Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish EHIC (Early Retirees)

Spanish EHIC (Early Retirees)

Old Apr 19th 2013, 1:55 pm

CS101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish EHIC (Early Retirees)

Hi guys

Just need to ask a quick question to those in the know on behalf of my parents so if anyone could advise that would be amazing! I did do a wee dig around previous threads but didn't find anything specific on this particular scenario

The situation is that they are in the process of trying to obtain their Spanish EHICS. They are early retirees & are not yet drawing their UK state pensions, BUT have been living & (tax) resident in Spain well before the new residence rules came into force in April last year so did not need to provide evidence of private health insurance or anything like that (they had already had their residencias for many years). For this reason, they are all registered with the health centre at the local municipality (Pedreguer in Alicante province) & both have their sip cards for accessing healthcare on the state system, even though they are not actively paying social security contributions.

However, when they have tried to obtain there Spanish EHIC cards from the correct social security office in our local area (they have a visit to the UK coming up), they have been advised that they can only obtain an A4 certificate that is valid for 90 days from the day of issue, and & that they will have go through the same procedure each time they want to travel abroad.

Although having to do this every time wouldn't be the end of the world, it would be a bit of a pain. Can anyone shed any light on why they are not entitled to the 2 year EHIC cards just like any other Spanish citizen, or if they are, how to go about obtaining them?

As I said earlier, they have been here completely legally since well before the rules for new residency applications came into force last April and are absoulutely fine for Spanish healthcare, so surely they should be able to obtain the 2 year cards?

Thaks so much! Looking forward to your replies
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:11 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish EHIC (Early Retirees)

Originally Posted by CS101
Hi guys

Just need to ask a quick question to those in the know on behalf of my parents so if anyone could advise that would be amazing! I did do a wee dig around previous threads but didn't find anything specific on this particular scenario

The situation is that they are in the process of trying to obtain their Spanish EHICS. They are early retirees & are not yet drawing their UK state pensions, BUT have been living & (tax) resident in Spain well before the new residence rules came into force in April last year so did not need to provide evidence of private health insurance or anything like that (they had already had their residencias for many years). For this reason, they are all registered with the health centre at the local municipality (Pedreguer in Alicante province) & both have their sip cards for accessing healthcare on the state system, even though they are not actively paying social security contributions.

However, when they have tried to obtain there Spanish EHIC cards from the correct social security office in our local area (they have a visit to the UK coming up), they have been advised that they can only obtain an A4 certificate that is valid for 90 days from the day of issue, and & that they will have go through the same procedure each time they want to travel abroad.

Although having to do this every time wouldn't be the end of the world, it would be a bit of a pain. Can anyone shed any light on why they are not entitled to the 2 year EHIC cards just like any other Spanish citizen, or if they are, how to go about obtaining them?

As I said earlier, they have been here completely legally since well before the rules for new residency applications came into force last April and are absoulutely fine for Spanish healthcare, so surely they should be able to obtain the 2 year cards?

perhaps the problem is caused by them not having paid into the Spanish medical system ??
sounds like they want the UK to pick up the bill
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If they have their SIP cards on the basis of 'sin recurso' (and this is how many early retirees have done it), then 90 day, temporary TSE's are the only thing they can get.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:20 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

tbh I'm surprised that their SIP cards haven't been cancelled & needed to be reactivated under the new rules - & they still might be

how long have they lived here? Did they get their SIPs a very long time ago under the 'anyone & everyone in Valencia gets free healthcare' which was cancelled a few years ago?

I suspect Domino might be correct though

also - iirc Spanish TSEs (what they call EHICs here) are only valid for a year - though I might be wrong
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:24 pm

Hi Domino, thanx for the reply

I guess that could be the problem, but there has been a lot of confusion regarding EHICS/healthcare with regards to new applications for residency (after April 2012). They have been resident here since way before then so I was just wondering what their status was in regards to that.

With regards to the whole 'health tourism' thing, obviously they don't envisage there being any problems when they go the the UK, and bear in mind that both of them did pay into the UK social security systems for well over 35 years each. I can't see any reason why they don't fall under the 'reciprocal' agreement and are issued with 2 year EHICS. I have never heard of non contributions to the Spanish social security systems being a requisite for the 2 year card.

What I am saying is that they haven't needed to contribute to Spanish SS to access healthcare so why should they need to do so to access the 2 year EHIC? Or if they have been given incorrect information, how would they go about accessing them?

Thanks so much again!

(ps: Don't really want to get into a moral debate about the rights and wrongs of this, just trying to clarify the situation for my folks! Cheers
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

TSEs are valid for 2 years and are available to all persons who have their health cover paid for by the Spanish INSS.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Domino, thanx for the reply

I guess that could be the problem, but there has been a lot of confusion regarding EHICS/healthcare with regards to new applications for residency (after April 2012). They have been resident here since way before then so I was just wondering what their status was in regards to that.

With regards to the whole 'health tourism' thing, obviously they don't envisage there being any problems when they go the the UK, and bear in mind that both of them did pay into the UK social security systems for well over 35 years each. I can't see any reason why they don't fall under the 'reciprocal' agreement and are issued with 2 year EHICS. I have never heard of non contributions to the Spanish social security systems being a requisite for the 2 year card.

What I am saying is that they haven't needed to contribute to Spanish SS to access healthcare so why should they need to do so to access the 2 year EHIC? Or if they have been given incorrect information, how would they go about accessing them?

Thanks so much again!

