Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish driving license

Spanish driving license

Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:33 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish driving license

Yes, another one of those threads. I went to get the paperwork to change my license over to a Spanish version and was told I needed my D740. I haven't seen that form since I was in the UK. As I don't have a UK addy I'm guessing they're not going to post me one. If I don't have that form I can't exchange my license.
Ideas anyone?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish driving license

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Yes, another one of those threads. I went to get the paperwork to change my license over to a Spanish version and was told I needed my D740. I haven't seen that form since I was in the UK. As I don't have a UK addy I'm guessing they're not going to post me one. If I don't have that form I can't exchange my license.
Ideas anyone?
I think that all I needed was my passport and my UK plastic driving licence.

Rosemary
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzy kindly did this for us so I hope that this might help you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...thread-786975/

Rosemary
Old Aug 11th 2014, 1:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I know that they can check with UK, but don't they need the D740 to see what points etc. you might have?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 1:10 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I think that all I needed was my passport and my UK plastic driving licence.

Rosemary
I was thinking the same, plus my NIE

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Mitzy kindly did this for us so I hope that this might help you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...thread-786975/

Rosemary
Nope, nada about that paper form.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I know that they can check with UK, but don't they need the D740 to see what points etc. you might have?
I'm guessing that's why also.

So, WTH do I do?.....the guy I spoke to this morning was about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I was never asked for the paper bit.

However, since you are obliged to produce your UK license a snotty disfunctionario could be forgiven for insisting that you produce it as it is a part of your licence.

I can't see why they should be interested in UK points as, so far, they are not relevant in Spain.

Try again another day.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:36 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I was never asked for the paper bit.

However, since you are obliged to produce your UK license a snotty disfunctionario could be forgiven for insisting that you produce it as it is a part of your licence.

I can't see why they should be interested in UK points as, so far, they are not relevant in Spain.

Try again another day.
Really, so I could have my full compliment of points in UK (but not handed in) yet get them all wiped here?

And then, theoretically, change it back to a UK one with no points on it!!??
Old Aug 11th 2014, 5:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, as I said, UK points mean nothing in Spain.

If you apply for a Spanish licence it is not a question of them being "wiped" - it's just that they are not transferable - if only because we have points given to us in Spain and then we lose them. In the UK you start with none and then they add them.

If you changed over to a Spanish licence and then changed back, the UK points would still be on your UK licence if they had not expired during the time you were in Spain.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:45 pm
Yaaarp

No, as I said, UK points mean nothing in Spain.

If you apply for a Spanish licence it is not a question of them being "wiped" - it's just that they are not transferable - if only because we have points given to us in Spain and then we lose them. In the UK you start with none and then they add them.

If you changed over to a Spanish licence and then changed back, the UK points would still be on your UK licence if they had not expired during the time you were in Spain.
Yes, anyone else had fun with an insurance company trying to explain that it's a GOOD thing that you have no points and not a bad thing?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

A driving licence is only valid as two parts, the photocard and paper counterpart. Both parts contain important information, including your personal details, vehicles you are entitled to drive (provisional and full) and any endorsements you may have.

Only the counterpart would show if you were banned in the UK.

It is not only the Spanish police who require this. You are required produce the counterpart when hiring a car, or if you make a claim on your insurance.

If you cannot produce a valid D740, one option for you would be to sit the Spanish driving test.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by missile
Surely, if you were banned, you wouldn't have a licence to exchange?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

My husband followed Mitzy's guide point by point and it worked a dream!
Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Surely, if you were banned, you wouldn't have a licence to exchange?
Exactly, one would not be entitled to an exchange.

Some less scrupulous than you, might claim they lost their license and get a duplicate before going to court for an offence where they were liable to loose their license.

Last edited by missile; Aug 12th 2014 at 11:29 am.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 12:18 am
Yaaarp

Originally Posted by missile
A driving licence is only valid as two parts, the photocard and paper counterpart. Both parts contain important information, including your personal details, vehicles you are entitled to drive (provisional and full) and any endorsements you may have.

It is not only the Spanish police who require this. You are required produce the counterpart when hiring a car, or if you make a claim on your insurance.

If you cannot produce a valid D740, one option for you would be to sit the Spanish driving test.
I couldn't do that, I know how to use a roundabout and am an excellent parker....I'd be burned at the steak for witchcraft!
Old Aug 13th 2014, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I couldn't do that, I know how to use a roundabout and am an excellent parker....I'd be burned at the steak for witchcraft!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.