Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Spanish Health Card (or maybe not ?)

A Spanish Health Card (or maybe not ?)

Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:16 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Spanish Health Card (or maybe not ?)

Originally Posted by megmet
You are entitled to a EHIC as a British citizen (even though a Spanish resident) whether you you pay into the social security system or not!
You can apply for one online, though last year when we renewed ours we had to write/call them as they had not updated the information online at that time.

You will still need travel insurance as the EHIC only covers emergency treatment.

I'm not sure that I agree with you - at least, I've been told something very different. As an early retiree (not of pensionable age) resident in Spain, I have been told that the EHIC has to be issued by the country that I reside in. However, as I am not paying into the Spanish system, I can't get one here!!

If you have any links to 'proper', knowledgeable sites that say otherwise (ie not forums or other such areas of gossip) then I would be VERY appreciative.

Thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 8:22 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm not sure that I agree with you - at least, I've been told something very different. As an early retiree (not of pensionable age) resident in Spain, I have been told that the EHIC has to be issued by the country that I reside in. However, as I am not paying into the Spanish system, I can't get one here!!

If you have any links to 'proper', knowledgeable sites that say otherwise (ie not forums or other such areas of gossip) then I would be VERY appreciative.

Thanks.
well the very first thing it says on the EHIC website https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

is

If you are a UK resident
so I reckon you're correct
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
My understanding is that to be eligible for a UK EHIC card you need to have an E121 that is issued to those of pensionable age/in receipt of a UK State Pension (there are a few exceptions to this rule)

That being the case those who have a Spanish Health Card would need a Spanish issued EHIC card (like me)
Your Spanish EHIC which replaced the old E111 is no longer issued in Spain to foreigners (an EEC ruling)....as of May 2010 as a British citizen you now have to renew it from the UK, as was widely reported in the press at the time!

The E121 is a totally different thing and is what you need to obtain the Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual, which is the card used to access medical treatment and as a pensioner obtain free prescriptions once registered with a doctor here in Spain.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
As a pensioner here myself I can assure you that you will no longer be able to obtain the EHIC from the Spanish social security, it is issued now by the DWP in the UK.
When we first moved here the card was issued by Spain, as of May 2010 the EU ruling was that in future the card would be issued by your country of birth....I am in fact sat looking at mine now, issued from the UK.

Try this link for more information.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...gulations.aspx

Hope it helps, many of the information pages for the NHS and DWP have not been brought up to date.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:50 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Your Spanish EHIC which replaced the old E111 is no longer issued in Spain to foreigners (an EEC ruling)....as of May 2010 as a British citizen you now have to renew it from the UK, as was widely reported in the press at the time!

The E121 is a totally different thing and is what you need to obtain the Tarjeta Sanitaria Individual, which is the card used to access medical treatment and as a pensioner obtain free prescriptions once registered with a doctor here in Spain.
I think that you misunderstand me ? and yes I know that the EHIC card is nothing to do with the E121.

Again my understanding is this from reading many threads/posts.

Should you be eligible for an E121 ?, in that case the UK are obliged to issue a EHIC card.
Should you be working in Spain and paying into the Spanish SS ?, the EHIC card will be issued by Spain.
Should you be living in Spain and not paying into the system ?, then no one will issue a EHIC card.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 7:00 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Should you be eligible for an E121 ?, in that case the UK are obliged to issue a EHIC card.
Should you be working in Spain and paying into the Spanish SS ?, the EHIC card will be issued by Spain.
Should you be living in Spain and not paying into the system ?, then no one will issue a EHIC card.
Yes that is my understanding.

The early retiree residing in Spain without a job falls between the cracks and has no health cover in Spain or the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

As a pensioner here myself I can assure you that you will no longer be able to obtain the EHIC from the Spanish social security, it is issued now by the DWP in the UK.
When we first moved here the card was issued by Spain, as of May 2010 the EU ruling was that in future the card would be issued by your country of birth....I am in fact sat looking at mine now, issued from the UK.

Try this link for more information.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...gulations.aspx

Hope it helps, many of the information pages for the NHS and DWP have not been brought up to date.
I think we are not now disagreeing. However, there is a big difference between pensioners and non-pensioners - you need to be clear in your posts on that distinction!

As a non-working, non-pensioner, and as Fred says, I fall between the cracks and can not get an EHIC card anywhere!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:01 am
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

I think we are not now disagreeing. However, there is a big difference between pensioners and non-pensioners - you need to be clear in your posts on that distinction!

As a non-working, non-pensioner, and as Fred says, I fall between the cracks and can not get an EHIC card anywhere!
There is just another situation to put in there.

When I came to Spain (under retirement age) I was on long term invalidity benefit. DWP (DHSS as it was then ) sent me an E121 and I was immediately included in the Spanish health system. I am guessing but I assume that may still apply.

Also, when my wife, a non European, can to Spain. The DWP sent an E121 but the Spanish health authority would not allow her to be included until she had her Residencia. So it was Sanitas cover for about 8 months.

Last edited by JulianWard; Mar 27th 2011 at 9:04 am.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you misunderstand me ? and yes I know that the EHIC card is nothing to do with the E121.

Again my understanding is this from reading many threads/posts.

Exactly the point I was making. As I am not a pensioner, nor a dependent of one, I am not currently entitled to an EHIC card from either country.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I found this about ex-pat health care:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ex...alth-care.html
Old Mar 27th 2011, 8:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We have SIP cards issued in Valencia as I worked there & indeed live there.
Moved on a temporary basis to Mijas in Andalucia to look for work & visited the local salud where they looked quizzically at our strange health cards (to them)
You want to see the nurse to have your blood pressure taken ?, in that case you need to see the doctor first. (fill out this form)
OK but it is really not necessary etc etc etc ................ OK we will see the doctor.
Hello doctor (4 days later) we are here because etc etc, and we have bought these prescription with us to tied us over until we return to Valencia.
No good here mate, really?, yes I will issue you with new Andalusian ones & I am your doctor for your time here.

A call this morning from the Central Salud informed me that our cards are no good here, no good ?, yes I'm afraid so but do you have a European Health card ?. No we do not as we are still in Spain ! ................ ?????

BTW if a resident from Andalucia, in possession of a valid health card, wishes to visit Valencia for a spell would their card be acceptable there ........ ?? No.

In that case its just as well that I am now working here & legally so you can issue me with another health card then.

Can this story be true ?
You can get free blood pressure tests in any chemists, any emergency will be treated immediately in the national hospitals a and e unit.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:27 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know, but thanks for the info.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 6:06 am
Just Joined

divv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
My private health insurance here does provide a limited amount of cover when outside Spain anyway, but I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were to visit the USA!
May I ask who your private cover is with?
Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Prevision Medica, but I believe they only operate in certain areas of Andalucia so may not be available to you depending on where you live. We are currently paying 92€ per month to cover the two of us.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:24 am
Just Joined

divv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I am with Prevision Medica, but I believe they only operate in certain areas of Andalucia so may not be available to you depending on where you live. We are currently paying 92€ per month to cover the two of us.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.