Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Driving Licence

Spanish Driving Licence

Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:33 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Driving Licence

This is by way of a change from the good old chestnut of whether to have LHD or RHD and whether to be legal or illegal.

UK driving licence, EU driving licence or change to a Spanish driving licence?

Due to reading loads of different things we made the decision to change our EU licences to Spanish licences because a) all of the police KNOW what a Spanish licence looks like. b) we live in Spain so a Spanish licence seems sensible. c) another ticky box completed.

Very painless process which involved a small medical and a driving test which in all cost us 90 euros each. Medical and driving test cost 35 euros each and the Gestor charged us 55 euros each as he was also our translator to ensure that we did not make any mistakes.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:38 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Driving Licence

Originally Posted by The Oddities
This is by way of a change from the good old chestnut of whether to have LHD or RHD and whether to be legal or illegal.

UK driving licence, EU driving licence or change to a Spanish driving licence?

Due to reading loads of different things we made the decision to change our EU licences to Spanish licences because a) all of the police KNOW what a Spanish licence looks like. b) we live in Spain so a Spanish licence seems sensible. c) another ticky box completed.

Very painless process which involved a small medical and a driving test which in all cost us 90 euros each. Medical and driving test cost 35 euros each and the Gestor charged us 55 euros each as he was also our translator to ensure that we did not make any mistakes.

Rosemary
Why did you have to do a medical and a driving test?

I switched my UK licence (is that the same as an EU licence?) to Spanish and all I had to do was fill in a form. The total cost I forget, but it was no more than about 16 euros.

That was about 5 years ago so I got a crappy paper Spanish licence. They have since switched over to nice plastic ones (so presumably they are EU licences??). When I get round to it I am going to switch the paper one for a plastic one.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters

I switched my UK licence (is that the same as an EU licence?) to Spanish and all I had to do was fill in a form. The total cost I forget, but it was no more than about 16 euros.

That was about 5 years ago so I got a crappy paper Spanish licence. They have since switched over to nice plastic ones (so presumably they are EU licences??). When I get round to it I am going to switch the paper one for a plastic one.
Possibly the rules have changed in the last 5 years - no idea personally.

Medical was an miniscule eye test, check for colour blindness and BP check and the driving test was a computer programme to check reflexes and co-ordination.

OH was told that he has the BP of a young man so guess who is his new best friend.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:46 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly the rules have changed in the last 5 years - no idea personally.

Rosemary
Could it be something to do with the licence that you submitted? Mine was the UK plastic version with the EU flag in one corner.

Was yours like this or was it the old UK paper ones?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:48 pm

Could it be something to do with the licence that you submitted? Mine was the UK plastic version with the EU flag in one corner.

Was yours like this or was it the old UK paper ones?
Plastic EU one with photo etc.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:51 pm

According to 'Living and Working in Spain' by David Hampshire Printed 2003
"licence holders must also undergo the same medical exams and eye tests as holders of Spanish licences".

So we were not at all surprised when that is what was arranged for us.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:58 pm
has got a huge member

According to 'Living and Working in Spain' by David Hampshire Printed 2003
"licence holders must also undergo the same medical exams and eye tests as holders of Spanish licences".

So we were not at all surprised when that is what was arranged for us.

Rosemary
I can´t explain that one then. I just turned up at the traffico without an appointment and filled in a form. I had to go back a couple of weeks later to pick up my new licence and pay the 16 or so euros.

So why didn´t I do a medical or driving test?????? This was in 2003.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:59 pm

I can´t explain that one then. I just turned up at the traffico without an appointment and filled in a form. I had to go back a couple of weeks later to pick up my new licence and pay the 16 or so euros.

Maybe the secret is the fact that it was 5 years ago and things have changed since then.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:23 pm
has got a huge member

Maybe the secret is the fact that it was 5 years ago and things have changed since then.

Rosemary
But the book you quoted was printed in 2003, same year that I changed my licence. November if I remember correctly.

Unless the book got it wrong??
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Because you dont have to have a medical when you exchange your licence.

I exchanged mine 7 years ago.

When it comes up for renewal, then you have to have the medical - which can include a coordination test on a computer.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 14th 2007 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:41 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by Fred James
Because you dont have to have a medical when you exchange your licence.

I exchanged mine 7 years ago.

When it comes up for renewal, then you have to have the medical - which can include a coordination test on a computer.
Ah, so that explains my scenario. In that case, why did Rosemary have to do the medical and driving test when she exchanged her licence?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, dread to ask Fred but thats for sure is it. I only ask as I was told that a UK licence was subject to Spanish medical tests throughout, although I can't remember where. However I've never met anyone whos taken one so it was always a bit of a mystery.

Another point. If I change my licence for a Spanish one and, say, go back to the UK when I'm in my 70's .... would I be able to change my licence for a UK one easily or would I find because of my age that I would be licenceless or subject to a test or anything like that.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

Do you have to hand in your UK licence or can you keep hold off it as well as have a Spanish licence?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:08 pm
has got a huge member

Originally Posted by sunnydee
Do you have to hand in your UK licence or can you keep hold off it as well as have a Spanish licence?
No, you have to hand it in.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
OK, dread to ask Fred but thats for sure is it. I only ask as I was told that a UK licence was subject to Spanish medical tests throughout, although I can't remember where. However I've never met anyone whos taken one so it was always a bit of a mystery.

Another point. If I change my licence for a Spanish one and, say, go back to the UK when I'm in my 70's .... would I be able to change my licence for a UK one easily or would I find because of my age that I would be licenceless or subject to a test or anything like that.
Yes, that's for sure - you only need to look on the Trafico website to see what the requirements are to exchange your licence.

The point you raise about your UK licence being subject to Spanish medical tests only applies when you choose not to exchange or register your UK licence. The law says that you are entitled to keep your UK licence but that you must conform to any "local" rules about medical requirments. This means that you will have to have a medical at the same frequency as a Spaniard would have to.

It is a very grey area and it is not clear how this would be policed. Suffice it to say that it is yet another reason to just exchange your licence as soon as you become resident.

As for going back to the UK, you will be able to exchange your Spanish licence for a UK licence with no problems. If you are over 70 at the time then you would have to conform to any UK medical rules that might apply - but as I understand it, they are far less stringent than the Spanish rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.