Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Solyaires Internet

Solyaires Internet

Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Solyaires Internet

Any one got any knowledge of these guys?

They claim to offer a wifi internet system for campo dwellers. Presumably some sort of central point with repeaters scattered around the campo.

They also offer a satellite internet system which looks very interesting, good speeds for a good price.
However, I haven't heard anything good about satellite internet, but maybe that's all changed these days?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 10:58 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solyaires Internet

Originally Posted by billgates
Any one got any knowledge of these guys?

They claim to offer a wifi internet system for campo dwellers. Presumably some sort of central point with repeaters scattered around the campo.

They also offer a satellite internet system which looks very interesting, good speeds for a good price.
However, I haven't heard anything good about satellite internet, but maybe that's all changed these days?
I haven't personally heard of them but would just update you on our friends problems.

They live just 2Km outside of a largish town but in a hollow by the river. They tried WiMAX (WiFi internet) but couldn't get a signal despite 3 separate companies making all sorts of promises. WiMAX usually has fibre optic cable as it's base system and then uses masts to pass the signal on to customers. That's fine if you are in direct sight of one of their masts.

Satellite internet is mainly supplied by Tooway (perhaps as much as 90% of the systems). We have had enormous problems finding an installer. Many have said 'not a problem' and then either cried off or not called us back. Many satellite systems offer a fixed download limit which is quite low. However, there are a few that have no limits and also no "fair usage policy". All companies were offering 20meg download speed and 6meg upload - not surprising when they are all using the Tooway system.

So, don't believe what people say until you actually see it working - certainly don't part with any money upfront!

Best of luck.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I haven't personally heard of them but would just update you on our friends problems.

They live just 2Km outside of a largish town but in a hollow by the river. They tried WiMAX (WiFi internet) but couldn't get a signal despite 3 separate companies making all sorts of promises. WiMAX usually has fibre optic cable as it's base system and then uses masts to pass the signal on to customers. That's fine if you are in direct sight of one of their masts.

Satellite internet is mainly supplied by Tooway (perhaps as much as 90% of the systems). We have had enormous problems finding an installer. Many have said 'not a problem' and then either cried off or not called us back. Many satellite systems offer a fixed download limit which is quite low. However, there are a few that have no limits and also no "fair usage policy". All companies were offering 20meg download speed and 6meg upload - not surprising when they are all using the Tooway system.

So, don't believe what people say until you actually see it working - certainly don't part with any money upfront!

Best of luck.
Thanks for that.
Did you ever get your satellite system installed or are you still searching for an installer?
Reliability is my biggest concern. I currently use Orange 3g and it's just not reliable enough. It's fast enough when it gets a good signal but it's just too inconsistent.

I had thought that satellite internet was way more expensive but it might work out cheaper than my 3g contract. If it's reliable.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:38 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I'm finding Orange 3G quite acceptable where we are (centre of village) but I tried it near Estepona the other day and it was awful - so it appears to be very specific to location.

We have friends using Satellite internet (Tooway) and it works well.

Most of the WiMAX systems I know of are very restricted in their coverage - often not much more than one town and its immediate vicinity. We get Iberbanda here but no other that I am aware of.

I have not heard of Solyaires around here in fact their website implies that they only cover parts of the Costa Tropical.

My problem is not so much coverage but I like pay as you go with unlimited download as I will be coming and going a lot and I don't want to pay for the time I'm not here. These local WiMAX outfits seem to have got that covered.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Their site proposes their system as a way to get BBC and ITV and further down says that they do not support IPTV.

Very odd!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Wimax is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes very odd when i look at that side it says :
To get your BBC. TV. Channels back !

Please click here !

There is a link wich brings you to the bbcforexpats.com side

Old Apr 24th 2014, 5:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wimax
Yes very odd when i look at that side it says :
To get your BBC. TV. Channels back !

Please click here !

There is a link wich brings you to the bbcforexpats.com side

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary