British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spain has not expelled any Brits! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spain-has-not-expelled-any-brits-948026/)

dave7777 May 10th 2023 5:21 pm

Re: Spain has not expelled any Brits!

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 13191929)
Whether it's a good or bad thing I suppose depends on ones personal situation . I guess many would say if they have bothered to comply re Schengen rules or residency why should others just be allowed to ignore the rules. Of course if I was living under the radar I would think it a good thing. It makes a mockery of laws / rules if the border officials ignore there own rules, what's the point of having them?

At a pure guess, maybe Spain has taken the choice to be "flexible" when checking UK citizens 90/180 travel as they fear it could hurt the tourism economy, with not just second home owners spending money here, but general tourists also. Just a guess, no idea really

bobd22 May 10th 2023 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by dave7777 (Post 13191930)
At a pure guess, maybe Spain has taken the choice to be "flexible" when checking UK citizens 90/180 travel as they fear it could hurt the tourism economy, with not just second home owners spending money here, but general tourists also. Just a guess, no idea really

I think you are right it comes down to self interest re tourism. Thing is though they signed up to the Schengen rules and ignoring them makes a mockery of the rules. I suppose it would take the EU to make Spain enforce the rules they have agreed to. I guess the EU either isn't aware or ignores the issue itself? I can see though why people who do comply feel frustrated that others get away with not complying. I guess many thought people wouldn't get away with being under the radar as many did pre brexit , reality is it would seem little has changed.

dave7777 May 10th 2023 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 13191931)
I think you are right it comes down to self interest re tourism. Thing is though they signed up to the Schengen rules and ignoring them makes a mockery of the rules. I suppose it would take the EU to make Spain enforce the rules they have agreed to. I guess the EU either isn't aware or ignores the issue itself? I can see though why people who do comply feel frustrated that others get away with not complying. I guess many thought people wouldn't get away with being under the radar as many did pre brexit , reality is it would seem little has changed.

I would think its doubtful the EU are unaware. I am sure i read somewhere (could be wrong) Spain wanted to change the rules for UK visitors to 180/360, but the EU wouldn't allow it? Maybe its just a thing the EU are allowing to happen, to satisfy Spain's needs.

Dxf May 10th 2023 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by dave7777 (Post 13191938)
I would think its doubtful the EU are unaware. I am sure i read somewhere (could be wrong) Spain wanted to change the rules for UK visitors to 180/360, but the EU wouldn't allow it? Maybe its just a thing the EU are allowing to happen, to satisfy Spain's needs.

Hola,
Yes, you are indeed correct in that Spain, amongst others, would like the rules changed. However, when the electronic system in in force, there will be no chance of anyone overstaying without being noticed so the EU are simply not doing anything until the new electronic system is in place

Davexf

dave7777 May 10th 2023 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 13191941)
Hola,
Yes, you are indeed correct in that Spain, amongst others, would like the rules changed. However, when the electronic system in in force, there will be no chance of anyone overstaying without being noticed so the EU are simply not doing anything until the new electronic system is in place

Davexf

Some time next year? the year after? etc etc
Isn't the UK's similar (of course smaller) system beginning this year?

Red Eric May 10th 2023 6:21 pm

I am of the opinion that things probably will change with the introduction of the EU-wide Entry / Exit System, since countries are going to be expected to act on infringements and vigilance on compliance will be possible. An enormous amount of money and effort has been expended on the project, so surely it can't all be for nothing.

On the other hand, I don't see how ordinary tourism would be severely adversely affected if that does become the case. Surely there can't be that many genuine tourists who have both the time and the means to be away from home for months on end. The vast majority of visitors, and the revenue they generate, would surely come from people spending between a few days and a fortnight in the country. That is just a wild assumption on my part, though.

This is a bit old (2015) but has some bearing on the topic under discussion and how it's dealt with in each of the member states, so yes, the EU is clearly aware of what goes on (as one would expect, even without the existence of such a published report) :

Council of The European Union - Overstayers in the EU

dave7777 May 10th 2023 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13191943)
I am of the opinion that things probably will change with the introduction of the EU-wide Entry / Exit System, since countries are going to be expected to act on infringements and vigilance on compliance will be possible. An enormous amount of money and effort has been expended on the project, so surely it can't all be for nothing.

