Reload this Page >

The Spanish housing bubble

The Spanish housing bubble

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

ivanmax will become famous soon enoughivanmax will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Spanish housing bubble

Originally Posted by bobd22
Ivan as a Spaniard how do you see the Euro's involvment in this and the way they are dealing with it
I really thing we are coming back to the peseta really soon. Almost any Spaniard will tell you the euro has been a nightmare for Spain. Prices have rocketed since we have it, and salaries are even lower than ten years ago.

We (all the Western world) are ruled by bankers who only care about their businesses. I really think we need a revolution which ends their tyranny. Rich people is richer and poor people is poorer. This has to be changed.

While I am writing this I´ve got my TV on. You know what I am seeing? An adverd of a company trying to sell yet another machine to lose weight at home easily. Don´t you think it is amazing half the world is worried about losing weight while the rest are starving to death?

We need changes now. Not only in Spain, everywhere.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by casa del sol
Who would want to live in a built up, noisy place like London after living in the openness and freedom of Spain....space, mountains, sea countryside and open skies without light pollution is not available in London at any price I am afraid....not to be recommended at any price.
What a ridiculous comparison.
As a Londoner (and lover of my holiday home in Spain), my home shall always be in London.
I really cannot stand the thought of living "in the sticks" whether that be Spain or the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:46 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanmax
Well, if you are happy in Spain, just stay here. It´s a lovely country with lovely people, lovely food and lovely weather. We got a fantastic health service and great education, and people tend to mind their own business and live and let live.

Prices are going down for sure. If you are retired and get a pension from the U.K you will have an easy live in Spain. Just stay here. If you have to work...well, being able to speak English goes a long way in Spain. I work as a teacher nowadays (primary school one). Just train yourself to be a teacher (4 years) and you will have as much work as you want. Being and English native speaker you can also work in the private sector (language schools) with no training at all. So, any English native speaker can work easily around here.

If you want to sell your house...it depends on how much you paid for it. If you bought it at the peak of the bubble (2007) you are likely to lose a lot of money if you sell it now. If you can afford having a house here and another in the UK don´t sell your Spanish home.

I don´t know really...times are very bad over here. Worst than anytime in the last 35 years I would say. I can say that being 36 I have never seen anything like this before. Who knows what will happen...

The only thing I can really say without fearing being wrong is that things are going to get much, much worse.
when you say train to become a teacher, do you mean as to work in a state school?

If so you have not mentioned the "opositions" which are necessary to do that.

And if folks are without work and hanging in there 4 years is a long time.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I tell you what with the beaches we have if we had the weather property here would be worth a fortune.
No it wouldn't. Look at Spain.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:55 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I really thing we are coming back to the peseta really soon. Almost any Spaniard will tell you the euro has been a nightmare for Spain. Prices have rocketed since we have it, and salaries are even lower than ten years ago.

We (all the Western world) are ruled by bankers who only care about their businesses. I really think we need a revolution which ends their tyranny. Rich people is richer and poor people is poorer. This has to be changed.

While I am writing this I´ve got my TV on. You know what I am seeing? An adverd of a company trying to sell yet another machine to lose weight at home easily. Don´t you think it is amazing half the world is worried about losing weight while the rest are starving to death?

We need changes now. Not only in Spain, everywhere.
If or when the peseta comes back, prices will still be the same for people living in Spain.

Before the peseta was fixed at 166 to the euro. so the price of a coffee jumped up over night from around 100 pes.

If the peseta comes back then the prices will rise again as if the exchange eurp/peseta comes out and an "awkward" number so that an item costs 467pesetas for example, it will be rounded up to 500.

That is the way it always goes, just the rounding up of awkward numbers will put prices up by a certain percentage....

Peseta or not things will not get cheaper.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:09 am
Banned

About working as a language teacher in an academy, I know someone who had one(now retired), and a few peoplewho worked there.

The academy was a money spinner for the owner, classes of smallish groups of up to 8 or there abouts.

Plenty of pupils, but the thing was that everyone wanted to come to class at the same time, ie from 7pm to 9pm usualy.

This meant that about 10 teachers were needed but each teacher was contracted for about 2 hours a day.

Of course the teachers came and went as the short contracts were pretty useless for "cotizando" towards pension, dole, maternity pay etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Well bad or not I cant wait to live in my house in Spain ." Rip Off" it is and has been for some time. Anybody over 21 will know how prices have gone up in Britain compared to the rest of Europe. If you think that Spain is expensive then compare living in the UK. We have had a large increase in food prices in the last two years, because of " Global commodity prices" well they have not increased nearly as much in Spain. Somebody is making a profit. The fact that it has coincided with a Tory government must be a coincidence surely?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
About working as a language teacher in an academy, I know someone who had one(now retired), and a few peoplewho worked there.

The academy was a money spinner for the owner, classes of smallish groups of up to 8 or there abouts.

Plenty of pupils, but the thing was that everyone wanted to come to class at the same time, ie from 7pm to 9pm usualy.

