Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is Spain really as bad as they say

Is Spain really as bad as they say

Old May 14th 2012, 7:04 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Spain really as bad as they say

Originally Posted by pixieve
I have no opinion of them, this is the opinion of the people in my neighbourhood. There are quite a few columbians in my daughters school and the families seem like lovely people!
your problem is you are too trusting, everyone is nice.
for every nice person there will be 6 who are not....
or is it the otherway round

like you I take people as I find them - anything left lying around is there for the taking
no, seriously, I have found many many nice people from many countries in many countries. I have also found people I wouldnt want to share a half finished can of beer with.
without being totally off with everyone I (and BH) have learnt to put our toes into the waters very gently. we have almost nothing to do with expats, we use all the local shopping facilities, eat the local foods - believe it or not it is possible to have a good meal 7 nights a week without having to pop down to Iceland in Salobrena or wherever it is. (see don't even know where it is!!). The local shopkeepers help us out with our guiri pronunciation of their words and they are proud of the few words of English they have, in a better accent than my Spanish.

I am sure some Spaniards can tell you many varied and lurid tales about Columbians in the same way as Brits will tell you similar tales about Pakistani's, Indians, Poles, Latvians etc etc. Some are true, some are near truth and some are downright lies.

Enjoy being who you are.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Originally Posted by Domino
your problem is you are too trusting, everyone is nice.
for every nice person there will be 6 who are not....
or is it the otherway round

like you I take people as I find them - anything left lying around is there for the taking
no, seriously, I have found many many nice people from many countries in many countries. I have also found people I wouldnt want to share a half finished can of beer with.
without being totally off with everyone I (and BH) have learnt to put our toes into the waters very gently. we have almost nothing to do with expats, we use all the local shopping facilities, eat the local foods - believe it or not it is possible to have a good meal 7 nights a week without having to pop down to Iceland in Salobrena or wherever it is. (see don't even know where it is!!). The local shopkeepers help us out with our guiri pronunciation of their words and they are proud of the few words of English they have, in a better accent than my Spanish.

I am sure some Spaniards can tell you many varied and lurid tales about Columbians in the same way as Brits will tell you similar tales about Pakistani's, Indians, Poles, Latvians etc etc. Some are true, some are near truth and some are downright lies.

Enjoy being who you are.
I don't think i'm too trusting I just take people as they are like you said. If they are nice to me, then fine. Who am I to judge them?

Like you I don't hang out with expats, not because I don't want to...simply because there are NONE where I live! Thats why everyone here knows me as the "chica ingles" The closest thing I have to home is a Primark, and im fine with that! I like the spanish foods and customs etc...though I wouldnt mind having somewhere to buy some decent cadburys
Old May 14th 2012, 7:54 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think i'm too trusting I just take people as they are like you said. If they are nice to me, then fine. Who am I to judge them?

Like you I don't hang out with expats, not because I don't want to...simply because there are NONE where I live! Thats why everyone here knows me as the "chica ingles" The closest thing I have to home is a Primark, and im fine with that! I like the spanish foods and customs etc...though I wouldnt mind having somewhere to buy some decent cadburys
Are they Columbians because their level of Spanish is dire?
Old May 14th 2012, 8:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

i have a fondness for mint chocolate, have found Mercadona have their own label range which is more than just acceptable. but i have to restrict my consumption, the diet is working well and I don't want to go off the rails.

think I saw a couple of bars of Cadburys in my local P'Aqui, but then they know there are some Brits in the area and stock gravy and a couple of other items to suit. their sales of fairy liquid washing up stuff are quite good, with the spanish as well as brits like me, but the formulation is different and it is more perfumed than the bottle I brought back from the UK.
I really miss Woods Rum, at 54% proof it is probably too strong to go on sale in Spain but ISTR their website saying it was available in Spain - just nowhere near me, but then they say it is available in Sainsburys but the only place I have found it in UK is Morrisons at about £22 a 70cl bottle - but it is a really ace rum, like one or two single malts.

