Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Bereavment Traditions? Advice please.Maybe Brisca.

Spanish Bereavment Traditions? Advice please.Maybe Brisca.

Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Bereavment Traditions? Advice please.Maybe Brisca.

Hi all,

Further to my post last weekend, the Mayor of our village died this morning.

His daughter lives opposite to me, I only really know her to say hello etc.

Just wondered if anyone (maybe Brisca, cos she is clever!) knows anything about whether I should send 'with sympathy' card or equivalent?

And if so what should I write in it?

Thanks everyone.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 1:57 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Bereavment Traditions? Advice please.Maybe Brisca.

Originally Posted by sarahchirles
Hi all,

Further to my post last weekend, the Mayor of our village died this morning.

His daughter lives opposite to me, I only really know her to say hello etc.

Just wondered if anyone (maybe Brisca, cos she is clever!) knows anything about whether I should send 'with sympathy' card or equivalent?

And if so what should I write in it?

Thanks everyone.
It never hurts to let people know that you are thinking of them. Although most Spanish people do not bother with cards like brits do I have found that all of the cards that we give to neighbours are valued and kept. A sympathy card I am sure would be welcomed. Keep your message brief and warm. Something like 'thinking of you' is often all that is needed.

As a bereavement counsellor for years I can assure you that these messages of support give great comfort to the bereaved.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 27th 2007 at 2:10 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
It never hurts to let people know that you are thinking of them. Although most Spanish people do not bother with cards like brits do I have found that all of the cards that we give to neighbours are valued and kept. A sympathy card I am sure would be welcomed. Keep your message brief and warm. Something like 'thinking of you' is often all that is needed.

As a bereavement counsellor for year I can assure you that these messages of support give great comfort to the bereaved.

Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

heatherb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I can tell you that, as previously said by Rosemary, the spanish do not go in for cards, or flowers etc. The normal thing in Spain is to go to the funeral, which is usually held very quickly after the death. Everyone turns up at the service and then at the end you shake hands with the relatives and offer condolences. If you cannot get to the service for any reason, it is normal to go to the widows house as soon as possible and just offer your condolences.
Hope this helps.
Heather

Last edited by heatherb; Oct 27th 2007 at 2:47 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heatherb
Hi there,
I can tell you that, as previously said by Rosemary, the spanish do not go in for cards, or flowers etc. The normal thing in Spain is to go to the funeral, which is usually held very quickly after the death. Everyone turns up at the service and then at the end you shake hands with the relatives and offer condolences. If you cannot get to the service for any reason, it is normal to go to the widows house as soon as possible and just offer your condolences.
Hope this helps.
Heather
Thanks Heather.

I probably can't go to the funeral due to work. If I put a card under the door it wouldn't offend? Would it?

Obviously if I see the family I will offer my condolences in my best 'Spanglish'!

Would 'Lo Siento' suffice? Any other suggestions welcome!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 3:19 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Heather.

I probably can't go to the funeral due to work. If I put a card under the door it wouldn't offend? Would it?

Obviously if I see the family I will offer my condolences in my best 'Spanglish'!

Would 'Lo Siento' suffice? Any other suggestions welcome!
No-one can be offended to know that others have taken the trouble to show that they are thinking of them.

Rosemary
Old Oct 27th 2007, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

The phrase.
"Te acompaño en sus sentimientos" (I accompany you in your feelings)
Should be fine. It is what is normally said to someone on the death of a close friend/relative.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,

Firstly let me apologise for not having replied to you before now, and also to say how sorry I am to hear about the death of that poor man

I'm sure by now you will have spoken to his daughter, and I imagine she was very appreciative of your thoughtfulness at such a time.

Thanks for mentioning me so kindly in your post but I'm afraid I was away all weekend - hence no response from me.
I see you got plenty of helpful advice anyway.

Any more news about the alleged perpetrators of this crime?
I haven't had a chance to look for any more stories about it.
What a horrible shock!

Take care,
Sam.

PS I love your new avatar - very respectful.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:07 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Hi Sarah,

Firstly let me apologise for not having replied to you before now, and also to say how sorry I am to hear about the death of that poor man

I'm sure by now you will have spoken to his daughter, and I imagine she was very appreciative of your thoughtfulness at such a time.

Thanks for mentioning me so kindly in your post but I'm afraid I was away all weekend - hence no response from me.

What a horrible shock!

Take care,
Sam.

Looks from the recent reports, that those originally thought to be responsible are now possibly off the hook. Apparently the Police are 'persuing several lines of enquiry'
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:18 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Looks from the recent reports, that those originally thought to be responsible are now possibly off the hook. Apparently the Police are 'persuing several lines of enquiry'
Yes, I too have heard that it is being said that the police are looking at family members.......
Old Oct 30th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sarah,

What a horrible shock!

Take care,
Sam.

Thanks Sam.

I pushed a card under the door with a few words on it. Hope it was ok.

Its been mad here, what with Guardia Civil, Suma, Funeral on Sunday and I was questioned by what I assume was the Spanish version of the CID. (in a witness capacity I hasten to add). Luckily he was quite a cutey and was very patient with my bad Spanish! So I didn't end up in handcuffs!

Rumours are rife as you can imagine. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. But I only get as much information as most other people on the internet press releases.

Whatever/why ever it happened it is all very sad and the village is very quiet not many people about.
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
Yes, I too have heard that it is being said that the police are looking at family members.......
You're kidding!!!???
Old Oct 30th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Sam.

I pushed a card under the door with a few words on it. Hope it was ok.

Its been mad here, what with Guardia Civil, Suma, Funeral on Sunday and I was questioned by what I assume was the Spanish version of the CID. (in a witness capacity I hasten to add). Luckily he was quite a cutey and was very patient with my bad Spanish! So I didn't end up in handcuffs!

Rumours are rife as you can imagine. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. But I only get as much information as most other people on the internet press releases.

Whatever/why ever it happened it is all very sad and the village is very quiet not many people about.

Hi Sarah,

I'm sure your card was much appreciated.

What sort of age is the Mayor's daughter? Has she got much family? What about her poor Mum??
What a horrible situation
Yes, I can imagine that this has really shaken people up, and that life in your village must seem very strange at the moment.

I know you're not directly involved; but it must have shocked you too?
It's not the sort of event that you expect to be witness to, is it!?

Sounds like you did really well in your police interview

Let's hope that they catch the people that did this
Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I've just been reading a few articles on Spain News, which have answered a lot of my previous questions about the Mayor's family; and give a bit of information about latest speculation.
Link here
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I've just been reading a few articles on Spain News, which have answered a lot of my previous questions about the Mayor's family; and give a bit of information about latest speculation.
Link here
Thanks for that link Sam.

Fatima lives opposite me.!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.