Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Driving Licence

Spanish Driving Licence

Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:59 am
Just Joined

bradliano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Driving Licence

Hi guys, I'm thinking of changing my UK licence for a Spanish one before Brexit, however, it appears I have to hand in (give up) my UK driving licence in the process. Does anyone know any way around this?
Old Sep 24th 2018, 10:09 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Driving Licence

Originally Posted by bradliano
Hi guys, I'm thinking of changing my UK licence for a Spanish one before Brexit, however, it appears I have to hand in (give up) my UK driving licence in the process. Does anyone know any way around this?
There is none for obvious reasons.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by VFR
There is none for obvious reasons.
Yeah that's what I feared. Oh well, Spanish licence it is then! I guess an EU licence will be more useful than a non-EU one

Thanks
Old Sep 24th 2018, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best to get an assessor to do this for you as you will need to visit trafico at minimum twice. You will also need to get tested at psicotechnico. Bit of a hassle if you live far from the main office. Cost overall between 90 to 120 Euros. Takes a couple of months
Old Sep 24th 2018, 10:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
Probably best to get an assessor to do this for you as you will need to visit trafico at minimum twice. You will also need to get tested at psicotechnico. Bit of a hassle if you live far from the main office. Cost overall between 90 to 120 Euros. Takes a couple of months

You should NOT need that just for an exchange. A renewal is different.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

To exchange a UK licence for spanish one you need to do a test for eyesight and coordination. You actually need to do this even if you intend to use your UK licence for the 2 year period after residency.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

SimonJ22 is an unknown quantity at this point

To exchange a UK licence for spanish one you need to do a test for eyesight and coordination. You actually need to do this even if you intend to use your UK licence for the 2 year period after residency.
Not always, my wife just did paperwork, no medical or eye test.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I'm aware, only if you are over 70years of age. I exchanged mine with no problem; took about 14 days for the Spanish one to arrive. They meanwhile give you a temporary one in case you get stopped. Cost €25, about 5 years ago.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SimonJ22
Not always, my wife just did paperwork, no medical or eye test.
Spoke to someone at the traffic office this morning, they told me that as things stand now I wouldn't need to do the psicotecnico test just to switch over only in the future when I renew my licence as per any spanish licence. However, she did say that after Brexit with a UK licence being non-EU I would then have to do the psicotecnico in order to do the canje.

Thanks for the help guys much appreciated :0
Old Sep 24th 2018, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Well that's funny I went to Alicante ad got sent home because they said I needed it and it was clearly stated on the website. Cost me 45 Euros!!. Then back again where I was asked for it by different funcinario. Seems I should make a denuncia
Old Sep 24th 2018, 1:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is NO requirement for a medical on exchange of a valid EU licence.

https://sede.dgt.gob.es/Galerias/tra...Noruega_EN.pdf

The assumption is that if you hold a valid licence you must have had a medical when you got it. Of course, no one told them that in the UK everyone is so fit with perfect eyesight, that they don't need medicals - ever!!

That said, as usual with any official process in Spain, the local office makes up the rules as they go along, so, yes, they MIGHT require a medical and it is pointless to argue with them.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 2:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

What 2-year period?

You can keep your UK d/l until it expires (if it is valid in Spain)
Old Sep 24th 2018, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Well I was stopped by the GC a year ago and showed my residencia card and UK licence and the officer told me if I had been a resident for over 2 years I needed a Spanish licence. He was quite insistent.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 4:28 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
The process is not difficult and depending on the Trafico concerned, can take three weeks. Normally around the trafico office are a number of companies that rely on Trafico for their trade. In my experience there are several medical companies that do medicals on the spot, take a photo and transmit it all to trafico. It is also possible that there is a private local medical company that can do the same.

Davexf
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:07 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was stopped by the GC a year ago and showed my residencia card and UK licence and the officer told me if I had been a resident for over 2 years I needed a Spanish licence. He was quite insistent.
He was wrong as usual! It does not apply to UK licences.

BUT he will win the argument so just exchange it. Any legal Spanish resident who just relies on using a UK licence is an idiot, and will be an even bigger idiot after a no deal Brexit.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 24th 2018 at 8:11 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.