Some advice

Old Dec 13th 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

johnboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some advice

Hi there,

was thinking of taking advantage of the falling house prices in Spain sometime within the next 12-18 months. I would be looking at buying a small flat that would be used as a getway every now and then and possibly longer depending on how things work out. The plan is myself and my partner would come out and have long weekends and the odd week or two when we could get the time...also family members would get the use of it too...so I would like to think it would be used a fair bit.

I would like something cheap and easy to pay off but also close to the costal places like benidorm alicante. So I could have friends/family over and make a long weekend of it ect Not clubbing I might add but just so we could take the atmosphere in and enjoy the place during the season and have a few drinks ect.

Does anyone live near these places and can you recomend a somewhere that is maybe a 20 minute drive from benidorm/alicante?

Torrevieja has a few properties for sale at the moment and 2 bed flats are priced about €45000-50000 I would like to maybe pay about that price or less if possible. also Calpe has some flats for about the same price...is there anywhere in between where I should be looking?

We would love to live in Spain eventually but right now just looking to place my hat!

any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:49 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some advice

Hi

Firstly make sure of alternate airlines or airports. I am lucky in that there are three airports within 1 1/4 hours from where I live. Should Ryanair decide not to do winter flights, I have alternatives.

Secondly, with all the problems of legal homes, do a LOT of homework - there is a lot of good advice on this forum.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Davexf
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Firstly make sure of alternate airlines or airports. I am lucky in that there are three airports within 1 1/4 hours from where I live. Should Ryanair decide not to do winter flights, I have alternatives.

Secondly, with all the problems of legal homes, do a LOT of homework - there is a lot of good advice on this forum.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Davexf
Thanks DXF,

I was possibly looking at a flat rather than a house ...I believe it would be easier, cheaper and less hassle with regards to a house with land owenership problems ect;

Any ideas of decent locations close to the costal areas? where are you living about if you dont mind me asking?
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

South of Alicante is cheaper than to the north of it, in areas like La Marina, Torrevieja and Orhuela Costa. As long as you’re not right next to the sea, you can get a small apartment for around 60K. It will be cheap and cheerful at that price with lots of Brit neighbours and two airports within easy reach, both with daily flights to the UK.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:39 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnboy1
Hi there,

was thinking of taking advantage of the falling house prices in Spain sometime within the next 12-18 months. I would be looking at buying a small flat that would be used as a getway every now and then and possibly longer depending on how things work out. The plan is myself and my partner would come out and have long weekends and the odd week or two when we could get the time...also family members would get the use of it too...so I would like to think it would be used a fair bit.

I would like something cheap and easy to pay off but also close to the costal places like benidorm alicante. So I could have friends/family over and make a long weekend of it ect Not clubbing I might add but just so we could take the atmosphere in and enjoy the place during the season and have a few drinks ect.

Does anyone live near these places and can you recomend a somewhere that is maybe a 20 minute drive from benidorm/alicante?

Torrevieja has a few properties for sale at the moment and 2 bed flats are priced about €45000-50000 I would like to maybe pay about that price or less if possible. also Calpe has some flats for about the same price...is there anywhere in between where I should be looking?

We would love to live in Spain eventually but right now just looking to place my hat!

any help would be appreciated.

Take a look at Orxeta, just outside Villajoiosa, nice village and a beautiful fishing lake with a very good restaurant/bar. Mix of expats and Spanish but a nice mix Orxeta is Spanish for Orchard and there is a huge orchard ... you can collect the fruit but only take as much as you can carry in your hands Oranges, lemons, persimon, figs A big plus is the internet is free to use in the townhall if you live in the village About 20 mins from Benidorm and 5 mins from the beach at Villajoiosa. We lived there for a year before moving back to England and made many friends there.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 9:42 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Johnboy1

I am the other side of Spain on the Costa de la Luz (from Portugal round to Gibraltar) - but what I said is for anywhere in Spain

Davexf
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

cymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura aboutcymruambyth has a spectacular aura about