(ps: Don't really want to get into a moral debate about the rights and wrongs of this, just trying to clarify the situation for my folks! Cheers
it could actually be a problem in the UK if they don't have TSEs - it's entirely possible that once it's known that they are residents in Spain they will have to pay for any treatment

trust me - I know for a fact that this can happen - I was presented with a bill for 10,500 GBP when my late husband was given emergency treatment in the UK

long, complicated story about him not having a TSE - but luckily he had private insurance which picked up the bill for me!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:35 pm

Hi Lynnxa,

Interesting point you raise and thanx for your reply.

Just to clarify, their residencies were issued quite a while ago (way before April 2012 & the royal decree) so there was no need to prove health insurance at that stage (as I said, they are early retirees).

They actualy obtained their SIP cards very recently however (early on this year, actually). This was on the basis that they were resident years before these new rules regarding social securtiy contributions annd/or private health insurance came into force. They simply took all the documentaion they could think of (NIEs, SS numbers, Empadrons, Sumas, etc) to the local health centre in the municipality & were issued with their SIP cards.

Apparently, thos rules aren't applied retrospectively, only for people who are making new residency applications.

On this basis, I think they should be getting the 1 year card (I thought it was 2, sorry!)

I know authorities are trying to tighten up but on this kind of scenario, but apparently the date when they accessed their residencia meant that there were no issues, even though they are early retirees without private healthcare.

Just surprised when we ran into problems accessing the EHIC. If anyone could advise further that would be great!!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:43 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Hi Lynnxa,

Interesting point you raise and thanx for your reply.

Just to clarify, their residencies were issued quite a while ago (way before April 2012 & the royal decree) so there was no need to prove health insurance at that stage (as I said, they are early retirees).

They actualy obtained their SIP cards very recently however (early on this year, actually). This was on the basis that they were resident years before these new rules regarding social securtiy contributions annd/or private health insurance came into force. They simply took all the documentaion they could think of (NIEs, SS numbers, Empadrons, Sumas, etc) to the local health centre in the municipality & were issued with their SIP cards.

Apparently, thos rules aren't applied retrospectively, only for people who are making new residency applications.

On this basis, I think they should be getting the 1 year card (I thought it was 2, sorry!)

I know authorities are trying to tighten up but on this kind of scenario, but apparently the date when they accessed their residencia meant that there were no issues, even though they are early retirees without private healthcare.

Just surprised when we ran into problems accessing the EHIC. If anyone could advise further that would be great!!
ahhh - it seems that snikpoh would be right - if they only just got their SIPs then it would almost certainly be under the 'sin recursos' rule, and so would only get the 90 day papers

do they actually have the proper plastic 'credit card' SIPS, or do they still have temp plasticised cards?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa
ahhh - it seems that snikpoh would be right - if they only just got their SIPs then it would almost certainly be under the 'sin recursos' rule, and so would only get the 90 day papers

do they actually have the proper plastic 'credit card' SIPS, or do they still have temp plasticised cards?
Hi again!

Ok, it does look like it is the plasticised cards you mentioned How would I know the difference?

They did get their most recent SIPS recently even though they have been resident since when back when. Does this solve the mystery?

And can canyone kindly explain what 'sin recursos' refers to?

Thanks so much again!!

Craig
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:00 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If they have their SIP cards on the basis of 'sin recurso' (and this is how many early retirees have done it), then 90 day, temporary TSE's are the only thing they can get.
This.

This is the only way I know of of getting healthcare as a non-socseg paying early retiree. You have to get a new paper each time you go abroad. Also I think I'm right in saying that the healthcare provision is only within the autonomous region that issued the card - not the whole of Spain.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:01 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again!

Ok, it does look like it is the plasticised cards you mentioned How would I know the difference?

They did get their most recent SIPS recently even though they have been resident since when back when. Does this solve the mystery?

And can canyone kindly explain what 'sin recursos' refers to?

Thanks so much again!!

Craig
Sin recursos translates to 'without means'.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato
This.

This is the only way I know of of getting healthcare as a non-socseg paying early retiree. You have to get a new paper each time you go abroad. Also I think I'm right in saying that the healthcare provision is only within the autonomous region that issued the card - not the whole of Spain.
Cheers!

Am I right in saying that my parents have been issued with this 'sin recurso' SIP because their residencias and everything else was in place and in order before April 2012 and the new rules?

So what does 'sin recurso' mean in a practical sense? And at what stage would they be able to get a normal plastic SIP and therefore the 1 year EHIC?

Thanks so much again guys! Massive help!!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!

Am I right in saying that my parents have been issued with this 'sin recurso' SIP because their residencias and everything else was in place and in order before April 2012 and the new rules?

So what does 'sin recurso' mean in a practical sense? And at what stage would they be able to get a normal plastic SIP and therefore the 1 year EHIC?

Not sure where the EHIC comes into this, if they are UK citizens surely then they MUST get their EHIC cards from the UK unless they are Spanish citizens, not just residents. EHIC cards only cover you for urgent treatment when visiting another country than the one you are a citizen of, so it would cover them for visits to the UK, but NOT in Spain.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:11 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!

What 'sin recursos' really alludes to is not having sufficient income. That is, they are not working, not pensions and have income that falls below some limit.

Within the Valencia province, the authorities will use the 'sin recursos' route rather than using the royal decree. At the moment, Valencia is not recognizing the royal decree (I know because I had it confirmed by the consulate). So, providing one was here before April last year, were legally here (residencia, tax returns etc.) then the only possible routes for getting State health care are 'sin recurso' and using the Royal decree. Given that Valencia don't honour the latter, the only option is as stated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.