Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sorry, but another Telefonica query

Sorry, but another Telefonica query

Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough
Default Sorry, but another Telefonica query

Hi

We have lived here for nearly 6 years, with very little problems with Telefonica. Well it did take 3 months to get the telephone laid on, but that is another story.

We live in a small village in the south of Jaén province, where we can only have dial-up internet. I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance of ADSL. Our problems have started quite recently - we are on a 24/7 internet rate and recently it can take ages to obtain a line and when one does, the speed rate is very low; under 35 Kbps, when usually it is anywhere between 38 and 46 Kbps and has been at these higher speeds for the last 6 years.

I am just wondering if anyone else who may be on dial-up are having similar problems. And before anyone says, I am aware the signals are being distributed over copper wiring. Same with our telephone - it takes ages to get a line because of continual hissing. Mind you - it has not helped that someone has dropped the telephone a few times recently - too much vino, I think.

Regards

Richard
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:24 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry, but another Telefonica query

Hi Richard.
Had a similar problem so started calling 1004, I told them that the connection to the house was very old and needed changing, eventually they did change it but it turned out it was a connection in a big exchange box in the village (no charge BTW)
Switched to ADSL now on the 24.90eu offer they had last July, I will see what deal I can get if they attempt to raise the price in August.
(have they told you that ADSL is unavailable)

Brian
Old Jun 13th 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

Hi Brian

With reference to our receiving ADSL, I have checked via the Telefonica website, which informed me there would be no ADSL, but can have ISDN/IDSN.

Our village, Sabariego is a satellite village of Alcaudete, where of course there is ADSL, but as I said previously, the chances of ADSL here is virtually nil. Over the next few weeks, I am going to try and and find out about wi/fi. It would be lovely to have something like wimax, where the signal can bend around the hills.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I was in a similar situation but was stuck with a Trac phone! I now have a wireless router from Vodafone that uses the 3g network. I get a 4 Gig allowance at 3 meg, after which the speed drops to 128k, but still far better than dial up, for €39 a month.
See;-

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 14th 2009 at 9:23 am. Reason: Pop the vodophone link up then
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I was in a similar situation but was stuck with a Trac phone! I now have a wireless router from Vodafone that uses the 3g network. I get a 4 Gig allowance at 3 meg, after which the speed drops to 128k, but still far better than dial up, for €39 a month.
See;-
(SNIP)
Dead link VT

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jun 14th 2009 at 9:30 am. Reason: Link to blocked site
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Dead link VT
Works fine for me. The info is also on the vodafone.es site.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi
Thank you the idea of Mobile Wireless but where we are, we cannot obtain a proper signal. We have to walk about 100 metres into the campo to get a decent signal.
Regards
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Hi
Thank you the idea of Mobile Wireless but where we are, we cannot obtain a proper signal. We have to walk about 100 metres into the campo to get a decent signal.
Regards
I can't get a decent signal on a mobile here either! The dongles and routers are optimised and work better than mobiles.
It has to be worth a go? You even have 15 days to return the equipment and cancel if it doesn't work.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Also, have you asked Telefonica about ADSL Rural? You could also do a Google search fro TooWay Broadband which isn't horrendously expensive and Iberbanda may operate in your area as well.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

ricardoylucia;

true ISDN runs over fiber optical cabling from your place to the nearest telephone exchange at an horrendous cost to a normal person, if you have a copper line into the house there is no real reason why ADSL cannot be implemented unless the exchange is still Analogue switching.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:41 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We have lived here for nearly 6 years, with very little problems with Telefonica. Well it did take 3 months to get the telephone laid on, but that is another story.

We live in a small village in the south of Jaén province, where we can only have dial-up internet. I don't think there is a cat in hell's chance of ADSL. Our problems have started quite recently - we are on a 24/7 internet rate and recently it can take ages to obtain a line and when one does, the speed rate is very low; under 35 Kbps, when usually it is anywhere between 38 and 46 Kbps and has been at these higher speeds for the last 6 years.

I am just wondering if anyone else who may be on dial-up are having similar problems. And before anyone says, I am aware the signals are being distributed over copper wiring. Same with our telephone - it takes ages to get a line because of continual hissing. Mind you - it has not helped that someone has dropped the telephone a few times recently - too much vino, I think.

Regards

Richard

Put your phone number in this little box and see if you can get ADSL
http://www.telefonicaonline.com/on/p...rvlet/no32hojg
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by valenciatim
See;-

(SNIP)
http://tienda.vodafone.es/do/error/n...3659DF93.node2

Sorry, it's not as helpful as they are out of stock!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

UPDATE

We visited our English Centre in Alcala la Real earlier today and spoke with the head honcho. He knows of the problems with our village, Sabariego.

He said he has someone visiting him this Wednesday to talk about Vodafone booster routers, which I imagine is the same as Valenciatim mentioned earlier.

Barry, who runs the centre, said that the centre pays for 10meg but is lucky to receive 3meg. Typical Telefonica. He gave me a quick rundown, saying if we can find a Vodafone signal on our land, we then can install a small mast plus booster and power cable plus a receiver dongle for the computer, we should be in business.

VALENCIATIM What were the set up costs?

Shall find out more when we see Barry again on Friday.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

UPDATE

We visited our English Centre in Alcala la Real earlier today and spoke with the head honcho. He knows of the problems with our village, Sabariego.

He said he has someone visiting him this Wednesday to talk about Vodafone booster routers, which I imagine is the same as Valenciatim mentioned earlier.

Barry, who runs the centre, said that the centre pays for 10meg but is lucky to receive 3meg. Typical Telefonica. He gave me a quick rundown, saying if we can find a Vodafone signal on our land, we then can install a small mast plus booster and power cable plus a receiver dongle for the computer, we should be in business.

VALENCIATIM What were the set up costs?

Shall find out more when we see Barry again on Friday.
€29 for the router! Then ten minutes to configure it!