Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain or Portugal

Spain or Portugal

Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Rak1947 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spain or Portugal

We are a retired couple from Luxembourg.
We would like to buy an house or in East Algarve or in Ayamonte or Costa Esuri.

Would somebody help us in giving advice where to buy an 120/140m2 house?

Thank you
Old Oct 5th 2013, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain or Portugal

If you read the posts on this Spanish forum you will see that the Spain is corrupt from top to bottom,
There is no such thing as a straight lawyer, estate agent or government official.
Add to that crippling taxes and utilities.
Plus 10,000's of illegal properties.
For your own good look elsewhere
Old Oct 5th 2013, 4:46 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If you read the posts on this Spanish forum you will see that the Spain is corrupt from top to bottom,
There is no such thing as a straight lawyer, estate agent or government official.
Add to that crippling taxes and utilities.
Plus 10,000's of illegal properties.
For your own good look elsewhere
Whilst I agree there are many problems .. I cant agree that you advise anyone to forget it. So I ask RAK to take this advice with a pinch of salt, but realise that there is some truth here.

Properly prepared you can work around these problems. And on this forum you will find people to steer you away from the issues.

I can also confirm from personal experience that this is an excellent area to consider.... we live in Costa Esuri (CE) too.

For the Ayamonte part take a look at this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809950

It is part of the 'Ayamonte Club'. We were so active we were given our own special sub-forum. The only one in Spain. The other 2 sub fora are 'Plaza de Toros' and 'Siesta time'.. which are not region specific. So if you choose the Ayamnte/CE area you will have a lot of help from an active group of knowledgeable people.

My post no 19 on this thread above gives a lot of details from my perspective - which includes some of the problems to consider. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=19 Other posts here will give further advice too.

There are many other threads within Ayamonte Club that you can peruse to give you a picture of what it is like +ve and -ve.. before deciding.

Good luck

Jon
Old Oct 5th 2013, 4:48 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

We have met a number of Portuguese expats in Luxembourg. And there are many bus routes and lorries running between the two countries to service the Portuguese families now in Lx.
Maybe this would persuade you or deter you from living in Portugal.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 5:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
It is part of the 'Ayamonte Club'. We were so active we were given our own special sub-forum. The only one in Spain.
Only because you wanted it.

People in other regions, and there are far more of them than in your region, are happy to be part of a Spanish forum.

Many members who only access your local forum miss out on the huge amount of relevant of information on the main forum because they only access the local forum

I would recommend all new members to access all the Spanish forums..
Old Oct 5th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Maybe in other countries the corrupt officials are just better at concealing their misdeeds?
Corruption Perceptions Index 2012
Old Oct 5th 2013, 5:25 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Only because you wanted it.

People in other regions, and there are far more of them than in your region, are happy to be part of a Spanish forum.

Many members who only access your local forum miss out on the huge amount of relevant of information on the main forum because they only access the local forum

I would recommend all new members to access all the Spanish forums..
Old Oct 5th 2013, 5:39 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore all the gloom and doomers , spend as much time as you can visiting both areas. Every year thousands buy in Spain and Portugal and have no problems.
I am sure you will find somewhere that meets your requirements.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 5:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rak1947
We are a retired couple from Luxembourg.
We would like to buy an house or in East Algarve or in Ayamonte or Costa Esuri.

Would somebody help us in giving advice where to buy an 120/140m2 house?

Thank you
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 5th 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rosemary,

I could not find the Free Beer thread.

Regards
Old Oct 5th 2013, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosemary,

Regards
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422251
Old Oct 5th 2013, 7:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rosemary,

Regards
I noticed that you have already been pointed in the right direction. There is a lot of information there but unfortunately some of it is now out of date so I would say use with caution and gain confirmation from others sources to ensure clarity.

Rosemary
Old Oct 5th 2013, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
Maybe in other countries the corrupt officials are just better at concealing their misdeeds?
Corruption Perceptions Index 2012
A good hit in the noses of Fredgarbate
Old Oct 6th 2013, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Oct 6th 2013, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

This is not an answer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.