Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Software question

Software question

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Question Software question

Hi

Where in Spain can you get Windows Vista operating system in English and is it all that you want it to be??

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 5:59 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Software question

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
Hi

Where in Spain can you get Windows Vista operating system in English and is it all that you want it to be??

Get it direct from Microsoft off their webpage or from any other website that sells programs.

I haven't got it yet but I've been collecting the users guide series they've been giving with El Pais every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday and if it does "wot it sez on the tin" it certainly seems a big step up from XP.

Anyway, face it. At some point - unless you change your operating system altogether - you're going to have to get Vista.

Changing options include Linux which I know a lot of people rave about or the elixir of many a computer boffin, the Apple Mac. Always wanted Mac but could never bear to part with the cash (it's expensive!!)

Or you could just go on emule and get it free, but that's not strictly legal
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

iloverockandroll will become famous soon enough

Hi

for a start i wudnt touch Vista for at least another 6 months , its full of bugs and a lot of software you may be using with XP will not work with Vista .

also , depending on the age and the specs of your pc / laptop you may have to upgrade in order to run Vista smoothly .

Last edited by jdr; Feb 22nd 2007 at 6:50 pm. Reason: Link deleted, read rule three of the site rules.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 6:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Read about it in the LAB forum.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to all and jdr I did not realise there was a special place to go and read about it on this forum so I will be heading there some time soon...

Have to agree that all bugs and hiccups need to be sorted before proceeding into the breach as it were...
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

The I.T. guy who comes into the office I work in said "leave it alone" for a few months, everyone he deals with who have it have had problems.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:07 am
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The problem with Vista is that it is an untested product.
As with XP, Microsoft has put it on the market and the public are the guinea pigs. Even if you are a computer expert or technician you would still have to research in order to
sort out any problems, and as of today there isnt a knowledge base for them to fall back on. Ergo they will have their work cut out to overcome problems; I know its already happening to me.
Bottom line is it will cost you money to have issues fixed by a professional
and it could get expensive.
Best advice dont touch it for at least 12 months or until Service pack 1 comes out.
All donations to Nomad,s wine-drinking fund somewhere in Portugal.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

I'd wait 12 months of so. Let everyone else have all the problems and find the solutions. Most software and hardware you have may well not work with Vista so you will be creating more problems.
I'm looking at upgrading my PC, I'll be buying a machine with XP on it with an upgrade to Vista option. This way I get the best of both worlds. XP now and a free upgrade to Vista when I am ready and when they have sorted all the bugs.
As for where to buy Vista in English, sorry can't help you.
I'm in the very fortunate position of visiting the US twice a year and buy all my PC stuff there. How about getting someone in the UK to buy it from misco or a similar company and posting it out. Or bring it out on a visit. In general I don't think PC goods are very competitively priced in Spain.
Whatever way you go I wouldnt be in any hurry to purchase Vista.

Mr Brisca (as opposed to Mrs, who does most of the posting on here )
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

local wisdom from a computer agony aunt here is that, unless you computer is less tashn a few months old, forget vista, and they originally loaded it, had so many problems that they have gone back to XP. XP had it's early problems, nothing to sggest that viasta will be any better, as has been said, wait a few months, buy a new computer with Vista already loaded.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 1:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Amazon Uk will send you an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium for £80.

It is not quite correct to say that it is an untested product. The Beta version has been available to anyone who wants it and 100's of thousands of people have been using it. Personally I have been running it for over a year with no major problems.

The only hardware that I have that won't work is a 2 year old (expensive) Logitech webcam and the only reason that it wont work is because Logitech wont write new drivers for it as they want me to buy a new one!

Oh yes, and my PC is 4 years old!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Really interesting posts about this both positive and negative.

Amazon price seems reasonable for this product which at present I feel a tad too expensive as everything always is when new...