Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Healthcare

Spanish Healthcare

Old Mar 4th 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

L and J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Healthcare

We are moving out to Spain permanently soon, does anyone have up to date information on accessing the healthcare system after 1st April for new Spanish residents please. We have up to date NI contributions and are pre retirement age but don't intend working in Spain. Is our small private pension classed as income, what are the prescription charges and does this affect what we pay for them. Thank you.
John and Lynne
Old Mar 4th 2014, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

jogger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spanish Healthcare

Unless you get a job and pay into the system you will need private med insurance. After a year you will be able to pay into the Spanish Healthcare system I hear about 60e per month per person. We intend going in about a year or so and intend to take this path, we will be early retirees. I hope this is correct but if not I'm sure it will soon be corrected. Good luck.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 9:55 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I believe jogger is correct.
Your NI contributions are irelevant.
Your pension will be classed as income. You and your partner ought to make an annual declaration.
The prescription charge varies, not a flat rate as in most of the UK. You are charged for what you get. Reduced rate for OAPs.

I would suggest you study the information available on the Free Beer thread and find a good solicitor (Abogado) to advise you.

Last edited by missile; Mar 4th 2014 at 10:17 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L and J
We are moving out to Spain permanently soon, does anyone have up to date information on accessing the healthcare system after 1st April for new Spanish residents please. We have up to date NI contributions and are pre retirement age but don't intend working in Spain. Is our small private pension classed as income, what are the prescription charges and does this affect what we pay for them. Thank you.
John and Lynne
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Aunty Tess is an unknown quantity at this point

I was under the impression that if you have paid your contributions in the UK up until leaving for Spain, you can claim temporary reciprocal healthcare in Spain for 18 months on arrival. I believe you have to complete a form downloaded from either dwp pensions website of from govt.org. Then they send back a form which you take to your local INSS office in Spain (thats the Social Security office) and they give you another form to take to your local medical centre to get the temporary SIP card. When this card runs out after 18 months, you will need some kind of Private health insurance. You could try a company called ASSSA. www.asssa.es
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

This appeared recently - and is still uptodate I think.
Health cover in Spain

1. Working in Spain
2. Be in receipt of a Spanish state pension or benefit
3. Previously having worked in Spain and claiming or claimed unemployment benefits
4. Be in receipt of a UK state pension
5. Be in receipt of a UK Sickness Benefit
6. Work as a Posted worker to Spain
7. As an Early Retiree (depending on recent National Insurance Contributions)
8. Dependent on one of the above
9. Registered as resident in Spain before 24.04.2012
10. Joining the Convenio Especial Scheme

Interested in knowing more? Visit the Healthcare Team´s website www.healthcareinspain.eu
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

7 will soon be out of date!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes so I understand, hopefully their web site will be kept up todate to reflect the latest situation.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aunty Tess
I was under the impression that if you have paid your contributions in the UK up until leaving for Spain, you can claim temporary reciprocal healthcare in Spain for 18 months on arrival. ]
That used to be the case, but the UK has now scrapped that option.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi L & J. Myself and my OH are in exactly the same position as yourselves and are keeping an eye on the healthcare question.

I believe it's true about the S1 healthcare being withdrawn at end of March

There are a few healthcare companies out there which are affordable and I wish you luck on your future, My OH and myself are soooo looking forward to our retirement in Spain from around October (ish)
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

That's fine as long as you don't have any serious existing conditions which companies will either not accept, or make the premiums so high as to be unaffordable.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:59 am
Just Joined

merovingian is an unknown quantity at this point

Is a forces pension considered a retirement pension so I could apply for Spanish health care or would I have to take out a private scheme
Old Mar 5th 2014, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Healthcare

Originally Posted by merovingian
Is a forces pension considered a retirement pension so I could apply for Spanish health care or would I have to take out a private scheme
A Forces Pension is known as a Government Pension. The State Pension is the one which qualifies you for free healthcare on the reciprocal arrangements and to qualify you need to be in possession of a letter from DWP called S1 which you use to initiate the registration process
Old Mar 5th 2014, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I believe jogger is correct.
Your NI contributions are irelevant.
Your pension will be classed as income. You and your partner ought to make an annual declaration.
The prescription charge varies, not a flat rate as in most of the UK. You are charged for what you get. Reduced rate for OAPs.

I would suggest you study the information available on the Free Beer thread and find a good solicitor (Abogado) to advise you.
Sorry to sound a bit thick but advise about what?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:00 am
Just Joined

merovingian is an unknown quantity at this point

So reading the aforementioned info, one year private healthcare and after I can pay into the spanish system, have I understood correctly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.