these are "international" companies with "international" products and many are made in Madrid and places but can we get them ? NO !

but that is the fun of living in the jungle, you have to eat what the natives eat - unless it happens to be you, by which time it is too late.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are they Columbians because their level of Spanish is dire?
Yes, I had to laugh at that, we both know they don't say that!
Pssst! It's ColOmbians, you're getting in bad habits reading Brits!
Old May 14th 2012, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Originally Posted by Domino
i have a fondness for mint chocolate, have found Mercadona have their own label range which is more than just acceptable. but i have to restrict my consumption, the diet is working well and I don't want to go off the rails.

think I saw a couple of bars of Cadburys in my local P'Aqui, but then they know there are some Brits in the area and stock gravy and a couple of other items to suit. their sales of fairy liquid washing up stuff are quite good, with the spanish as well as brits like me, but the formulation is different and it is more perfumed than the bottle I brought back from the UK.
I really miss Woods Rum, at 54% proof it is probably too strong to go on sale in Spain but ISTR their website saying it was available in Spain - just nowhere near me, but then they say it is available in Sainsburys but the only place I have found it in UK is Morrisons at about £22 a 70cl bottle - but it is a really ace rum, like one or two single malts.

these are "international" companies with "international" products and many are made in Madrid and places but can we get them ? NO !

but that is the fun of living in the jungle, you have to eat what the natives eat - unless it happens to be you, by which time it is too late.
Mercadona's chocolate is actually a great replacement!! I love their bars with the orange/strawberry centre...great price too! There's not really too much else I miss, you can get spanish versions of almost everything now! Except for hobnobs and jaffa cakes....ive tried mercadonas jaffas and they are horrible, and havent come across anything remotely similar to a hob nob!!!
Old May 14th 2012, 9:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Mercadona's chocolate is actually a great replacement!! I love their bars with the orange/strawberry centre...great price too! There's not really too much else I miss, you can get spanish versions of almost everything now! Except for hobnobs and jaffa cakes....ive tried mercadonas jaffas and they are horrible, and havent come across anything remotely similar to a hob nob!!!
try the Hacendado chocolate digestives with avena............. almost as good as hobnobs
Old May 14th 2012, 11:37 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, I had to laugh at that, we both know they don't say that!
Pssst! It's ColOmbians, you're getting in bad habits reading Brits!
Learnt something new today...........

I wrote it the way I hear it and it seem to be ColUmbians to me, with the U as in umbrella and not in Menu ( as in English men-you)
Old May 14th 2012, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnxa
try the Hacendado chocolate digestives with avena............. almost as good as hobnobs
Thanks for the tip! Heading there now so will grab a pack
Old May 14th 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
Learnt something new today...........

I wrote it the way I hear it and it seem to be ColUmbians to me, with the U as in umbrella and not in Menu ( as in English men-you)
that is why language evolves, diction, the way it is said - preferably by the people from the country concerned in this case, but even the various Spanish speaking countries have differences as you know only too well.

personally I would agree with the umbrella rather than the menu, but then I can't get Spanish right so what would I know.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Do you ever go to Lidl? I'd recommend their 'jaffacake' equivalents... and more!
Old May 14th 2012, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fionamw
Do you ever go to Lidl? I'd recommend their 'jaffacake' equivalents... and more!
not usually. I wish I could but it's along way out from me and it would require taking a taxi. I don't drive so I go to supermarkets within walking distance, mercadona, alcampo, carrefour etc. Love Lidl though!!
Old May 14th 2012, 8:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Well done for keeping on topic people

*claps hands in a slow, patronising way*
Old May 14th 2012, 9:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Well done for keeping on topic people

*claps hands in a slow, patronising way*

Troll turned Policeman, eh ?

*also claps hands in patronising way*

Why not get yourself a cuppa and a jaffa cake Matt and stop moaning so much ?
Old May 14th 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Troll turned Policeman, eh ?

*also claps hands in patronising way*

Why not get yourself a cuppa and a jaffa cake Matt and stop moaning so much ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.