Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Something to make you smile

Something to make you smile

Old Nov 12th 2018, 9:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Something to make you smile

I have advertised a few things that I wish to sell and one potential buyerr expects me to drive almost 400 kms each way to take it to them and the item is being sold for 25 euros...….go figure their mentality.

Rosemary

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 12th 2018 at 11:40 am.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Something to make you smile

Hope you stayed at home!
Old Nov 13th 2018, 4:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Hope you stayed at home!
I politely said that it was not possible but really I wanted to ask which planet they were from.

Rosemary
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:23 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I politely said that it was not possible but really I wanted to ask which planet they were from.

Rosemary
The mind boggles sometimes. Having just moved house we had around 350 cardboard cartons and a slew of wrapping paper to dispose of. OH put messages up on the local 'community website', we got three potential takers, sure enough one of those asked 'can you deliver?'
Old Nov 18th 2018, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
I really don't think Spanish people generally have any idea about 2nd hand dealing. They've never been used to it. Until about a generation ago, or less, it was beneath their dignity to buy anything used. Luckily things have changed, but the mentality and mindset takes a long time to adjust. I think it says something about the Spanish character; pride plays a big part.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
I really don't think Spanish people generally have any idea about 2nd hand dealing. They've never been used to it. Until about a generation ago, or less, it was beneath their dignity to buy anything used. Luckily things have changed, but the mentality and mindset takes a long time to adjust. I think it says something about the Spanish character; pride plays a big part.
I agree with you. No interest at all has been shown in my area but loads from other distant places in Spain which is a shame because many of the things may be second hand but they have never been used hence why I decided to try selling them to clear space in the house.

Rosemary
Old Nov 18th 2018, 2:16 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
The mind boggles sometimes. Having just moved house we had around 350 cardboard cartons and a slew of wrapping paper to dispose of. OH put messages up on the local 'community website', we got three potential takers, sure enough one of those asked 'can you deliver?'
I found the same in the UK. Trying to sell stuff was hopeless, and even giving it away was difficult - couple of examples:

Pet travel crate we'd used to fly our goldie from Oz to the UK - had all the bells and whistles, pristine condition, didn't get an offer even when I reduced it to 20 quid. Animal shelters wanted it delivered which we couldn't do. Ended up giving it away to a farmer for his chickens.

A set of brand new bespoke velvet curtains with thermal backing, to fit a large bay window. Bloody things cost me £600. No takers at £90, or £70, or £50, or £20. Charity shop didn't want them - 'too big'. Put them on Gumtree for free - one wanted me to 'hold' them for 4 months until they moved into their new house, another wanted them delivered 50 miles away.

A front garden of those decorative pebbles so loved by some people in the UK and expensive to buy - put them on Gumtree for free - 'you bag, you take'. Nope, not a nibble. So Scouse bought builder's bags and bagged them all up himself - back on Gumtree for free. One caller and yes, she wanted them delivered.

Jeez, when I was first married and we were broke, I was happy with a dress for a couple of dollars from a charity shop!
Old Nov 18th 2018, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Reminds me of something I read a few years ago.
Somebody was trying to get rid of an old but working fridge, they put it outside their gate with a sign saying "Free fridge, good condition, if you want it, take it" It was there for a week nobody wanted it.
The next day they changed the sign to "For sale fridge good condition £25" and that night someone nicked it.
Old Nov 19th 2018, 2:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Reminds me of something I read a few years ago.
Somebody was trying to get rid of an old but working fridge, they put it outside their gate with a sign saying "Free fridge, good condition, if you want it, take it" It was there for a week nobody wanted it.
The next day they changed the sign to "For sale fridge good condition £25" and that night someone nicked it.

I read somewhere the other day (could have been on BE, or maybe Facebook) that the best way to get rid of anything you don't want is put it in an Amazon box and leave at the front door
Old Nov 19th 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I read somewhere the other day (could have been on BE, or maybe Facebook) that the best way to get rid of anything you don't want is put it in an Amazon box and leave at the front door
That reminds me of an incident our first Christmas here. We put up the decorations and decided that some of the things were no longer wanted so put them into a carrier and put them on our doorstep with a little sign saying free. Within a few minutes the neighbour across the street rang the bell and proceeded to tell us that we could not do this and seeing our blank faces she picked up the carrier and handed it to a child who was walking down the street. Poor child also looked blankly at her until she seemed to be telling him to go home with it.

Rosemary