Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain's most expensive city.

Spain's most expensive city.

Old May 16th 2014, 8:57 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain's most expensive city.

It's not Madrid nor Barcelona, as many of us would have thought. Nor even Marbella.
Step forward, the Basque city of San Sebastián (Donostia) !

http://www.thelocal.es/20140515/san-...-priciest-city
Old May 16th 2014, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain's most expensive city.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's not Madrid nor Barcelona, as many of us would have thought. Nor even Marbella.

Without a doubt. I think most Spanish people know this

It is the only city in Spain that hasnt suffered a property crash. Quite rightly too, it is a beautiful city. I dont think I have ever been to a city with such an afluent atmosphere

Btw, Marbella isn't very expensive at all.
Old May 16th 2014, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

I thought most people on here would have known that
Old May 16th 2014, 10:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
I doubt that many on this board have been to the Basque country, still less to San Sebastian. We do have a couple of posters who live there I think.
Old May 16th 2014, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the name of those tiny glasses of beer that you get up there. I remember the first time I stayed up there. I went into a bar and ordered a beer, the barman gave me a tumbler with about an inch of beer in it. I thought it was a taster. I said that it was bueno or whatever and ordered a grande. Out came the next one. I wasn't paying much attention so I assumed he'd given me another beer to sample. I drank that and said bueno and again asked for a large one.
After the third time I clocked it. So I just ordered 6 and said something about amigos. I ended up drinking with two old boys in the corner and had one of the best afternoons of my life. The landlord brought out some cigars and bits of food.
Old May 16th 2014, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

You assume too much. There are people posting every day about the most mundane of things. An insight into another part of the country is not to be dismissed. I was not aware of this oasis of great good fortune previously.
Who knows, I might even find my way there one day, I'll start saving right away
Old May 16th 2014, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonboy
You assume too much. There are people posting every day about the most mundane of things. An insight into another part of the country is not to be dismissed. I was not aware of this oasis of great good fortune previously.
Who knows, I might even find my way there one day, I'll start saving right away
Sorry I didn't intend to sound "culturally snobbish" - of course many people on here wouldn't know it (I don't know what France's most expensive city is) - however I think that people who end up being in Spain a few years, and taking an interest, would eventually find out about San Sebastián. Personally I was slightly disappointed by the place when I went there - lots of people had hyped it up, but I found it a bit sterile and I got a bit bored of all those (expensive) Pintxos. I should give it another chance, but I prefer places that have a bit more local life to them, evenif that means they are slightly rougher around the edges.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I didn't intend to sound "culturally snobbish" - of course many people on here wouldn't know it (I don't know what France's most expensive city is) - however I think that people who end up being in Spain a few years, and taking an interest, would eventually find out about San Sebastián. Personally I was slightly disappointed by the place when I went there - lots of people had hyped it up, but I found it a bit sterile and I got a bit bored of all those (expensive) Pintxos. I should give it another chance, but I prefer places that have a bit more local life to them, evenif that means they are slightly rougher around the edges.
I didnt think the pinxos were expensive at all, and there was lots of life when I went there - although it was during the film festival

I guess you prefer Vallecas which is fine aswell, but there is nothing like a working class snob
Old May 16th 2014, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cricketman
I didnt think the pinxos were expensive at all, and there was lots of life when I went there - although it was during the film festival

I guess you prefer Vallecas which is fine aswell, but there is nothing like a working class snob
Maybe I got ripped off then - it's just that various people had told me of this amazing city that they wanted to live in if they could afford it, and it never really hit me like that.

If it wasn't for the fact that nearly all its old buildings got burnt down 50 years ago, I'd probably prefer Santander (or Barcelona if it wasn't packed with tourists, or Madrid if it had a beach, or Malaga if there was any work to be found there, etc, etc). Nowhere's perfect.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Like yourself I rocked up there during a film festival or premiere. There was no room at the inn. Ended up staying a few miles west, on the coast in some kind of surfer dude town. Good fun, a young crowd, a tiny bit downmarket and way too small beers.

Can't remember the name of it. If I could I would go back.
Old May 16th 2014, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe I got ripped off then - it's just that various people had told me of this amazing city that they wanted to live in if they could afford it, and it never really hit me like that.

If it wasn't for the fact that nearly all its old buildings got burnt down 50 years ago, I'd probably prefer Santander (or Barcelona if it wasn't packed with tourists, or Madrid if it had a beach, or Malaga if there was any work to be found there, etc, etc). Nowhere's perfect.
Malaga is nice enough, but comparing Malaga to San Sebastian is like comparing salchichon with jamon de bellota
Old May 16th 2014, 12:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Have to agree with you - I've been impressed by different places in the Basque country, but found San Sebastian a little too spoilt by the tourist effect - although it has admittedly a great landscape.
Had a business meeting in Mostoles yesterday. Not a place I'd normally find myself in - heard it described as a dormitory town. But after the noise and crowds of Madrid, it seemed very pleasant and peaceful, and even the terrazas (again full, no doubt because of the San Isidro holiday) seemed more appealing. Obviously not going to be a place for culture or nightlife, but I could be tempted to live there...
Old May 16th 2014, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have to agree with you - I've been impressed by different places in the Basque country, but found San Sebastian a little too spoilt by the tourist effect - although it has admittedly a great landscape.
Had a business meeting in Mostoles yesterday. Not a place I'd normally find myself in - heard it described as a dormitory town. But after the noise and crowds of Madrid, it seemed very pleasant and peaceful, and even the terrazas (again full, no doubt because of the San Isidro holiday) seemed more appealing. Obviously not going to be a place for culture or nightlife, but I could be tempted to live there...
I went to a wedding there a few months ago and it seemed ok. I know a few Spanish people who live there and they like the place. There are lots of those types of places dotted around the outside of Madrid, but there won't be so much going on in them though.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

As previously mentioned, very obvious to folk who know the country reasonably well and most especially those who have stopped off there a time or two.

A more comprehensive list might have been interesting but certainly no great surprises regarding those mentioned.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuboy
Like yourself I rocked up there during a film festival or premiere. There was no room at the inn. Ended up staying a few miles west, on the coast in some kind of surfer dude town. Good fun, a young crowd, a tiny bit downmarket and way too small beers.

Can't remember the name of it. If I could I would go back.
It's called "un zurito". I believe in other parts of Spain it's called "un corto". A sensible amount of beer, unless you're really thirsty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.