Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Healthcare - advice please

Wikiposts

Spanish Healthcare - advice please

Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Healthcare - advice please

How do we register for local health care? The health centre say we must go to the regional authorities and register with them, then come back and register locally. But what documents do we need?

SWMBO has her 106 letter from DWP, and her empadronamiento. Is that sufficient? (I have to wait as DWP say they may (yes may) grant me a 104, as I am still paying NI and tax in the UK. But which entitles me to exactly the same level of cover as if I were not working.) Or do we need our NIEs as well, which may be a problem in the short term, as our NIEs are with the gestor who is matriculating the car.

It is not too much of a problem, as I took out Sanitas cover for us both anyway, in case there was a hiatus.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Healthcare - advice please

You need a residencia as well - I recently registered a friend in the Orihuela INSS he showed his E121 (he is a pensioner) padron and residencia - job done, forms issued which he took to his health centre who gave him his SIPS card.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:42 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
How do we register for local health care? The health centre say we must go to the regional authorities and register with them, then come back and register locally. But what documents do we need?

SWMBO has her 106 letter from DWP, and her empadronamiento. Is that sufficient? (I have to wait as DWP say they may (yes may) grant me a 104, as I am still paying NI and tax in the UK. But which entitles me to exactly the same level of cover as if I were not working.) Or do we need our NIEs as well, which may be a problem in the short term, as our NIEs are with the gestor who is matriculating the car.

It is not too much of a problem, as I took out Sanitas cover for us both anyway, in case there was a hiatus.

Thanks in advance
As the above post you will need a residencia certificate.
You can go on her E106 as a dependant if you ask DWP for a form also.
Then you go to the local social security office, then take the forms they give you to the local clinic to sign on a doctors list.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

E106,E104 and E121 are for a specific person within a certain criteria. Not knowing your circumstances it is hard to say but as it is specifically health care you are interested in then you have to take the appropriate form to the INSS first, they will take it from there.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that JDR and Spainrico and twistedmelon.

I may be under a false impression as to requirements. We do have EHICs but I thought they only lasted 6 weeks maximum and that we would need to register with the Spanish health to get treatment. Our circumstances are - both under 60. Sharon is retired and I am still going back to the UK once a month for meetings etc, where I am paid.

We arrived mid June and the Ayuntamiento told us when they gave us the empadronamiento that they could not issue the Residencia until December (i.e. after 6 months). So if we need the Residencia, that would theoretically leave us without cover until some time in January. (Although as I said we do have Sanitas which should cover us for everything anyway, they assure me).

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and the EHIC last for 6 months?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

campolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant futurecampolife has a brilliant future

Where has the online E106 application form gone?
Can't find it anywhere now. Link from FCO does not work.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I may be under a false impression as to requirements. We do have EHICs but I thought they only lasted 6 weeks maximum and that we would need to register with the Spanish health to get treatment. Our circumstances are - both under 60. Sharon is retired and I am still going back to the UK once a month for meetings etc, where I am paid.

We arrived mid June and the Ayuntamiento told us when they gave us the empadronamiento that they could not issue the Residencia until December (i.e. after 6 months). So if we need the Residencia, that would theoretically leave us without cover until some time in January. (Although as I said we do have Sanitas which should cover us for everything anyway, they assure me).

You can apply for residencia certificate on the first day in Spain if you want and has to be done after 3 months anyway, just go to the local National police station.
In this area they have changed from queuing to an appointment system, they will give you the forms to fill in and a form to take to the bank for the payment and tell you what else you need, like pp, house papers or long term rental agreement, padron etc when you return for the appointment.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

JDR, you are a star!
Thank you.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by campolife
I think you have to phone and they check your status and send them to you if you qualify.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 4:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

JDR, you are a star!
Thank you.
No problem, but remember they do like their copies of everything, despite it all being on the computer.
It`s crazy when I had my op they used about half a tree on copies of everthing.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campolife
try here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
they will give you the forms to fill in and a form to take to the bank for the payment and tell you what else you need, like pp, house papers or long term rental agreement, padron etc when you return for the appointment.
At Torre del Mar I also found I needed a Passport photograph (as well as a photocopy)
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by lyric050203
At Torre del Mar I also found I needed a Passport photograph (as well as a photocopy)
Shouldn`t need photos, they were just for the old id card type, there is nowhere for them on the A4 now. ;-))
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Shouldn`t need photos, they were just for the old id card type, there is nowhere for them on the A4 now. ;-))
You're quite right jdr but it doesn't stop the jobsworths asking for them!

I'm surprised they aren't still trying to fingerprint you!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been using our EHICS card for over three years here. When we first came here to Galicia we went to the local doctors surgery to make enquiries about registering with them. I know that the information they gave was incorrect but they said they were not worried about the Spanish card. The only problem we would encounter was that we would not be able to specify which doctor we saw. As there is only two doctors at the surgery that did not worry us at all. We have used the hospitals/surgery on numerous occasions including appendix, meningitis, broken finger, cuts and grazes with never a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.