Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish companies still expanding in UK

Spanish companies still expanding in UK

Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:53 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish companies still expanding in UK

Falling high street rentals and the low value of the pound are making Britain increasingly attractive to Spanish retailers, who are suffering a tough time in their home market, with consumer spending in freefall. Zara, Massimo Dutti, Desigual and Mango all have plans to expand this year in the UK.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle7000769.ece

I like the last bit of the article:

Even the Café y Te (Coffee and Tea) chain plans to open three branches in London. If it does, then the Spanish will be selling tea to the British.
Surely it hasn't come to that!!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish companies still expanding in UK

Funny, someone in the UK mentioned to me over christmas that Zara was in trouble and branches were closing.

All of these chains must have seen their profits severely dented by the weak pound, surely? And it's not as easy as just bumping up the GBP price - they're already relatively significantly more expensive there than here.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if they are moving resources to open up or buy new businesses in the UK, now is the time to do it.
The exchange rate is in their favour to buy, and the UK is believed to be just about to move out of recession.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:36 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Surely if they are moving resources to open up or buy new businesses in the UK, now is the time to do it.
The exchange rate is in their favour to buy, and the UK is believed to be just about to move out of recession.
The retail sector in the UK wasn't so badly hit by the recession as feared, because of the exchange rate. London particularly has benefited from tourists arriving to take advantage of the weak pound.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
According to the experts, it's been out of recession for a while but needed the figures to prove it. I seem to remember a thread here where someone told me UK would be the last out of recession, and I threatened to show my a$$ in Woolies window if Spain came out before UK. Looks like the locals here are spared the awful sight, but then I knew that!
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/6151...miento/espana/
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:20 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
According to the experts, it's been out of recession for a while but needed the figures to prove it. I seem to remember a thread here where someone told me UK would be the last out of recession, and I threatened to show my a$$ in Woolies window if Spain came out before UK. Looks like the locals here are spared the awful sight, but then I knew that!
http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/6151...miento/espana/
Lol - you got it wrong on that thread, and you've got it wrong here too! The quote was that the UK would be the last "major" economy out of recession - and it's proved to be the case. In fact many are still arguing that the massive (?) 0.1% rise showss that the UK is still really in recession. Pretty poor showing for a country that tries to lecture countries like France and Germany on how to run their economy.

Here was the original quote

It's meant to result in a more efficient society, but guess which major western economy is going to be last out of recession? Yep - the UK.
I know you've tried constantly to distort this in an attempt to attacl me, but I'm afraid it's proven to be the truth. Let's hope the UK, and indeed Spain can make a good recovery in 2010

Of course it may be the case that you count Spain to be a major economy after all.... which way do you want it?

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Jan 26th 2010 at 3:33 pm. Reason: added quote
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Here's the good news for the UK anyway, but as it's the Telegraph you may not have thought so from reading the article!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...n-decades.html

The Conservatives will instead focus on the fact that Britain's emergence from the downturn has trailed all its major rivals, including France, Germany, Japan and the United States.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I know you've tried constantly to distort this in an attempt to attacl me,
You flatter yourself if you think I have any interest in you! I hadn't a clue who made the original quote, and unlike you I haven't the time or the interest to trawl through old posts.
Of course it may be the case that you count Spain to be a major economy after all.... which way do you want it?
Of course, and I'm sure Spain does. But more importantly the IMF thinks so, hence the headline, "the last major economy". But then, what do they know, I'd be better listening to you.

El FMI cree que España será la única gran economía que siga en recesión en 2010
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:58 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
You flatter yourself if you think I have any interest in you! I hadn't a clue who made the original quote, and unlike you I haven't the time or the interest to trawl through old posts.

Of course, and I'm sure Spain does. But more importantly the IMF thinks so, hence the headline, "the last major economy". But then, what do they know, I'd be better listening to you.

El FMI cree que España será la única gran economía que siga en recesión en 2010
Rather reluctantly I take the Telegraph's slant

The Conservatives will instead focus on the fact that Britain's emergence from the downturn has trailed all its major rivals, including France, Germany, Japan and the United States.
Not that I'm a great fan of the Tories, but New Lab has been a disaster imo. Still, we can argue as much as we like, I just hope that things get better for folk whether they be in Spain or the UK.