would you believe it, (well it is Spain) they did not agree on measurement so the car failed until Snr Sancez got involved. Argued the point and low and behold we had our pass.
pwwm
Old Feb 18th 2006, 11:34 am
Senior Moment

Well I think I'm going to have a bit of a nightmare, and might get a gestoria to arrange it. My cars a Japanese Import into the UK, and although it is EU certified I'm sure its going to cause a lot of head scratching and confusion.

I do know of a Spanish lady who got one in last year though in Calpe so I know it can be done
Old Feb 18th 2006, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Mitzyboy

If you are looking for a straight ITV then it should be ok, but change to Spanish plates might be different. If this is what you are planning you will need a "special ITV" this is for cambio de matricula, but before the ITV you would need the car to be inspected by a "technico"

pwwm
Old Feb 18th 2006, 7:29 pm
Senior Moment

Yes I realised its not as strightforward as a normal one, thats why I'm probably going to use someone to arrange it all for me. The headlights have to be doctored as well as there are no such things as LHD lights for this car and deflectors don't work
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:33 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future

The advice here was very helpful with putting my mind at ease and I've now successfully been through the process.

It really wasn't too bad but I can understand why some people pay someone to take their car and get it done for them.

Firstly I went to Benidorm which is a big centre and I didn't understand part of what the lady was saying so in that regard it was confusing.

Most importantly - I found they didn't do them on the day - you had to make a reservation so that was half the day wasted as I had to go back the next day.

I actually went to a smaller centre the next day and as the centre was a portacabin and something resembling a cow shed it was obvious what to do and less intimidating.

In hindsight the process is really very straightforward but some basic Spanish is necessary.

Mark
Old Mar 15th 2006, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi GCM

Glad you found it relatively easy, I agree re basic Spanish or at least have a good dictionary with you.

Defintely not worth paying for someone to do for you.

Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

why are you taking your ENGLISH car for an ITV ??

for an english car to be legal in spain it must be legal in its home country.

an ITV is a WASTE OF MONEY. it means NOTHING.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bfg69bug

for an english car to be legal in spain it must be legal in its home country.

an ITV is a WASTE OF MONEY. it means NOTHING.
I agree. But maybe it has already been put onto Spanish plates, being the former car used in England ? If it is still on English plates, then it should conform to the registration rules of the country it is registered in. These are clear enough. A brief look at the following sites can help:
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think you have misread the posts, we have been talking about change of Matricula ie number plates. Yes we have English cars or at least they were, both now on Spanish plates and legal. Even then they were both imports to UK prior to us buying them.

I agree that ITV is a waste of time on a British plated car and have posted as such elsewhere.It is a courtesy nothing else.

pwwm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.