Reload this Page >

Spanish boarder issues with Gibraltar

Spanish boarder issues with Gibraltar

Old Feb 11th 2024, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

notanmp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish boarder issues with Gibraltar

Hi.

We often fly into Gibraltar airport, the last time was late autumn/winter last year.

i have no problem providing any paper work required. But a few years ago spent 8 hours on a beach with queues around the island.

Last year there were delays by the Spanish boarder officials checking, everyone walking across the boarder, where you were staying, how long and proof of bookings etc. They were even calling friends and family in Spain.
I was able to provide everything they needed but was extremely time consuming.

Just wondering if this has all settled down now or if there are still any unusual delays.

Old Feb 11th 2024, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish boarder issues with Gibraltar

As a third world national you will still need to provide the border police with your itinerary in Spain and evidence that you have the funds to support yourself.
Old Feb 12th 2024, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notanmp
Hi.

We often fly into Gibraltar airport, the last time was late autumn/winter last year.

i have no problem providing any paper work required. But a few years ago spent 8 hours on a beach with queues around the island.

Last year there were delays by the Spanish boarder officials checking, everyone walking across the boarder, where you were staying, how long and proof of bookings etc. They were even calling friends and family in Spain.
I was able to provide everything they needed but was extremely time consuming.

Just wondering if this has all settled down now or if there are still any unusual delays.
We went to Gibraltar last Tuesday and it was a doddle but it is only February. Absolutely no queues, sailed through the border in both directions (by car) and even had time for a very brief chat with one of the Spanish border guards. I'm blessed with an Irish passport but my partner is still British with a Portuguese residency card and that was questioned. The guards now check every single page of every single third country passport for stamps and my partner has various Spanish and Portuguese stamps (which they should never have had) which causes confusion. My partner had a Spanish exit stamp so the guard explained it would be better for them to have a Spanish entry stamp otherwise they could be caught out for under staying in the EU.

My point is this, Spanish border force have tightened up and are not letting people through unless they are EU nationals/residents or third country nationals with proof of accommodation and proof of adequate funds. This is very time consuming and queues will build up in the spring. Fredbargate is the expert on all things Gibraltar but no, the border issue has not been agreed and if anything, it has become more difficult for third country nationals BUT either Gibraltar will join Schengen or EES booths will be installed at the border later this year and you will be hived off separately that queue.

The wonders of Brexit freedoms eh?
​​
Old Feb 12th 2024, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
As a third world national you will still need to provide the border police with your itinerary in Spain and evidence that you have the funds to support yourself.
​​​​​​Freudian slip?!!!
Old Feb 12th 2024, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

notanmp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lou71
We went to Gibraltar last Tuesday and it was a doddle but it is only February. Absolutely no queues, sailed through the border in both directions (by car) and even had time for a very brief chat with one of the Spanish border guards. I'm blessed with an Irish passport but my partner is still British with a Portuguese residency card and that was questioned. The guards now check every single page of every single third country passport for stamps and my partner has various Spanish and Portuguese stamps (which they should never have had) which causes confusion. My partner had a Spanish exit stamp so the guard explained it would be better for them to have a Spanish entry stamp otherwise they could be caught out for under staying in the EU.

My point is this, Spanish border force have tightened up and are not letting people through unless they are EU nationals/residents or third country nationals with proof of accommodation and proof of adequate funds. This is very time consuming and queues will build up in the spring. Fredbargate is the expert on all things Gibraltar but no, the border issue has not been agreed and if anything, it has become more difficult for third country nationals BUT either Gibraltar will join Schengen or EES booths will be installed at the border later this year and you will be hived off separately that queue.

