Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

So many questions!!!!

So many questions!!!!

Old May 6th 2009, 11:28 am
Just Joined

scared1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So many questions!!!!

Hi, my girlfriend is moving to spain on the 22nd of may and the whole thing terrifies me! We lost someone very close to us and since then my girlfriend hasnt been the same so she decided she needed a fresh start and im just following her but the whole thing terrifies me as iv only got about 2000e to relocate (as does she) so will have to find employment pretty quickly, im 23 and spent my life doin jobs on building sites, wud anyone be able to tell me if there wud be jobs out there open to me I cant see there being too many? Or where would be a safe secure place in the costa blanca region to rent? any reply will be greatly appreciated as im a nervous wreck about this I just want it all to go well for her sake.

Thanks!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:39 am
Just Joined

sarajade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So many questions!!!!

Originally Posted by scared1
Hi, my girlfriend is moving to spain on the 22nd of may and the whole thing terrifies me! We lost someone very close to us and since then my girlfriend hasnt been the same so she decided she needed a fresh start and im just following her but the whole thing terrifies me as iv only got about 2000e to relocate (as does she) so will have to find employment pretty quickly, im 23 and spent my life doin jobs on building sites, wud anyone be able to tell me if there wud be jobs out there open to me I cant see there being too many? Or where would be a safe secure place in the costa blanca region to rent? any reply will be greatly appreciated as im a nervous wreck about this I just want it all to go well for her sake.

Thanks!
Hi

Speaking from a personal view, after her (and your) current loss maybe a new life might not be the best idea, it will be ok to start but you really need people who love and care for you around you (belive you me, been there, done it) and living in Spain with no friends, family and a language barrier is going to put a strain on your relationship to say the least especially as you don't sound too sure anyway. Talk to her and both think carefully, if you are going to be working in the building industry you will need to speak spanish (at least a little relating to your work)

All the best
Old May 6th 2009, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sarajade
Hi

Speaking from a personal view, after her (and your) current loss maybe a new life might not be the best idea, it will be ok to start but you really need people who love and care for you around you (belive you me, been there, done it) and living in Spain with no friends, family and a language barrier is going to put a strain on your relationship to say the least especially as you don't sound too sure anyway. Talk to her and both think carefully, if you are going to be working in the building industry you will need to speak spanish (at least a little relating to your work)

All the best
Thanks for the advice and concern, our reasons are very personal I hope you understand me not explaining them but I know this is the best thing for her and thats why im doing it I would do anything for her and at this point in time its best she be away from her family. Im just a worrier im excited to go but just rather have more saved or a job lined up so i know we would be ok!
Old May 6th 2009, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: So many questions!!!!

I'm sure you will be fine, it's not 'a walk in the park' but once you're used to it it's a much better way of life out there (I had to come back in 2005 due to family illness) and am itching to get back!! try and learn some spanish (job releated), good luck with it all
Old May 6th 2009, 12:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its a much better life if you can find work. The current outlook is gloomy with circa 4 million out of work. Building is struggling as theres no demand, you'll be lucky to find work in that area.

With the current rates of exchange your £4000 wont last that long I'm afraid

If you are determined then go for it, just be aware of the pitfalls at the moment.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Do you think I would be better off moving nearer the holiday resorts for the summer and looking for work there in bars and other places like that and seeing if the life suits us over there?
Old May 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Do you think I would be better off moving nearer the holiday resorts for the summer and looking for work there in bars and other places like that and seeing if the life suits us over there?
that probably would be a better idea, also more brits in tourist areas to talk to and get help/advice from
Old May 6th 2009, 1:57 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Costa Blanca. There are jobs available but there are many chasing them. Just like in the UK, you need to convince any potential employer that you are the best man/woman for the job.

If you have no skills to offer you are very unlikely to find job in building trade at the present time. IMHO you would be better looking for work in the tourist trade. As you no doubt are aware, this is seasonal (May through September) and you will struggle to find employment thereafter.

You need to plan very carefully and seek advice from those you know who may have lived and worked in your chosen region of Spain. I would suggest you make an effort to learn spanish.

Good Luck

Last edited by missile; May 6th 2009 at 2:02 pm.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
We live in Costa Blanca. There are jobs available but there are many chasing them. Just like in the UK, you need to convince any potential employer that you are the best man/woman for the job.

If you have no skills to offer you are very unlikely to find job in building trade at the present time. IMHO you would be better looking for work in the tourist trade. As you no doubt are aware, this is seasonal (May through September) and you will struggle to find employment thereafter.

You need to plan very carefully and seek advice from those you know who may have lived and worked in your chosen region of Spain. I would suggest you make an effort to learn spanish.

Good Luck
Thanks for your help were flying into alicante on the 22nd hopefully everything will work out and staying in playa flamenca for the first two weeks, anyone know if there is much employment arond that area?
Old May 6th 2009, 4:30 pm
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Thanks!
My first thought is, no don`t go, your mad.

Having said that probably the best time to move around the world, travel and have adventures is when your young, no dependants etc etc.

Don`t go with high hopes, take it as it comes and work through each issue as they arise, don`t worry, you`ll be fine, just make sure you look after each other, especially in stressful times.

If Spain fails you, try lookin into workin for an aid agency, i did it around your age, 6 months in you`ll gain experience only seen on the news.It puts life into a different perspective.

It`s a lot easier than you think, just be positive.

Good luck.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Given what you have said, and your line of work, you will probably not find work.

I think it would be best if you treated this as a long, well deserved, 'rest'. And time to get over these losses.

Work out what you spend here in the UK. You will probably spend about the same there.

Work out how much money you've got.

Divide one by the other and this tells you how long your 'trip' is going to last.

Look for work and if you haven't found any 3 or 4 weeks before the money runs out plan your return.
Old May 6th 2009, 5:04 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Thanks for your help were flying into alicante on the 22nd hopefully everything will work out and staying in playa flamenca for the first two weeks, anyone know if there is much employment arond that area?
Hi and welcome to the forums. I live in Playa Flamenca but work in Los Alcazares in the Murcia region. There is not a lot of work around at the moment but you might be lucky enough to find work in some of the bars for the summer. You are comming at the right time for that. PM me if you want any more info or need any help when you get here. I have been here 11 years so I know a few people who might be able to help you find work.