Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish House insurance

Spanish House insurance

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish House insurance

Well having mentioned never having seen crime around here, someone tried to drill through our gate locks the other night (teach me to keep my gob shut) ... didn't get anywhere as they are good locks, but cost me €350 to replace them.

So I go to my Mapfre insurance docs to see if I can claim for them ...... and I notice a previously unnoticed paragraph stating that I must have an alarm system linked to a monitoring system with a maintenance contract. When I took out the insurance I actually asked if I would get a discount for having an alarm fitted and they said no it would make no difference! So last year I paid €360 euros insurance for seemingly nothing and now I need to get alarmed up. I'd not bothered before as we are walled, gated window barred, lit up and 12 lever deadlocks on the doors, amongst other little tricks.

Check your policy
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of
Default Re: Spanish House insurance

Glad nothing was taken, but you've raised a very important point re insurance.

They are happy to take your money - not just for houses but for English plated cars that should be off the road - but when it comes time to claim . . . That's why I made the point on another thread re gas bottles and house insurance.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe King
That's why I made the point on another thread re gas bottles and house insurance.
Thats what prompted me to post this.
My house is like a castle security wise to be honest, but that wouldn't matter if we had a fire or some such catastrophic event.

An alarm connected to a monitor station in Madrid will be just a deterrent to be honest as I have no faith in them.

And suprise suprise, I discover that Mapfre and Securitas hav a kickback deal together, and the terms of insurance are pushing you towards Securitas direct
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Thats what prompted me to post this.
My house is like a castle security wise to be honest, but that wouldn't matter if we had a fire or some such catastrophic event.

An alarm connected to a monitor station in Madrid will be just a deterrent to be honest as I have no faith in them.

And suprise suprise, I discover that Mapfre and Securitas hav a kickback deal together, and the terms of insurance are pushing you towards Securitas direct
Those alarms are very good, I turned the electric off to do some work and they phoned up to check what had happened as there were no problems with the electric supply in the area.
Also once when a painter opened the basement door that still had the alarm set on, they phoned.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:05 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jdr
Those alarms are very good, I turned the electric off to do some work and they phoned up to check what had happened as there were no problems with the electric supply in the area.
Also once when a painter opened the basement door that still had the alarm set on, they phoned.
I dont doubt that, and there are a couple of other tricks too, but I'm not sure about the ability of the Local Police to get up here in the time required after having received a call from Madrid.

My alternative is a GSM alarm that calls three phone numbers, and then you call out the Police yourself, but maybe theyd take more notice of a monitoring centre than a panicking member of the public. Whichever, you need a keyholder.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:18 am
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr

"Yes, everything's alright I'm just a painter who set off the alarm accidentally"
"Oh, that's OK then, we won't send anyone out"
"OK thank you" (whispers) "get that gear in the van sharpish before the owner comes back"
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
"Yes, everything's alright I'm just a painter who set off the alarm accidentally"
"Oh, that's OK then, we won't send anyone out"
"OK thank you" (whispers) "get that gear in the van sharpish before the owner comes back"
First thing they ask for is the code number ;-))
Then they phone the police and security to cancel the callout.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:47 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzy, call Mapfre and ask them about the cover anyway.

Even if you had the alarm thingie, it would've been indoors and probably not on your gate. Argue the toss with them and see what happens.

Everytime we've insured a home we have been asked separately about the house having an alarm system and if it does, the insurance usually give you a decent discount on the policy.

BTW, check out Allianz too as they are doing home insurance policies a bit cheaper than Mapfre at the moment.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:52 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by MnM
Mitzy, call Mapfre and ask them about the cover anyway.

Even if you had the alarm thingie, it would've been indoors and probably not on your gate. Argue the toss with them and see what happens.

Everytime we've insured a home we have been asked separately about the house having an alarm system and if it does, the insurance usually give you a decent discount on the policy.

