Solar panels

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Solar panels

Originally Posted by Fred James
It sounds like your pump is on far too long.

How long do you run it every day? How big is the pump in Kw or HP?

What is the use of the pool - number of swimmers and time in pool on a daily basis?

I don't think I spend more than €100 a year - probably half that as we are on the off peak tariff.
Fred do you remember the last time this question was asked on here or was it Portugal someone had done just this.

The solar voltaic panel was just enough to run the pump and was linked through a control panel to an alternative mains supply. The idea was that the pool pump was run for a period at night on low tariff mains supply and again during the day from the solar panel. This struck me as very sensible (no expensive batteries for storage) for dull days.

However the cost if my memory is correct was of the order of €3000 and that made the payback almost indefinite. Of course cost in real terms will have fallen since then but with inflation I would guess about the same.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Tell me how this makes hot water and what happens in a few months when the rads rust ?
Its what is known in sophisticated language as a Ground Source Heat Pump (google is our friend) but you are spot on chlorinated warm water would eat through the panel in quick sticks.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 7:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar panels

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Its what is known in sophisticated language as a Ground Source Heat Pump (google is our friend) but you are spot on chlorinated warm water would eat through the panel in quick sticks.
I have a little experience, I was a plumber/heating engineer for about 45 years.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdr
I have a little experience, I was a plumber/heating engineer for about 45 years.
It was rhetorical question you already knew.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Quiterio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by licinius
I'm thinking of getting a small household solar panel, even if it just powers the pool. Does anybody have personal experience of this sort of thing?
You might be interested in our experience.

We got a solar panel put on the roof 6 years ago, with a 50% grant, and this has provided all our hot water needs except for 2-3 months in the winter.

We wondered why these are not seen commonly all over Andalucia (as they are, for example, in the Greece). Why does everybody pay for hot water?

Perhaps now we know the answer. The high mineral content of the water has taken its toll on the system, and some of the connections have now failed at the supply tank. We're told that we need to replace the tank - and the cost of so doing is the same as the original installation.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quiterio
You might be interested in our experience.

We got a solar panel put on the roof 6 years ago, with a 50% grant, and this has provided all our hot water needs except for 2-3 months in the winter.

We wondered why these are not seen commonly all over Andalucia (as they are, for example, in the Greece). Why does everybody pay for hot water?

Perhaps now we know the answer. The high mineral content of the water has taken its toll on the system, and some of the connections have now failed at the supply tank. We're told that we need to replace the tank - and the cost of so doing is the same as the original installation.
There are many stories like this at the moment, people saying that it's just not cost effective. Surely a small panel just to power the pool pump would be though?????
Old Dec 24th 2011, 4:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There are many stories like this at the moment, people saying that it's just not cost effective. Surely a small panel just to power the pool pump would be though?????
It will take more than a small panel to power a pool pump which may well use 1.5kw depending on the size of the pool.

If you want to save money just cut down on the time it runs - ours is never run for more than 2 hours even in the height of summer. Most of the time it is only on for 90 minutes and it's off most of the winter.

Running it for 8 or more hours a day only applies to a heavily used pool.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 5:25 pm
thinking about it

peterni is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
I have a solar powered house, got pretty much all the gear from http://www.generador-electrico.com/ in Ronda. Pay Edwin a visit and he'll talk you through the various options and be able to show you working set-ups.
hi, been offline. just spotted this. will see if he can help on my water deposito thermal store. just cemented the roof bit so nearly ready for tubes. thanks
Old Dec 24th 2011, 5:46 pm
thinking about it

peterni is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry but obvious to me that having already discovered the hard water, that a] solar panel systems use treated water b] that fernox is used is its a closed system. do not the installers suggest/advise this?
we planned while ago to have softner system because told of the iffy water.
can i ask size of your panel astrying to work out sizing for my thermal store (for the winter heating)
Old Dec 24th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterni
can i ask size of your panel astrying to work out sizing for my thermal store (for the winter heating)
I don't have a panel I'm just considering it at the moment
Old Dec 25th 2011, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

Quiterio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by peterni
sorry but obvious to me that having already discovered the hard water, that a] solar panel systems use treated water b] that fernox is used is its a closed system. do not the installers suggest/advise this?
we planned while ago to have softner system because told of the iffy water.
Perhaps our problem was that the system wasn't closed - there being no separate indirect cylinder. The water we were using was the water that circulated through the panels.

There are 2 panels, by the way, approx 1m wide x 2m high. These were sufficient for 6 people most of the time (maybe not 6 teenagers!)
Old Dec 26th 2011, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

Solar hot water panels would be a bonus certainly in the warmer month, your not going to generate enough electrical power to directly heat the water unless you spend €€€€€ on panels.

The hot water panes are cheap to run, basically all you are doing is pumping water and not using power to directly heat the water, the panel does that for you.

I used similar when living on Cyprus for domestic hot water and it worked very well indeed. A swimming pool will hold masses of latent heat so you want to look at a good cover for the pool too so as to trap heat when the pool is not used. A good cover will keep a pool warmer for days.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Tell me how this makes hot water and what happens in a few months when the rads rust ?
As you were a plumber for 45 years I'll leave it to you to apply your vast knowledge to the problem of closed loop heating and using a properly treated water in the closed loop to prevent rustiing!
Old Dec 26th 2011, 12:28 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It will take more than a small panel to power a pool pump which may well use 1.5kw depending on the size of the pool.
Expanding on that a bit; You would probably need about 10 sq metres of panel to generate that much power together with a fairly meaty inverter. Also remember that solar panels only generate their rated power when pointing directly at the sun so they would need to be automatically orientating - probably quite expensive. You could reduce the amount of panel by using a bank of batteries. I'm no expert on this at all but in my limited experience (of solar panel generation on my boat) it quickly gets very expensive and complicated.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 1:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
As you were a plumber for 45 years I'll leave it to you to apply your vast knowledge to the problem of closed loop heating and using a properly treated water in the closed loop to prevent rustiing!
Closed loop is no problem apart from the cost of the extras you missed listing, the main problem is the tin cans under the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.