Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is poor, UK is rotten

Spain is poor, UK is rotten

Old Nov 1st 2012, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain is poor, UK is rotten

I watched 2 programmes last night which highlighted the differences between Spain and the UK for me

1. Comando actualidad - where they followed volunteers around helping the children and poor, making sure they had enough food, feeding them warm meals etc. Even volunteers who took in a Russian lady and her child in their home, for free, because the lady's business went bust and she was self-emplyed so entitled to no benefits. The generousity of these volunteers to the genuinely needy was incredible. They were warm, friendly and generous in spirit

2. Britain's Hidden Hungy. Immediately afterwards I watched this on the iPlayer. I mentioned a few months ago on here that there were 11 food banks just in Coventry and nobody believed me. Well, this programme confirmed it. The volunteers were power hungry, patronising and racist. They were dismissive of the needs of the non-white people and really matey with the white male who actually turned out to be a con man. In the one house where the people actually were needy you could find iMac computers and £2k televisions. Then there was the young woman, Charlotte who nobody in the system cared about and was doing a great job trying to get her life together on one meal a day, the system and everyday people couldnt have given a sh*t. The volunteers seemed to be driven by religious fanaticism rather then actually wanting to help people

Conclusion:

Britain is rich and generous with money, but unkind and uncaring
Spain is poor and tight. Those in power couldnt care less about the poor. But their neighbours were the kindest and warmest people you could ever meet
Old Nov 1st 2012, 10:39 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is poor, UK is rotten

Not another pissing contest
Old Nov 1st 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Not another pissing contest
I was just surprised at the completely different worlds

You could say that the UK is better because the government actually give money to the less well off, unlike in Spain where people rely on the generosity of their neighbours. It goes both ways

It is also interesting that it seems that just as many people require free food in both countries, both for entirely different reasons
Old Nov 1st 2012, 10:55 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Spain:

Rest of the world:
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

A nineteenth century English traveller in Spain once observed that in England, they despise the poor, but in Spain they despise the rich. Not sure how true that is, but there certainly isn't that over-riding view here that if you are down on your luck it must be your own fault.

I'm sure there are genuinely good volunteers in England though, just as there are pious types in Spain who only help the poor because they think it will get them into heaven.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

I'm sure there are genuinely good volunteers in England though, just as there are pious types in Spain who only help the poor because they think it will get them into heaven.
Yes, one thing that needs to bear in mind is editorial content

The Spanish channels have a very straight forward editorial of letting people tell their own story

The BBC seeks controversy and likes to catch people out as either being cheats or hypocrites. It is a shame that a programme that was meant to be about people going hungry was actually about people cheating the system and the centre manager abusing his power over vulnerable people who were seeking free food

What the true state of affairs is, I dont know
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:23 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one.

Never ceases to amaze me what sort of ridiculous claims and generalisations he's going to come up with next.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Nice one.

Never ceases to amaze me what sort of ridiculous claims and generalisations he's going to come up with next.
Did nobody see the BBC programme then? I thought you all watched UK TV?
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:40 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one.

We all have things we love to hate. Cman prefers sensationalist TV programmes and conspiracy theory websites.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 11:47 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are both in Hawaii. The top one is.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:01 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

One thing does leap out at me.
Those of us, like myself, CM and PocaLoca, who like many aspects of Spain (although we know there are many areas like politics or employment or building rules that are not in an ideal state) are perfectly capable of acknowledging good things about the UK - its parks, homely pubs (when they still exist), M&S, mild climate, live music etc.
But a small group of Spain-haters can't bear (yes really they HATE) to hear anything that is positive about Spain.
And consequently when they do see something positive, their hatred goes into overdrive, and an alternative universe emerges. Sunny Spain? No - it's always cold in winter. Good coffee at only 1Euro 20? No- impossible, it's 2Euros nearly everywhere. Quick prompt service in bars? No - despite the fact you've been involved with Spain for over 20 years, you're obviously mistaken.
OR they just abuse the person writing something positive.
I really fear for their mental well-being. If the country really does distress you that much, leave the place (or never visit). All that negative whingeing and climbing up the wall really isn't good for your health.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:10 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
One thing does leap out at me.
Those of us, like myself, CM and PocaLoca, who like many aspects of Spain (although we know there are many areas like politics or employment or building rules that are not in an ideal state) are perfectly capable of acknowledging good things about the UK - its parks, homely pubs (when they still exist), M&S, mild climate, live music etc.
But a small group of Spain-haters can't bear (yes really they HATE) to hear anything that is positive about Spain.
And consequently when they do see something positive, their hatred goes into overdrive, and an alternative universe emerges. Sunny Spain? No - it's always cold in winter. Good coffee at only 1Euro 20? No- impossible, it's 2Euros nearly everywhere. Quick prompt service in bars? No - despite the fact you've been involved with Spain for over 20 years, you're obviously mistaken.
OR they just abuse the person writing something positive.
I really fear for their mental well-being. If the country really does distress you that much, leave the place (or never visit). All that negative whingeing and climbing up the wall really isn't good for your health.
Grow up and stop being so childish.

It's only a forum. Many views are obviously tongue in cheek and of no importance at all in the greater scheme of things.

For someone who admires Spanish culture it appears you have sadly missed the boat.

Just a shame certain ones take every single word so seriously and are so sadly lacking in SOH.

I would have thought that you'd have learned at least something from the Spanish by now.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Nov 1st 2012 at 12:13 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:14 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Grow up and stop being so childish.

It's only a forum. Many views are obviously tongue in cheek and of no importance at all in the greater scheme of things.

For someone who admires Spanish culture it appears you have sadly missed the boat.

Just a shame certain ones take every single word so seriously and are so sadly lacking in SOH.
Dick - I've only just taken you off ignore.
But it appears you can't make a reasoned argument, and I almost never see you give links or evidence to back up your assertions. You seem to relish just giving out insults - once in a while is fine, but with you it's constant aggression.
It's always "you idiot" "you're childish" or whatever.
Back on Ignore (and I only hope people don't quote you as then I'm forced to read your sneers)
Next!
Old Nov 1st 2012, 12:14 pm
Banned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.