Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Holiday

Spanish Holiday

Old Jul 13th 2021, 6:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Spanish Holiday

Morning all,

Seeking any general advice or suggestions for a potential holiday to Spain. Given the travel issues from the UAE and the AZ vaccine we've had being produced in India, our options are restricted. Spain has been a long standing family favourite so we're keen to meet parents there.

In my head, I see a villa above a town perhaps with a nice view, nice pool, big outside areas, BBQ and pleasant accommodation. Ideally a half decent airport nearby so not doing huge trips to pick up parents (there's potentially 3 sets of visitors to join us - my Dad on his own, her Dad and his partner and her Mum on her own. All for about 3-5 days each and no crossovers likely). Everyone is vaccinated, we're just keen to see our parents so a villa seems logical and isolated enough that we can stay in all the time if preferred.

Location is the tricky bit, I can get to Madrid or Barcelona easily but then would have to travel from there. Not afraid of a long drive - quite enjoy it, but is Madrid to Malaga a soul destroying journey by car or just a pleasant motorway cruise?
We've written off a few places;
North of Barcelona as we used to have a family home there and went all the time (around Girona etc)
Murcia - her Dad is visiting later in the year so don't want to go twice.
Ayamonte bit - her Dad had a place there and I don't think the Mrs wants to go back, would rather see somewhere new.

I've sort of settled on something around Valencia or Malaga so far..... I think something with a sea view potential would be nice but I'm happy to be suggested otherwise. Both seem pleasant places to visit in their own right and offer something more lively if we decided it was worth while.

My question is, where else would you recommend for this sort of trip? Am I overlooking an obvious option?

Really appreciate any suggestions.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Holiday

I'd say this can basically be found all over Spain: In my head, I see a villa above a town perhaps with a nice view, nice pool, big outside areas, BBQ and pleasant accommodation.
We have a holiday home near Girona and I would have obviously suggested the area if you hadn't written it off. Otherwise much of the coast further down that way is the same if we're honest and you have a town, a promenade and restaurants in most places. Of course inland Spain might offer something very different and even the North of Spain but you can't go wrong with Valencia area and no need to really drive down further.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 7:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'd say this can basically be found all over Spain: In my head, I see a villa above a town perhaps with a nice view, nice pool, big outside areas, BBQ and pleasant accommodation.
We have a holiday home near Girona and I would have obviously suggested the area if you hadn't written it off. Otherwise much of the coast further down that way is the same if we're honest and you have a town, a promenade and restaurants in most places. Of course inland Spain might offer something very different and even the North of Spain but you can't go wrong with Valencia area and no need to really drive down further.
I like the Girona bit, I'd happily go back to L'Escala but think it's worth seeing somewhere new.

The accommodation bit seems fairly consistent like you say - I kind of just think seaside towns will offer exactly what you say - town, promenade, waterfront restaurant. But if that's a town inland a bit and it's a villa in some pretty hills, you still have a nice view.

Appreciate the input. Between Valencia and Barcelona there are a few options I think
Old Jul 13th 2021, 7:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if you ask your question on Trip Advisor you may gain more of an insight as to what would work for you as it is more geared up to give holiday advice than we are.

Rosemary
Old Jul 13th 2021, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I like the Girona bit, I'd happily go back to L'Escala but think it's worth seeing somewhere new.

The accommodation bit seems fairly consistent like you say - I kind of just think seaside towns will offer exactly what you say - town, promenade, waterfront restaurant. But if that's a town inland a bit and it's a villa in some pretty hills, you still have a nice view.

Appreciate the input. Between Valencia and Barcelona there are a few options I think
For me personally nothing really comes close to the Costa Brava and once you've been there it's like the whole of Spain in one small area. If I want higher temps during winter OK, but I always find myself going back and it's hard to beat places like Tossa, Llafranc, Begur for views and if I want beach and promenade like elsewhere that's more built up, I have Platja, Blanes, Sant Antoni de Calogne and Lloret for nightlife. One place I always enjoy is Roses.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 13th 2021 at 7:59 am.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

The alternative to driving, would be to fly to Madrid & then take the AVE (high speed train) which goes to Malaga, Valencia, Barcelona, Alicante.
See this link:
https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you're over 60 you can purchase a "tarjeta dorada" (gold card) and get reductions. You don't have to be Spanish to get it. And believe it or not, Spanish trains run on time. Not mañana!
Old Jul 13th 2021, 9:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
The alternative to driving, would be to fly to Madrid & then take the AVE (high speed train) which goes to Malaga, Valencia, Barcelona, Alicante.
See this link:
https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you're over 60 you can purchase a "tarjeta dorada" (gold card) and get reductions. You don't have to be Spanish to get it. And believe it or not, Spanish trains run on time. Not mañana!
Did think about the train actually, we did it before and was superb. Will add it as an option instead of driving, thank you.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
For me personally nothing really comes close to the Costa Brava and once you've been there it's like the whole of Spain in one small area. If I want higher temps during winter OK, but I always find myself going back and it's hard to beat places like Tossa, Llafranc, Begur for views and if I want beach and promenade like elsewhere that's more built up, I have Platja, Blanes, Sant Antoni de Calogne and Lloret for nightlife. One place I always enjoy is Roses.
Roses was always a great trip. Lloret we went a few times, Girona for big purchases for the house if I remember rightly. Lovely area, but keen to try somewhere new.

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I think that if you ask your question on Trip Advisor you may gain more of an insight as to what would work for you as it is more geared up to give holiday advice than we are.

Rosemary
Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2021, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Get a map of Spain and a dart

enjoy
Old Jul 14th 2021, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Malaga--S...ype_id%5B%5D=2
Old Jul 16th 2021, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of the Jalon valley? a little inland with in easy reach of the coast clap, Moraira ,Denia Xabia and many more Benidorm 40 minuets also Valencia and Alicante about an hour. and all the little inland villages with good restaurants .the driving is easy with not a lot of traffic except near the coast there is a tram that runs from denia to alicante which you can hope on and off for a day out.Jus a thought for you to think about .good luck.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid
there is a tram that runs from denia to alicante which you can hope on and off for a day out.Jus a thought for you to think about .good luck.
Has the work on the track finished yet?
I've not been down that way for a few weeks, it looked nowhere near ready then.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 8:25 am
Just Joined

terrygriff is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the previous post about the Denia area, lots of suitable properties in the area, 45 minutes to either Valencia or Alicante airports ( very easy to drive in and out of ), lots going on in Denia, beaches close by, plenty golf courses and a visit to Valencia is a must, great city
Old Jul 16th 2021, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

The Tram from Denia to Alicante is now a bus service from Denia to Teulada that takes an hour, then the Tram from Teulada onwards. So the works continue at a very slow pace, it seems.

https://www.tramalacant.es/page.php

Last edited by jonboy; Jul 16th 2021 at 8:25 pm. Reason: Popped in the link to Tram.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 9:08 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrygriff
...and a visit to Valencia is a must, great city
Oooh, yes. I'll second that
Old Jul 17th 2021, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Given the data coming out of Spain it seems highly likely that international travel will be restricted most likely by quarantines being compulsory. Already curfews are being enacted and some communities are petitioning for restricting movements in and out of various areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.