Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Internet

Spanish Internet

Old Oct 31st 2013, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

BrianG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Internet

I'm moving over to Spain next year and am looking at living around the Nerja area. I am planning to work from home via the internet. How does it compare in speed, cost and reliability with Broadband in the UK?

BrianG
Old Nov 1st 2013, 7:48 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Internet

Hi

In a word - POORLY - more expensive for slower speeds and not always reliable - BUT that´s in general, there are places where reliability is better

Davexf
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrianG
I'm moving over to Spain next year and am looking at living around the Nerja area. I am planning to work from home via the internet. How does it compare in speed, cost and reliability with Broadband in the UK?

BrianG
We live in Javea Port Alicante.
We are with Telefonica as they are the major telephone company.
They are by no means the cheapest , but we have found them most reliable
39.95 for Broadband only, that is with a Broadband Wireless Router 6mg.
They have always got special offers on the go, so wait until you are here and check.
Other providers depend on them giving them the lines
If you can afford to pay , look no further they are about the best.
Depends on where yuou are living obivously.
You wil here some horror stories regarding their service ,but I am sure that can be said about most suppliers, I have only in 10 years had to call them no more that six times.
Hope this helps it is a minefield out there.'
Regards
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies...

Assuming that I have work to bring with me (that I am being paid for!), reliability is a bigger factor than cost.

BrianG
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should check with them as the current rate for ADSL is €19.90 +iva.

In fact if you take the Fusion Cero option you get ADSL, land line, free national calls and a mobile phone speech/text/data contract for €35 +iva for the lot.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

sam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant futuresam54140 has a brilliant future

what about ONO(cable-optic fiber) ? EUR 27/month 100/10MB (down/up)
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Are all of the companies national?

I am looking to move to the Malaga area....

BrianG
Old Nov 7th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do is once you found a place, get someone who is in same street with Movistar or any of the providers through the line and then contact the companies and they will tell you the best speed, getting through is a hassle if you cant speak Spanish, so either be committed or find someone who will translate for a while.

The other alternative is Wireless through a dish, cheaper but not always as fast.

Malaga if in the city should be v.fast as in fibre
Old Nov 7th 2013, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks very much for that...

BrianG
Old Nov 7th 2013, 8:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Best thing to do is once you found a place, get someone who is in same street with Movistar or any of the providers through the line and then contact the companies and they will tell you the best speed,
As Telefonica own the lines, the speed you get down that line will normally be the same whichever ISP you use. They can't change the characteristics of the line as it doesn't belong to them.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 6:47 am
Just Joined

MrRoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrianG
Thanks very much for that...

BrianG
Hi BrianG my post was taken down but now you can check out my signature

AG
Old Nov 8th 2013, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
As Telefonica own the lines, the speed you get down that line will normally be the same whichever ISP you use. They can't change the characteristics of the line as it doesn't belong to them.
I know, what I meant was sometimes the line is only 3mb and the homeowner may not know, so if they don't know then you can call say Jazztel if they have equipment in the exchange as they do where I live and then they can tell you the speed.

Once you have someone's landline number then you can see if the speed is better or worse than the wimax (this was my main point) not only that not everyone would know if there line is ready for fibre, we looked at a house in Elche and the owner had no idea that you could get 50mb's.

so its worth finding out.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:50 am
Just Joined

celia50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think you should check with them as the current rate for ADSL is €19.90 +iva.

In fact if you take the Fusion Cero option you get ADSL, land line, free national calls and a mobile phone speech/text/data contract for €35 +iva for the lot.
How long does Telefonica contract last ? Can you opt out also what happens when you move back to UK !
Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:30 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celia50
How long does Telefonica contract last ? Can you opt out also what happens when you move back to UK !
I think it lasts 12 months but it might be 18 (can't remember) after that you don't have to give notice to quit.

If you go back to UK then I would assume the debt keeps rolling on unless it's paid.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:37 am

It depends on the service. A line is 6 months, with ADSL there is no minimum and mobiles are usually 12 months.

The new Fusion contract (which is a very good deal) combines a landline, ADSL and a mobile contact (with data) and that is 12 months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.