This meant that about 10 teachers were needed but each teacher was contracted for about 2 hours a day.

Of course the teachers came and went as the short contracts were pretty useless for "cotizando" towards pension, dole, maternity pay etc.
Agree, for the owners it can be a goldmine, not so great for the teachers, I think most just use it as a stepping stone to move onto something else. Most seem to be young, gaining experience, I never saw any older teachers, I guessed they'd already moved on. As I said previously, some odd working hours, some in the morning, some afternoons, some evenings, some weekends etc And all for not a lot of money!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Yeah it's either London or Spain, no beautiful countryside and coasts in the UK is there
Of course there are many beautiful country and coastal places to live in the UK BUT the gulf between house prices there and most other places (excepting London and the South East) means that people cannot afford to sell up and move to them. Even young people born and brought up in those areas are having to move away to find somewhere affordable to buy or rent, as what few properties become available are often snapped up by wealthy second home owners.

It's hardly surprising, therefore, that over the last 20 years or so people have chosen to relocate to countries where they can afford to buy in coastal areas or pretty villages, depending on their preferences, in a better climate.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

I agree when you say that owners of language schools make lots of money, while teachers are badly paid. Then...why not setting up your own language school? It is very cheap to do so. You can buy second hand chairs and tables, hire a cheap place (lots of then around now), paint the walls in white and hang up a few "British" paraphernalia on the walls. And you are in business having spent very little money.

I work as a state school teacher. It took me 3 years to take the degree and 1 year to pass the "opposition" (the state exam). So 4 years in total. A long time if you are out of work yes...but if you want to work you need to be properly trained. I did all kinds of part-time jobs while taking my degree. When I found money was not enough I set up my own internet company, which is still running. Again, if you want to work in Spain nowadays you need to be well trained and very resourful. Is either that or being part of the 5 million unemployed.

The peseta? Well, I didn´t say having the peseta back will be good for Spanish people´s economy. Actually, as you said, it will be terrible for us. But this doesn´t mean in won´t happen.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I agree when you say that owners of language schools make lots of money, while teachers are badly paid. Then...why not setting up your own language school? It is very cheap to do so. You can buy second hand chairs and tables, hire a cheap place (lots of then around now), paint the walls in white and hang up a few "British" paraphernalia on the walls. And you are in business having spent very little money.
I admire the thought behind this, but it's never that simple, I can assure you
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

I know it´s not simple, but there´s nothing simple nowadays.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you are happy in Spain, just stay here. It´s a lovely country with lovely people, lovely food and lovely weather. We got a fantastic health service and great education, and people tend to mind their own business and live and let live.

Prices are going down for sure. If you are retired and get a pension from the U.K you will have an easy live in Spain. Just stay here. If you have to work...well, being able to speak English goes a long way in Spain. I work as a teacher nowadays (primary school one). Just train yourself to be a teacher (4 years) and you will have as much work as you want. Being and English native speaker you can also work in the private sector (language schools) with no training at all. So, any English native speaker can work easily around here.

If you want to sell your house...it depends on how much you paid for it. If you bought it at the peak of the bubble (2007) you are likely to lose a lot of money if you sell it now. If you can afford having a house here and another in the UK don´t sell your Spanish home.

I don´t know really...times are very bad over here. Worst than anytime in the last 35 years I would say. I can say that being 36 I have never seen anything like this before. Who knows what will happen...

The only thing I can really say without fearing being wrong is that things are going to get much, much worse.
Realistic answer
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:34 am
Banned

Hi,

I work as a state school teacher. It took me 3 years to take the degree and 1 year to pass the "opposition" (the state exam). So 4 years in total. A long time if you are out of work yes...but if you want to work you need to be properly trained. I did all kinds of part-time jobs while taking my degree. When I found money was not enough I set up my own internet company, which is still running. Again, if you want to work in Spain nowadays you need to be well trained and very resourful. Is either that or being part of the 5 million unemployed.

The peseta? Well, I didn´t say having the peseta back will be good for Spanish people´s economy. Actually, as you said, it will be terrible for us. But this doesn´t mean in won´t happen.
About setting up the academy........do you really think that in this day and age people will go to a "cheaply set up place with a few second hand chairs"?

Every office that offers a service has to look the part....if a place looks cheap it will not inspire confidence, it will look lazy and sloppy, and people ecpect to see an investment of some sort to show seriousness on the part of the owners....

About the oppostions, Idont know where you did your, but you were very lucky to get a place in 1 year. Most people have various goes before getting in to the system.

Dont forget in a lot of regions oppositions for any might not have any places at all on offer, and there is no exam held.

Also to expect a non native speaker to pass, is a very big ask. You make it sound so easy......but it is nigh on impossible
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:01 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I admire the thought behind this, but it's never that simple, I can assure you
you're right - it isn't

I looked into it just before the 'crash' - even got as far as looking at premises etc., we were going to run as a sort of 'co-op' between me & a couple of other language teachers teaching different languages

the paperwork involved was amazing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.