Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain leaves the G20

Spain leaves the G20

Old Sep 13th 2013, 5:18 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain leaves the G20

I was just watching a recording of 'Mock the Week' and heard that Spain has left the G20 and are just 'observer' status.

I have to admit not knowing that - but sounds like really big news.

Is it because of the crisis?

Just for discussion, as much as we might like Spain, does this mean in effect that they simply don't have the horsepower to be considered a major player on the global stage?

It appears so...

Jon

Ps I think the episode is repeated saturday night

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Sep 13th 2013 at 5:21 am.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain leaves the G20

Spain is not a member of the G20, it gets invited along, it is referred to as a "permanent guest" it has, as you said, observer status only. I think they have the role of tea lady!
Even the top men get it wrong occasionally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbyDVIKM18M
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:48 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is not a member and never was.

This article talks about it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...e-g-20-359557/
Old Sep 13th 2013, 9:10 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Notice the date of the article is 2009. Wonder what it would say now
Old Sep 13th 2013, 9:13 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Spain is not a member and never was.

This article talks about it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...e-g-20-359557/

So if Obama is free the ask Spain along as a guest, I reckon Cameron should be able to invite Gibraltar.

The Spanish make terrible tea anyway, so I dare say Fred B would be happy to act as tea lady, as well as a fly on the wall.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

The Spanish make terrible tea anyway, so I dare say Fred B would be happy to act as tea lady, as well as a fly on the wall.
It's a bit like when we were kids, if you weren't good enough to play in the first team, you got the job of bringing the oranges on at half time.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:35 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Notice the date of the article is 2009. Wonder what it would say now
How weird, I never questioned that Spain were in the G20.... and when Dara Obrean mentioned that they had left... he got it wrong. They were never in.

Spain has had a huge global influence and history, hence the language is spoken all over the world.

Well you learn something every day.. I also had it wrong to think they were in.

Jon
Old Sep 13th 2013, 1:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
How weird, I never questioned that Spain were in the G20.... and when Dara Obrean mentioned that they had left... he got it wrong. They were never in.

Spain has had a huge global influence and history, hence the language is spoken all over the world.

Jon
Spain lost most of it's global influence a very long time ago and more recently it's time under Franco didn't help, as for history I don't think it makes much difference in todays world.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:06 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Jon
Spanish is spoken all over the world because of the empire... and to be fair, the death and destruction they gave to the world. South America speaks Spanish thanks to the blood they filled the rivers and soil with. Spain has less cause to celebrate than the UK for its record on human rights.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
So if Obama is free the ask Spain along as a guest, I reckon Cameron should be able to invite Gibraltar.

I'm in Boston at the moment so let's not mention tea
Old Sep 14th 2013, 6:06 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

Blimey you do pick your places
Old Sep 14th 2013, 8:43 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
One of my favourite places...enjoy

I have realised there is something missing from this thread...Stevie. He usually comes on discussions like this with 4 links to say Spain is booming Perhaps he has arrived in Madrid for his business start up.

Jon do you think the "Mock the Week" programme was being sarky when they said Spain had left the G20
Old Sep 14th 2013, 11:12 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
One of my favourite places...enjoy

I have realised there is something missing from this thread...Stevie. He usually comes on discussions like this with 4 links to say Spain is booming Perhaps he has arrived in Madrid for his business start up.
Maybe he's already doing good business flogging those "relax with a 3 euro con leche" T-shirts at 18 euros a shot.

As they say,every cloud has a silver lining and at least a handful of sharp entrepreneurs have been smart enough to cash in on Madrid's catastrophic showing.

I recall something along those lines was one of his business suggestions a short while back.