Wherever you decide, make sure you take into account the cost of Community Fees (which can be a hefty chunk each year in some cases). You would be obliged to live your life [in your apartment] in accordance with the rulings of the Community of Owners [Horizontal Property Act] and depending on the President (some have been in the position for years and see themselves as all powerful) this can be [very] restrictive (limitations on what you can and can't do on the outside of your property, pool regulations, hanging of towels on railings, noise after dark etc etc). Good luck in your search, myself I prefer the wonderful mountains.....
Old Dec 14th 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Orxeta is Spanish for Orchard .
No it isnt

Orxeta must mean Orchard in Valenciano

There is no such word in Spanish, they use the more general word "huerto", or "manzanar" if for apple trees
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cymruambyth
Wherever you decide, make sure you take into account the cost of Community Fees (which can be a hefty chunk each year in some cases). You would be obliged to live your life [in your apartment] in accordance with the rulings of the Community of Owners [Horizontal Property Act] and depending on the President (some have been in the position for years and see themselves as all powerful) this can be [very] restrictive (limitations on what you can and can't do on the outside of your property, pool regulations, hanging of towels on railings, noise after dark etc etc). Good luck in your search, myself I prefer the wonderful mountains.....
Thanks for the heads up. I never knew about commuinty fees? do you have an example of what to expect with regards to how much you would have to pay? Is it the equivelant of council tax? is it monthly?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HBG
South of Alicante is cheaper than to the north of it, in areas like La Marina, Torrevieja and Orhuela Costa. As long as you’re not right next to the sea, you can get a small apartment for around 60K. It will be cheap and cheerful at that price with lots of Brit neighbours and two airports within easy reach, both with daily flights to the UK.
Thanks for the reply.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-...-28196989.html

Looks like a little cracker for the price...an extra bedroom would have been nice... still this is the type of value that makes it attractive.

I actually live in a Flat in Edinburgh and it' cost well over £100k and then you get hammered for Coucil tax, Income tax, NI, car tax, Fuel prices, Parking is a no no and parking tickets for even looking like you might park illegaly.... and on top of that the quality of life is poor as is the weather.

I realise they will have all these taxes in spain but the life style and quality of living is better....so you don't mind paying for it.

Even just having somewhere to escape too everyone so often would be a relief.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I'd rent for what you it for. The cheapest flat may well be 40k but have you seen them, the areas look more like war zones & you'd probably be chatting to yr neighbours about Jeremy Kyle.

The cheapest annual running costs of a flat are going to be 1k e plus finance, or lost interest if a cash buyer. That's going to pay for a few holidays & no hassle.

I'd only buy one for 20ke in a spanish town, they can't much cheaper & you may make a few quid.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by poolboy
Hi, I'd rent for what you it for. The cheapest flat may well be 40k but have you seen them, the areas look more like war zones & you'd probably be chatting to yr neighbours about Jeremy Kyle.

The cheapest annual running costs of a flat are going to be 1k e plus finance, or lost interest if a cash buyer. That's going to pay for a few holidays & no hassle.

I'd only buy one for 20ke in a spanish town, they can't much cheaper & you may make a few quid.
Thaks for the advice. I was thinking that maybe later down the road in life that I could spend more time and possibly even retire in spain...So buying in the near future would mean that was sorted and at a good price too.

I see where your comming from though. Makes sense. are the nieghbour hoods that bad...jez kyle is just wrong!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

hi, the property linked to seems good for 50ke, but think if you were buying a property in UK for 40k gbp - where would it be & what would the local shops be like. If that's where you aspire to be go for it.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by poolboy
hi, the property linked to seems good for 50ke, but think if you were buying a property in UK for 40k gbp - where would it be & what would the local shops be like. If that's where you aspire to be go for it.
I get what your saying. So....they are not the bargains they seem. Allthough saying that you would not get a property like that in edinburgh for that price...even in a rough area lol.

well I guess making time for doing some home work and then visiting the areas of interest would be worth it's weight in gold. Just trying to get the overall picture of what's involved.

thanks for your replies.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 2:38 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The apartment described in the link is in a fairly isolated area, and you would definitely need a car to get to the beach, airport or town. Both Orihuela and Torrevieja would be a good 20-minute car journey away, a bit like driving from Edinburgh to Linlithgow, without the motorway.

Sorry to be so negative, but such a location wouldn’t be feasible for weekends away from Edinburgh, you would be crippled by airfares and car hire costs at this end. On the upside, it is a lot warmer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.