On the other hand, I don't see how ordinary tourism would be severely adversely affected if that does become the case. Surely there can't be that many genuine tourists who have both the time and the means to be away from home for months on end. The vast majority of visitors, and the revenue they generate, would surely come from people spending between a few days and a fortnight in the country. That is just a wild assumption on my part, though.

This is a bit old (2015) but has some bearing on the topic under discussion and how it's dealt with in each of the member states, so yes, the EU is clearly aware of what goes on (as one would expect, even without the existence of such a published report) :

Council of The European Union - Overstayers in the EU

Certainly I get your point, But, some tourists when faced with having to get an ETA for EU tourism may choose to spend their money elsewhere? who knows. I suspect the majority of people it would affect are retired couples looking to spend the colder months in their second homes, which, I would have thought is of a reasonable benefit to the Spanish economy. People with more disposable income. who would spend 5 or 6months here pre Brexit.

Red Eric May 10th 2023 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by dave7777 (Post 13191945)
Certainly I get your point, But, some tourists when faced with having to get an ETA for EU tourism may choose to spend their money elsewhere? who knows.

Possibly, but that's a bit of a separate issue from whether, having got the documents they need in order to travel, they are picked up for overstaying and how that might be dealt with when there's a big red alert recorded on a sytem which presents it to every border officer every time that individual crosses the external Schengen border.

Originally Posted by dave7777 (Post 13191945)
I suspect the majority of people it would affect are retired couples looking to spend the colder months in their second homes, which, I would have thought is of a reasonable benefit to the Spanish economy. People with more disposable income. who would spend 5 or 6months here pre Brexit.

If that really is a major concern to the Spanish government, they are at liberty to create a national visa for extension of stay for that purpose.

dave7777 May 10th 2023 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13191946)

If that really is a major concern to the Spanish government, they are at liberty to create a national visa for extension of stay for that purpose.

Who knows, maybe they will when the ETA system is up and running, and for now they are prepared to look the other way. Tine will tell

growinspain May 10th 2023 7:53 pm

Since you all like to quote facts and figures can someone find the percentage of GDP - yearly - for Brit tourasses in Spain? 0,05%? 1% LoL?

dave7777 May 10th 2023 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by growinspain (Post 13191959)
Since you all like to quote facts and figures can someone find the percentage of GDP - yearly - for Brit tourasses in Spain? 0,05%? 1% LoL?

What? If i understand you correctly, UK tourism added 17.16 billion Euros to Spain's economy in 2022 according to Statista, no idea about GDP (Look yourself) but its a lot of money
Bearing in mind as far as I can see, Spain's defence budget is 12.5 billion Euros.

Red Eric May 10th 2023 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by dave7777 (Post 13191960)
What? If i understand you correctly, UK tourism added 17.16 billion Euros to Spain's economy in 2022 according to Statista, no idea about GDP (Look yourself) but its a lot of money
Bearing in mind as far as I can see, Spain's defence budget is 12.5 billion Euros.

:goodpost:

If you could split out the amount contributed by 90+ days' tourists, that would be even better :)

Red Eric May 10th 2023 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 13191907)
[...]No wonder convicted murders etc can move around the EU and even fly into Ireland (and the UK when it was part of the EU) and face no recriminations).
There have been documented cases of this actually happening and them having a no fly ban.

There is a facility to refuse entry to persons who might represent a danger to the public, so where a border control exists between member states (as is the case for non-Schengen states such as Ireland (and the UK, when it was a member)), that is eminently enforceable, assuming border control officers have the relevant information at their fingertips.

That doesn't apply at borders within the Schengen area, of course, given the abolition of border controls in that region.

dave7777 May 10th 2023 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13191963)
:goodpost:

If you could split out the amount contributed by 90+ days' tourists, that would be even better :)

Maybe tomorrow ;)

DLC May 10th 2023 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 13191894)
I read somewhere weeks ago about this and Sweden has expelled most Brits for not complying with residence rules compared to any other EU country - sorry don't have a link for that.

There's a link here posted by an all-round great chap.