Reload this Page >

SORN / keeping vehicle off road in Spain

SORN / keeping vehicle off road in Spain

Old Oct 31st 2008, 4:45 pm
Just Joined

laura75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SORN / keeping vehicle off road in Spain

Hello,
Can you give me some advice? I intend to go back to the UK for a while and want to keep my Spanish van off road, on private land, out of use. Is there something like a UK SORN notice here in Spain that I need to apply for? And can I avoid doing the ITV test, paying the road tax, and the insurance, during the time it is out of use?
Any advice, or suggestions on where to find the answers, would be most appreciated.
Regards, Laura
Old Oct 31st 2008, 5:06 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SORN / keeping vehicle off road in Spain

Originally Posted by laura75
Hello,
Can you give me some advice? I intend to go back to the UK for a while and want to keep my Spanish van off road, on private land, out of use. Is there something like a UK SORN notice here in Spain that I need to apply for? And can I avoid doing the ITV test, paying the road tax, and the insurance, during the time it is out of use?
Any advice, or suggestions on where to find the answers, would be most appreciated.
Regards, Laura
you pay the tax for owning the van.its not road tax same as uk.so even if you lock it away you will still have to pay at the end of the day for as long as its in your name.(thats why the paper work is important when you sell it).take it for a test when you want to use it again it dosnt matter.cancel your insurance renewal. if its soon then you still have another years no claims.renew it when you get back.take it for a test and pay your outstanding tax.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

G D G Moran is an unknown quantity at this point

In the circumstances that you describe you file a baja for the car. The link below is to the relevant dgt page. A lawyer or gestor should be able to process this for you or you would present the papers in person at trafico.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...hiculos/bajas/

G Morán
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

There is no such thing as Sorn in Spain the car must have insurance all the time and tax.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:30 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
There is no such thing as Sorn in Spain the car must have insurance all the time and tax.
you dont half complicate things.I havent paid tax on my car for 4 years.but at the end of the day it must be paid.Ive had gaps of over 6 months on my mots.and just gone in and mot.d it.Ive had a car not insured or taxed for 2 years,(standing on private land)and had to pay the tax to date before I could scrap it.none of this was a problem in any way
Old Nov 1st 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

G D G Moran is an unknown quantity at this point

As I explained above you simply file a baja with trafico. There is no requirement that the car be insured at all times if it is not on public roads and the baja wil relieve you of tax obligations. The age of the car will obviously determine if an ITV is required (again to legally use the car on public roads).

The dgt website - whilst in Spanish - explains much of the relevant procedures.

G Morán
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:16 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=G D G Moran;6930798]As I explained above you simply file a baja with trafico. There is no requirement that the car be insured at all times if it is not on public roads and the baja wil relieve you of tax obligations. The age of the car will obviously determine if an ITV is required (again to legally use the car on public roads).

The dgt website - whilst in Spanish - explains much of the relevant procedures.

In my case it wasnt worth me messing about to fill in forms and all the hassel of taking them to traffic or paying some one to do all the paperwork.the end taxes were about 120 euro.I suppose it would be different if I was going back to uk for for a good few years.but then why keep the car.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

laura75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much to you all. Not sure whether I'll choose to pay the tax or complete the forms at this stage as I don't know yet how long I'll be away.

Snip, no advertising allowed on this forum, but you can put it in the classifieds forum.

Last edited by jdr; Nov 1st 2008 at 7:42 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:00 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

I am getting VERY conflicting information from insurance companies and from the local police relating to the need to insure and off the road car in Valencia Province.

The situation is that a friend has a spanish plated car locked in his garage in Javea. His insurance company insists he has to reinsure the car each year even though it has not been used for over a year and is unlikely to be used for a further 12 months.

I contacted my own insurance company who say there is no such requirement to reinsure in these circumstances.

I also contacted the local police this morning who said that there is no need to insure the car in these circumstances and furthermore he could even save on the tax by declaring the vehicle is off the road.

OK so who is right? and does an insurance company have the right to insist on insurance being paid with the implied threat of "legal action" if this is not done?

I am sure there must be a system which allows cars to be taken off the road just as in the UK but it does not seem at all clear exactly what the legal requirements are - after all even the insurance companies themselves seemingly can't agree!!!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

BMC1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joddle
The situation is that a friend has a spanish plated car locked in his garage in Javea. His insurance company insists he has to reinsure the car each year even though it has not been used for over a year and is unlikely to be used for a further 12 months.
Wonder why they would say such a thing
Old Feb 9th 2009, 5:10 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joddle
does an insurance company have the right to insist on insurance being paid with the implied threat of "legal action" if this is not done?
Of course not, think about it!
One can choose to insure or not to insure, one can change insurers, one can cancel a policy...it ain't the insurance company's car is it?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 6:10 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Of course not, think about it!
One can choose to insure or not to insure, one can change insurers, one can cancel a policy...it ain't the insurance company's car is it?
I totally agree with your logic BUT several insurance companies have today said the same thing -- is it - bluff scam - or is there something in it?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If it`s off the road and not insured what happens if it burns or gets nicked ?
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Our insurance company insisted our BM was insured even though it was locked in our garage and not being used, anyway now ben sold on, but pass on who is right.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:08 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If it`s off the road and not insured what happens if it burns or gets nicked ?
Well, that's the risk you take if you choose not to have it insured!! There are drivers with cars ON the road with no insurance, never mind OFF the road!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.