Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain's Electric Sun

Spain's Electric Sun

Old Jul 26th 2013, 10:37 am
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Spain's Electric Sun

Interesting article in El Pais you might have missed.
From my reading of it I get the following :-

1) The fixed part of an electricity bill is going up 77%.

2) The cost per unit of electricity will be coming down 27%.

3) You cannot sell excess solar power to the grid.

4) It is prohibited to store self-generated power in a battery.

5) It will now take 23 years to get your money back from investing in solar power.

6) The Spanish Government is potty.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/07/23/...05_024635.html
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:01 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain's Electric Sun

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker

That's what the article says. Amazing! And complete idiocy.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:14 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

It is prohibited to store self-generated power in a battery.
Any particular reason ?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

]
Houses in the campo just got a lot cheaper and less attractive.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spain's Electric Sun

1) The fixed part of an electricity bill is going up 77%.

2) The cost per unit of electricity will be coming down 27%.

3) You cannot sell excess solar power to the grid.

5) It will now take 23 years to get your money back from investing in solar power.

6) The Spanish Government is potty.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/07/23/...05_024635.html
How can this possibly apply to someone completely off grid way out in the campo. They have no alternative but to use wind or sun power and battery storage. Friends of ours use all three and the first cost is horrendous so to impose a futher penalty is grossly unfair.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:30 am
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Any particular reason ?
From the article :

"The government has decided that home renewable energy systems must be introduced slowly and without altering the existing system. That is why it is reserving the right to raise or lower these specific fees depending on how the sector evolves."

My reading is they are worried about over-draining the sun at this early stage.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spain's Electric Sun

From the article :

"The government has decided that home renewable energy systems must be introduced slowly and without altering the existing system. That is why it is reserving the right to raise or lower these specific fees depending on how the sector evolves."

My reading is they are worried about over-draining the sun at this early stage.
No I think they are cow towing to the mega energy companies who seem to have an unreasonable influence on the Spanish Government. They make huge profits and have a worldwide presence. I wonder if they were involved along with the construction companies in the current Barcenas fraud/money laundering trials.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 11:43 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
No I think they are cow towing to the mega energy companies who seem to have an unreasonable influence on the Spanish Government. They make huge profits and have a worldwide presence. I wonder if they were involved along with the construction companies in the current Barcenas fraud/money laundering trials.
Seem to have an unreasonable influence? Ya think?

Somehow extortion with impunity doesn't exactly equate to "seem to have an unreasonable influence" IMHO.

The standing charges alone are already silly. I reckon that's where they make most of their money, especially now that people have changed to minimum tariffs and are consuming less. This is just a way to ensure that they get their profits even if the public cuts their energy consumption to nil.

4) It is prohibited to store self-generated power in a battery. (then why does every solar shop around here sell big batteries with every solar system?)

Not only does this restriction exhibit no rational purpose, but for all intents and purposes, it's unenforceable. Where do they come up with this nonsense?

So, Spain is still the #1 in alternative energy? (never was, but some of us want to believe that). I reckon with legislation like this, Spain may become be #1 in energy company profits, though.

And they say bankers are the greediest.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 26th 2013 at 12:01 pm.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a rethink on this clause:-

There is a battery in my car, the power I generate myself by driving the car

Back to the trusty old starting handle it would seem
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Just had a rethink on this clause:-

There is a battery in my car, the power I generate myself by driving the car

Back to the trusty old starting handle it would seem
Still need a battery, unless you can keep winding an ancient hand powered gennie whilst driving along.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:57 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Still need a battery, unless you can keep winding an ancient hand powered gennie whilst driving along.
Why do you need a battery? I have a bike that I kick start, the lights etc. work off the engine and NOT a battery.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:59 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Do you smell that?
It's ... erm ... a slight fragrance of something familiar ...

...Brussels, perhaps?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:21 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Any particular reason ?
José Manuel Soria lining a job up for when he leaves the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism in two years.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:35 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why do you need a battery? I have a bike that I kick start, the lights etc. work off the engine and NOT a battery.
You may get away with running a car without a battery in an ancient banger say 40 years old or so, but certainly not now.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

So I will be able to increase my electricity consumption by 27% and pay no more overall, as I will have to pay the increased standing charges anyway?

Seems very sensible - not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.