BTW, check out Allianz too as they are doing home insurance policies a bit cheaper than Mapfre at the moment.
Mapfre (via my bank) took the annual payment last week without telling me (as they do!)

I'm going to go to Mapfre but am confined to house at the moment awaiting Iberdrola
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:01 pm
MnM

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Mapfre (via my bank) took the annual payment last week without telling me (as they do!)

I'm going to go to Mapfre but am confined to house at the moment awaiting Iberdrola
Yes, I know that's what all insurances do. Your money just disappears from your bank account on the day due.

The only thing with Mapfre is that if you want to cancel you have to send them a letter one month in advance of the expiry date, otherwise you have to wait another year.

As far as the Iberdrola comment, all I have to say is *groan*!!!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Well having mentioned never having seen crime around here, someone tried to drill through our gate locks the other night (teach me to keep my gob shut) ... didn't get anywhere as they are good locks, but cost me €350 to replace them.

So I go to my Mapfre insurance docs to see if I can claim for them ...... and I notice a previously unnoticed paragraph stating that I must have an alarm system linked to a monitoring system with a maintenance contract. When I took out the insurance I actually asked if I would get a discount for having an alarm fitted and they said no it would make no difference! So last year I paid €360 euros insurance for seemingly nothing and now I need to get alarmed up. I'd not bothered before as we are walled, gated window barred, lit up and 12 lever deadlocks on the doors, amongst other little tricks.

Check your policy
What happen in Spain these last years (because it has not always happened) it is so much blame of Aznar like of Zapatero. Aznar because he allowed to enter to Spain at hundred of thousands of inmigrantes (of course, I don´t speak of europeans) without the corresponding paper work (they were not demanded practically nothing), and then arrived other useless (Zapatero), this " illuminated " has not only worsened the situation of Spain in all the senses (housing, employment, foreign policy, prices, etc etc etc...) but rather he began to legalize all the people that there was in this country, and without approval of the European Union

Then, as the doors of this country they opened up wide, here has entered whole type of people. Hard-working and honest people, and mob of the worst kind, as the mafias of the countries of the east and the South Americans. Before they were simple " chorizos ". And the robberies were strange. But when were, the thief or thieves made it when you were not at home. And was a saw, a ham, a tele as maximum ...few thing. But now...Now we are speaking of organized groups of countries of the east, mob that doesn't care if you are inside or outside of your house that they want money, jewels or your car, and that they don't doubt to hit to you to pleasure if they believe it necessary

I have clear that if I surprise a thief in my house I erase it of the map. Because if I don't make it, I losing (we have a rubbish of justice, if it is that we can call justice to what there is in this country), and already I don´t speak if is foreign, then in two days it is in the street. As these groups of rumanian children, gipsy. They are sent by their parents to steal, but they are protected by our rubbish of law, only because they are smaller. To me personally that a Rumanian gipsy boy steals me, I shake him a HOSTIA, that tremble him the ears

And then that come with the Ley del Menor, law that I will clean the ass with this law

Last edited by Relampago; Oct 23rd 2007 at 1:01 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:50 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Yes, I know that's what all insurances do. Your money just disappears from your bank account on the day due.

The only thing with Mapfre is that if you want to cancel you have to send them a letter one month in advance of the expiry date, otherwise you have to wait another year.

As far as the Iberdrola comment, all I have to say is *groan*!!!
All I did was to stop the DD, and ignore the letters. worked for me.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:11 pm
MnM

Originally Posted by mikelincs
All I did was to stop the DD, and ignore the letters. worked for me.
That works if the house insurance is not tied into your mortgage. If it is, then you've got to play by the rules. The bank insists on it
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:15 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by MnM
That works if the house insurance is not tied into your mortgage. If it is, then you've got to play by the rules. The bank insists on it
Aint got a mortgage
But the insurance was taken out through the bank
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to hear about the attempted break-in Mitzyboy

I'm glad that nothing was taken, and that you are OK.

Thank you for the advice about checking policies.............that will be a whole new ball game for us once we've built our house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.