Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain and its roundabouts

Spain and its roundabouts

Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Gusi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spain and its roundabouts

Hi, I'm new here. I'm spanish, 42. Hope I can help a bit.

Fred's pdf is right. I know it could be confusing at first but that's the way it works:

- Driving on the outer lane is ALWAYS, ANYTIME correct. No matter if you are taking the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th exit.

- The inner lane(s) is there for you to use it IF POSSIBLE to help traffic become more fluid. Use it only if you feel sure enough and only if you are taking 3rd, 4th or further exits. It's your choice to use it, it's not mandatory.

- When driving on the inner lane, you ALWAYS have to give way to drivers on the outer lane. If you are approaching to your exit and cannot change to the outer lane you should keep on turnig around until possible.

- When driving on the outer lane, use your OUTER indicator to show you are going to take the next exit. Use your INNER indicator instead to show you are NOT going to take it, but to keep on the lane a bit further. That should let drivers on the inner lane know it.

This video (in spanish, sorry) explains it quite well. Actually it makes sense: in a roundabout you should drive just like you would in a normal road, when driving on the left you should not invade the right lane:

Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gusi

Thanks for the very clear explanation.

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gusi View Post

Fred's pdf is right. I know it could be confusing at first but that's the way it works:

- Driving on the outer lane is ALWAYS, ANYTIME correct. No matter if you are taking the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th exit.

- The inner lane(s) is there for you to use it IF POSSIBLE to help traffic become more fluid. Use it only if you feel sure enough and only if you are taking 3rd, 4th or further exits. It's your choice to use it, it's not mandatory.

- When driving on the inner lane, you ALWAYS have to give way to drivers on the outer lane. If you are approaching to your exit and cannot change to the outer lane you should keep on turnig around until possible.

- When driving on the outer lane, use your OUTER indicator to show you are going to take the next exit. Use your INNER indicator instead to show you are NOT going to take it, but to keep on the lane a bit further. That should let drivers on the inner lane know it.

This video (in spanish, sorry) explains it quite well. Actually it makes sense: in a roundabout you should drive just like you would in a normal road, when driving on the left you should not invade the right lane:

a Spaniard who uses his left indicator to signal he is continuing on the roundabout, now there's something I've never seen before....

On a separate matter what is the score with people coming to more or less a standstill before a roundabout irrespective of whether there are cars on it or not. Are you taught this too, or is it as it appears that the average person about these parts cannot cope with driving and being aware of what is around them at the same time ?
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG View Post
On a separate matter what is the score with people coming to more or less a standstill before a roundabout irrespective of whether there are cars on it or not. Are you taught this too, or is it as it appears that the average person about these parts cannot cope with driving and being aware of what is around them at the same time ?
I've never come across this, must be just your parts

I find driving in Spain peaceful and easy compared to driving in London. As long as you are attentive rather than thinking about rules then it is easy

The biggest problem is foreigners and old people driving at 80kmh in the middle lane of the motorways. You dont get this away from the Costas
Old Feb 8th 2012, 10:49 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

a Spaniard who uses his left indicator to signal he is continuing on the roundabout, now there's something I've never seen before....

My understanding is that they are taught to stop.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
I've never come across this, must be just your parts

I find driving in Spain peaceful and easy compared to driving in London. As long as you are attentive rather than thinking about rules then it is easy

The biggest problem is foreigners and old people driving at 80kmh in the middle lane of the motorways. You dont get this away from the Costas
the biggest problem around my way are the overloaded Moroccan cars driven by someone trying to make the ferry from Algeciras...lane discipline from these types of road user not only relies on the driver's ability to control his car but also his ability to stay awake for the duration of the roundabout...

You can avoid most other dangerous situations by driving faster and in the left hand lane, especially on the N340/A7 where I find driving at 80/90 in the right hand lane to be a constant game of dodging joining traffic from the right and sudden lane changes from the left wishing to depart at an exit they have not left themselves enough time to reach safely. Again at roundabouts, floor the accelerator to put yourself clear of the guy on your inside at the entrance to the roundabout or hit the brake and sit behind him until after it is usually the best ways to avoid trouble
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

the biggest problem around my way are the overloaded Moroccan cars driven by someone trying to make the ferry from Algeciras...lane discipline from these types of road user not only relies on the driver's ability to control his car but also his ability to stay awake for the duration of the roundabout...

You can avoid most other dangerous situations by driving faster and in the left hand lane, especially on the N340/A7 where I find driving at 80/90 in the right hand lane to be a constant game of dodging joining traffic from the right and sudden lane changes from the left wishing to depart at an exit they have not left themselves enough time to reach safely. Again at roundabouts, floor the accelerator to put yourself clear of the guy on your inside at the entrance to the roundabout or hit the brake and sit behind him until after it is usually the best ways to avoid trouble
The A7 between Fuengirola and Marbella is the worst stretch of motorway in Spain. You have to stay on the left lane because of all the (probably illegal) slip roads to shops/urbanisations every few hundred metres. Its probably for the best that the speed limit is now 80 on here

If in a rush I get the toll road, takes half the time and no stress
Old Feb 8th 2012, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Very few Spaniards stay in the right / left / innside or outside lanes at roundabouts.
They straight line them, often going over the island itself

However if you imagine a simple roundabout as a crossroads ( i.e. with the island removed ) ask yourself where you would position yourself to make the various options available.
I certainly wouldn't be in the righthand lane to turn left.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

Some roundabouts have a stop sign on one or more of the entrances to the roundabout - there is one of those in Estepona - and the police very oftern sit waiting for all those who don't stop and pull them over and fine them.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Gusi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tolly View Post
Some roundabouts have a stop sign on one or more of the entrances to the roundabout - there is one of those in Estepona - and the police very oftern sit waiting for all those who don't stop and pull them over and fine them.
Some have a stop, but most have a "Give way" signal, on a post, on the ground or both. That's why we slow down. Remember a car already in the roundabout has preference over any incoming car.

They straight line them, often going over the island itself
Very true.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is one near me that has give way on the roundabout and free entry ! confuses a few that does.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:54 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The nomenclature can be confusing. Which is the 'outside' lane for instance? I prefer tight lane and wide lane.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 5:41 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2P_ntBAQPds
Thanks for the info Gusi & I have just posted this onto a UK bikers site to assist them when visiting here.
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tolly View Post
when the Guardia leave that particular roundabout the hookers take over..both will not hesitate to screw you for money. There is no reason for a stop sign to be there, since there is perfectly clear vision of oncoming traffic, apart from generating revenue or amusing bored trafico officers
Old Feb 8th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Some have a stop, but most have a "Give way" signal, on a post, on the ground or both. That's why we slow down. Remember a car already in the roundabout has preference over any incoming car.
I can understand slowing down or even coming to a stop if there is traffic on the roundabout. The real point of my original observation is that they seem to slow down far more than they need to even if there is no traffic on or approaching the roundabout

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.