The wonders of Brexit freedoms eh?
​​
thank you for your information. appreciated

Having lived and worked in Spain I just needed an up date.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

At present I am closer to the Derwent Valley mills than the Gibraltar frontier. But talking to friends in Gib the frontier is still causing problems so fewer people are trying to cross coupled with fewer tourists at this time of year hence shorter queues.
Reference to joining Schengen it would appear Spain is insisting for the Gibraltarians to do this they would have to surender their British nationality.
A definite no no.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Feb 14th 2024 at 8:34 am.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
At present I am closer to the Derwent Valley mills than the Gibraltar frontier. But talking to friends in Gib the frontier is still causing problems so fewer people are trying to cross coupled with fewer tourists at this time of year hence shorter queues.
Reference to joining Schengen it would appear Spain is insisting for the Gibraltarians to do this they would have to surender their British nationality.
A definite no no.
Does this mean they would simply be Gibraltarians? I can't see a problem with that but overall, I think the Schengen idea has run out of steam and not going anywhere.

As a very frequent visitor to Gib, I think it would be better to just leave things as they are and install separate EES and ETIAS booths at the border. Most people are exempt anyway and if it means that third country nationals can't cross into Spain from Gibraltar without proof of accommodation and adequate funds then so be it.

As long as Gibraltarians, Spanish nationals, cross border workers and EU nationals/residents are free to cross the border, it's a case of job done.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Does this mean they would simply be Gibraltarians?
As long as Gibraltarians, Spanish nationals, cross border workers and EU nationals/residents are free to cross the border, it's a case of job done.
We are basically happy with our lot. But also unlike the Spanish do not believe that others should have their freedom of movement restricted

How many other countries also have religious freedom.
Christians, Jews, Moslems, Non believers etc live in harmony alongside each other.
Paradise.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Feb 14th 2024 at 3:23 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

We are basically happy with our lot. But also unlike the Spanish do not believe that others should have their freedom of movement restricted
A Damascene conversion!
Old Feb 14th 2024, 8:57 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Well no, because Gibraltar voted 96% in favour of remaining.
Old Feb 15th 2024, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DLC
Well no, because Gibraltar voted 96% in favour of remaining.
Well yes because we have accepted the result and moved on.
Unlike yourself who cannot stop harping on .
Old Feb 16th 2024, 7:05 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

my partner has various Spanish and Portuguese stamps (which they should never have had) which causes confusion. My partner had a Spanish exit stamp so the guard explained it would be better for them to have a Spanish entry stamp otherwise they could be caught out for under staying in the EU.​​
It seems that the stamps issue is something that is completely arbitrary as if there are no instructions from above as to how border guards are to proceed. And it's not just niche border crossings, I recently flew into Barcelona and received a passport stamp... even though I showed a SPANISH residency card. Go figure...

At first I thought that the next time I leave the Schengen area I will only show my passport so that I am guaranteed an exit stamp without having to ask for one, but you have got me thinking that maybe I should just show my residency pass and not care about the lack of the exit stamp...
Old Feb 16th 2024, 7:12 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes because we have accepted the result and moved on.
Unlike yourself who cannot stop harping on .
In all fairness aren't you the one complaining about (and most-affected by) the fact that the UK passport has suffered the biggest plunge in status ever?

I mean right now if you're entering Spain it really doesn't matter whether you're from Gibraltar or Tangiers... it's all the same.
Old Feb 17th 2024, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you’re referring to that rather ridiculous so called survey which has UAE wit the allegedly highest status and the U.K. ahead of such giants as Canada, Australia, USA and Japan. Oh and Ireland ranks about 6th. Did you know the word gullible can’t be found in a dictionary?
Old Feb 17th 2024, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by astera
In all fairness aren't you the one complaining about (and most-affected by) the fact that the UK passport has suffered the biggest plunge in status ever?

I mean right now if you're entering Spain it really doesn't matter whether you're from Gibraltar or Tangiers... it's all the same.
Personally I am not affected by the schinanigans at the border other than the delays deliberately caused by Spain.
Last year I asked for my passport to be stamped as I was leaving Spain by a different route.
However unlike many on this forum I do have sympathy for those who do have problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.