Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish attitude

Spanish attitude

Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

prettykitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish attitude

I have lived in Costa Blanca North for a year, wondered how other expats find they are received and treated by the Spanish. Interested in the good and bad.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spanish attitude

Originally Posted by prettykitty
I have lived in Costa Blanca North for a year, wondered how other expats find they are received and treated by the Spanish. Interested in the good and bad.
I met my future husband here. So I guess I was received fairly well by the Spanish.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the CB North as well. I haven't had a problem, people have always been friendly and nice.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Very much depends on the area you are in and the language each of you know.

eg, in benidorm, we tried to speak (not too bad) Spanish, and prob because we look english, they reply in english so can confuse matters. Most Spaniards under 25 know some english and seem keen to use it. Was in a Moroccan halal grocers yesterday in lliria, Valencia. Bloke spoke Spanish, then Arabic to another customer, then Spanish to us, but still enjoyed saying "thank you bye bye!" to us. Most seem to love saying a bit.

the WORST thing you can do is be totally ignorant (and there are MANY english in Spain like it) and just speak english, slowly and expect them to understand, eg,. Basil Fawlty style. Its awful and it doesnt help.

In all, the Spanish are far friendlier and more genuine than the english, in my own humble opinion and from extensive experience.

What you give out is what you get back.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:49 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
In all, the Spanish are far friendlier and more genuine than the english, in my own humble opinion and from extensive experience.

What you give out is what you get back.
I agree with that!! I find that if you're friendly, try to speak the language and are pleasant then thats what you get back - even with the checkout girls in Mercadona!!!!!!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I agree with that!! I find that if you're friendly, try to speak the language and are pleasant then thats what you get back - even with the checkout girls in Mercadona!!!!!!

Jo xxx
What about the roller skate girls in Carrefour ?

I generally concur with the above views, the Spanish are very easy to make friends with, but strong when neccessary.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur

I generally concur with the above views, the Spanish are very easy to make friends with, but strong when neccessary.
Xtreme that used to be on here took a picture of a roller skate girl in Carrefour once, and was promptly ejected by security if I remember rightly
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Theyre too fast to get to speak to.

A boring job made fun.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Xtreme that used to be on here took a picture of a roller skate girl in Carrefour once, and was promptly ejected by security if I remember rightly
He wasn't asking her to get the very last box of cornetto's, from the very bottom of the freezer was he ?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:14 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I think it's true..if you're friendly and smiley, others tend to reciprocate.

If you're a miserable toad then you won't get much friendly interaction.

The sunshine does make people more cheery and friendly..more relaxed.

I find that up in the North, they are not as friendly generally than the South..

Today, was really the first sunny day of the year and you can feel the difference in the air..everyone is out and chatting in the streets and parks. Thank god the sun is finally here..The winter is miserable here.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience Spanish people are very easy to be a good friendly acquaintances to, but outside of the big cities they will spend most their time with their extended family and childhood friends. As an outsider its difficult to enter that network.

Maybe thats why my friends in Spain tend to be my OH's extended family or Latin Americans i.e. outsiders too. Or maybe I'm not very friendly!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
I think it's true..if you're friendly and smiley, others tend to reciprocate.

If you're a miserable toad then you won't get much friendly interaction.

The sunshine does make people more cheery and friendly..more relaxed.

I find that up in the North, they are not as friendly generally than the South..

Today, was really the first sunny day of the year and you can feel the difference in the air..everyone is out and chatting in the streets and parks. Thank god the sun is finally here..The winter is miserable here.
My BIL says Asturians are more British than Andalucian!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:25 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Learning a few words in Valenciano won’t do any harm in the northern Costa Blanca, especially in Denia.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG
Learning a few words in Valenciano won’t do any harm in the northern Costa Blanca, especially in Denia.
?????....

No He entenc! Pot escriure-ho? Pot parlar castellà per favour?
Moltes Gràcies
Old Apr 6th 2010, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

(*painterhombre sits there adorned with a "chufty badge")

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.