Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Freeview

Spanish Freeview

Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Freeview

Anybody noticed they are showing more Spanish only versions of programs.Energy has virtually stop using VO's.Great marketing ploy
Old Apr 16th 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Spanish Freeview

i download or stream all my shows so i dont ever watch spanish tv... the long commercial breaks that make you forget what your watching was too much for me and some channels i noticed i couldnt change to original language
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveinspain
Anybody noticed they are showing more Spanish only versions of programs.Energy has virtually stop using VO's.Great marketing ploy
No can't say I've noticed

We only have the free Spanish digitial channels and watch the English language programmes in V.O. Always works for us (except for series made more than 10 years or so ago)
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:10 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
i download or stream all my shows so i dont ever watch spanish tv... the long commercial breaks that make you forget what your watching was too much for me and some channels i noticed i couldnt change to original language
The worst bit about that is when you are watching a film that is near the end and they put on loads of ads and then show the last 5 minutes of the film.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:47 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find the minutes of adverts per hour allowed for all EU brodcasters are pretty much the same, as these are governed by the suits in brussels..i think it is about 10-12min per hour in peak times - not inlcuding self promotion.
Its just that different broadcasters show these adverts how they want to...eg most UK channels show them in 4 batches per hour.

Also note that The Paramount channels started up recently on TDT - showoing many US series and movies...
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
I think you will find the minutes of adverts per hour allowed for all EU brodcasters are pretty much the same, as these are governed by the suits in brussels..i think it is about 10-12min per hour in peak times - not inlcuding self promotion.
Its just that different broadcasters show these adverts how they want to...eg most UK channels show them in 4 batches per hour.

Also note that The Paramount channels started up recently on TDT - showoing many US series and movies...
The advert breaks on Spanish TV have been much better over the past few years. Most the channels tell you how long the break will be, with the maximum being 6 minutes

And of course, the TVE channels dont have advert breaks
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd only noticed Energy because they show a lot of Top Gear and over the last couple of weeks they have reverted exclusively to the dubbed/commentary versions.Don't get the Spanish thing of dubbing everything I'd much rather watch a foreign film in it's VO and have subs.Lots of Spanish kids will never have heard their "Hollywood Hero's" real voices.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd only noticed Energy because they show a lot of Top Gear and over the last couple of weeks they have reverted exclusively to the dubbed/commentary versions.Don't get the Spanish thing of dubbing everything I'd much rather watch a foreign film in it's VO and have subs.Lots of Spanish kids will never have heard their "Hollywood Hero's" real voices.
I've no idea what "Energy" is

Top Gear is on La Sexta every day, and you can choose to watch in VO

As for dubbing, I once bought my parents a French film and they never watched it because they "cant be bothered to read subtitles". Every wondered why there are no non-English speaking programmes on UK TV?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Cuatro shows Top Gear

have to agree about the dubbing- you do get used to it though

I do jhowever hate it when a programme has been dubbed but you can still just about hear the English - drives me mad!!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:52 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've no idea what "Energy" is
Its a channel available on TDT.

As channels come and go, its often useful to do a scan every so often.

For channels that you should be able to receive go to www.tdt1.com and go to your area, then select the transmitter you use, it then list the channels on that transmitter.

Originally Posted by cricketman
Every wondered why there are no non-English speaking programmes on UK TV?
BBC 4 has a fair number of foreign programmes with english subs - The Killing / Forbrydelsen, Salvo Montalbano, Borgen, and Spiral have been very well received and popular.

S4C the welsh language channel....

TG is on Discovery Channel, Cuatro and Energy in Spain

And as for dubbing - saw Thelma and Louise on Polish TV the other day... all voices were dubbed.....by the same MAN!!!

Last edited by The Guy; Apr 16th 2012 at 2:56 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Its a channel available on TDT.

As channels come and go, its often useful to do a scan every so often.

For channels that you should be able to receive go to www.tdt1.com and go to your area, then select the transmitter you use, it then list the channels on that transmitter.

BBC 4 has a fair number of foreign programmes with english subs - The Killing / Forbrydelsen, Salvo Montalbano, Borgen, and Spiral have been very well received and popular.

S4C the welsh language channel....

TG is on Discovery Channel, Cuatro and Energy in Spain

And as for dubbing - saw Thelma and Louise on Polish TV the other day... all voices were dubbed.....by the same MAN!!!
You'll be the man to ask this....how is TDT broadcast I lose certain channels at differing times of day as though it was sat.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:42 pm

You may find that the channels you lose are all on the same frequencies.
And remember that some local channels do not broadcast 24/7.

Your loss of channels during the day can be down to a number of things including:
poor quality aerial - or its polarisation is incorrect (it its "wing elements" need to be top and bottom - not left and right.)
poor aerial alignment
poor cabling
lack of amplifer
local interference

And where you are (in Pla according to your profile) can be tricky to get a decent signal for all frequencies. You have two transmitters (xativa and Mondouber) that you can get signals from, but as most of Pla has no clear line of sight to these due to trees and mountains, a perfect TDT signal may not be possible for all frequencies.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:45 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

most of mine have the original (usually American but English on Top Gear) selected by an optional alternative voice channel on the TDT box

seems you can do that easier with digital than with the old terrestial

John Wayne and Victor McLaglen riding horses and talking in cultured Spanish is a complete turnoff IMHO

Last edited by Domino; Apr 16th 2012 at 4:48 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

You may find that the channels you lose are all on the same frequencies.
And remember that some local channels do not broadcast 24/7.

Your loss of channels during the day can be down to a number of things including:
poor quality aerial - or its polarisation is incorrect (it its "wing elements" need to be top and bottom - not left and right.)
poor aerial alignment
poor cabling
lack of amplifer
local interference

And where you are (in Pla according to your profile) can be tricky to get a decent signal for all frequencies. You have two transmitters (xativa and Mondouber) that you can get signals from, but as most of Pla has no clear line of sight to these due to trees and mountains, a perfect TDT signal may not be possible for all frequencies.
I'm in Gandia at the moment and the community had a new system fitted last year.The channels I lose are crystal clear at some times of the day and pixilate and lose signal at other times.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:43 pm

I'm in Gandia at the moment and the community had a new system fitted last year.The channels I lose are crystal clear at some times of the day and pixilate and lose signal at other times.
Check with neighbours to see if they have the same problems.
That will determine if it is a community system problem, or your own cabling.

If your neighbours are having the same problem, get the administrator to get the installers back in to fix the problem...

In some cases removing splitters from your own cable system may help - why have a feed to a room that does not have a TV?

Make sure the cable from the TV point on the wall to the tdt box is good - there is some cheap cable around (crappyfour and chinese shops speciaise in this!!) that is very thin and does not help with signals much. I have seen many people use this thin cable and having changing to better quality thicker cable and all channels are received OK.

Also, if you can try another receiver - some are very poor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.