British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Solar water heaters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/solar-water-heaters-739706/)

dorishaslop Nov 22nd 2011 10:14 am

Solar water heaters

Hi again Amigos

I'm here in Spain on my house sit, the owner has gone away and when she was showing me round the house she told me about this contraption on the solarium which is an Allott ecosense system, she said she had just covered it up with black bin bags but I was so entranced by the scenery I wasn't listening. Since she has gone there has been no hot water and no sign of an immersion heater :( Well it's now five days of cold showers and I'm getting fed up with it.
Should I take the black covering off this thing on the roof as I am sure that's a solar powered water heater.
what do you think???

fionamw Nov 22nd 2011 2:22 pm

Re: Solar water heaters

Originally Posted by dorishaslop (Post 9747714)
Hi again Amigos

I'm here in Spain on my house sit, the owner has gone away and when she was showing me round the house she told me about this contraption on the solarium which is an Allott ecosense system, she said she had just covered it up with black bin bags but I was so entranced by the scenery I wasn't listening. Since she has gone there has been no hot water and no sign of an immersion heater :( Well it's now five days of cold showers and I'm getting fed up with it.
Should I take the black covering off this thing on the roof as I am sure that's a solar powered water heater.
what do you think???

I think first point, make it a learning curve to get written info from any future owners about this kind of detail !! Horrible thought five days without hot water:eek:
Haven't you got a contact number for her/them?
Would any neighbours know the system? I'd have thought even if they DO have solar heating there would be a back-up electric or gas system..... if it was me I'd maybe even follow pipework or something equally bizarre. Not sure about uncovering the black stuff, if it was heating why would they have it covered?? good luck. There are folk on here who have and know about solar systems so let's hope they join in for your sake;)

dorishaslop Nov 22nd 2011 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 9748140)
I think first point, make it a learning curve to get written info from any future owners about this kind of detail !! Horrible thought five days without hot water:eek:
Haven't you got a contact number for her/them?
Would any neighbours know the system? I'd have thought even if they DO have solar heating there would be a back-up electric or gas system..... if it was me I'd maybe even follow pipework or something equally bizarre. Not sure about uncovering the black stuff, if it was heating why would they have it covered?? good luck. There are folk on here who have and know about solar systems so let's hope they join in for your sake;)

Thanks Fiona,

Turns out that the thing on the roof is a solar water heater but it overheats apparently. The lady took my mobile number down wrong so that explained why she hadn't been in touch, I thought I'd been abandoned :(
We had a thunderstorm the other night and that was the problem, the pilot light on the gas boiler up on the solarium had been blown out by the wind. fortunately the lady had sent one of her friends to check on me to see if I was ok so everything is sorted now. Now pilot light is on and I have had a lovely hot bath... BLiss :thumbsup:

fionamw Nov 22nd 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by dorishaslop (Post 9748393)
Thanks Fiona,

Turns out that the thing on the roof is a solar water heater but it overheats apparently. The lady took my mobile number down wrong so that explained why she hadn't been in touch, I thought I'd been abandoned :(
We had a thunderstorm the other night and that was the problem, the pilot light on the gas boiler up on the solarium had been blown out by the wind. fortunately the lady had sent one of her friends to check on me to see if I was ok so everything is sorted now. Now pilot light is on and I have had a lovely hot bath... BLiss :thumbsup:

:) Pleased for you!