Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spainish pension

Spainish pension

Old Sep 5th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Spainish pension

This has probably been covered several times over but does anyone know if you can claim for any Spanish pension if you have contributed to the Spanish system for 5 years. If so where do I start? Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Spainish pension

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
This has probably been covered several times over but does anyone know if you can claim for any Spanish pension if you have contributed to the Spanish system for 5 years. If so where do I start? Thanks
As the roles are for now you have to contribute 15 years to get a Spanish Pension. But I know that they are working with this issue in Brussels, it might be changed in the future.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spainish pension

However I think there is some combination when you have worked in a No. of different EU countries and the longest pays the pension but it is at a higher rate than would be the case for that country alone. Of course it will only come at the retirement age of that country .
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

I receive pensions from different European countries. You must claim your pension in UK and the forms ask "did you work and are entitled to a pension from a different country within EU"?

Newcastle sorts your UK pension and contacts the other country/ies where you contributed for your pension. From there it is up to that country to sort your pension.

Your non UK pension will be paid by the country where you paid at their rate. Not on the UK rate. I had to contact the pension service in another country and go through their ombudsman as I waited for 3 years for that pension service to pay me but I got there in the end. I dare say not all countries are necessarily like that.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyx
As the roles are for now you have to contribute 15 years to get a Spanish Pension. But I know that they are working with this issue in Brussels, it might be changed in the future.
Not true. If you had only contributed in Spain that would be the case but if you have paid in different countries the pensions are aggregated and it is entirely possible to get a Spanish pension after just one year of contributions.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:51 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all

This eu website has some useful info.
From my understanding you have to claim in the last country that you paid your contributions to.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your contributions but i dont feel any the wiser. There must be some defintive answer to this but the UK DWP do not have it and when I went into our local SS office they didnt either...so looks like the money that was paid by my employers will be lost forever.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

I am starting to worry about my 9 years autonomo paid in Spain now.

I stopped working here in Spain last year when I was able to claim my UK State Pension. I cannot claim the Spanish one till 2015 when I reach 65 (unless they change the parameters in the meantime). I am hoping to return permanently to the UK next year. I read the information available on-line and thought it meant that I should make my claim through the relevant authority in the country I reside in at the time of making the claim, so long as I had worked in that country at some time. Maybe I need to make sure of this before I leave Spain as you say the DWP seem to have no knowledge of this.

Oh why is everything so confusing?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your contributions but i dont feel any the wiser. There must be some defintive answer to this but the UK DWP do not have it and when I went into our local SS office they didnt either...so looks like the money that was paid by my employers will be lost forever.
Have you read and understood posts 4 & 6 and checked the EU website?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:01 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty straightforward. One of my friends has a pension from 4 different EU countries and he never worked in any of them for more than 3 years (apart from the UK).

This site seems to explain it in simple terms

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?langId=en&catId=860
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jontee

I stopped working here in Spain last year when I was able to claim my UK State Pension. I cannot claim the Spanish one till 2015 when I reach 65 (unless they change the parameters in the meantime). I am hoping to return permanently to the UK next year. I read the information available on-line and thought it meant that I should make my claim through the relevant authority in the country I reside in at the time of making the claim, so long as I had worked in that country at some time. Maybe I need to make sure of this before I leave Spain as you say the DWP seem to have no knowledge of this.

Reread the posts and then plot your own route to the solution.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura aboutJontee has a spectacular aura about

I had already plotted my route: ie. Apply in the country I will be in at the time. But according to Chrisjolly, DWP are not helpful!!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:13 pm

I had already plotted my route: ie. Apply in the country I will be in at the time. But according to Chrisjolly, DWP are not helpful!!
I have to say that whenever I have had to contact DWP they have been incredibly helpful and an absolute credit to the concept of customer service.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

[QUOTE=Fred James;10265376]Not true. If you had only contributed in Spain that would be the case but if you have paid in different countries the pensions are aggregated and it is entirely possible to get a Spanish pension after just one year of contributions.[/QUOTE

My wife applied for her UK pension about 2 years ago via the spanish seguridad social because spain was the last place she worked (for 6 years) . I have to admit we got a gestor to do it for us. Her UK pension went through OK. She will be 65 in a few months so her (small) spanish pension should start then. That's the theory but she is not going to hold her breath..... A few months ago we did our tax returns via a local spanish assessor. He was quite adamant that she will not receive any pension from Spain. We didn't argue with him but I think (hope..) he was wrong.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Your application should be made to the relevant authority in the country where you last worked. I find it strange that DWP profess no knowledge of this - it was them who told my wife that she would have to apply in Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.